RD's 454 Casull Scout

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

RD's 454 Casull Scout

Post by Ranch Dog »

Finally had some time to start working on my new 454 Casull rifle today. There where some questions in another post about the features of the rifle so I thought I would detail them here.

The rifle is a current production R92 manufactured in 2012 with the blue steel. As you can see, I have the scout scope base installed along with a Weaver K4 Scout scope. The front and rear sights have been removed.

The rifle has the vented recoil pad and the bolt mounted safety which will remain in place.

The 454 Casull is the only production Rossi with the threaded magazine tube, the outer tube is threaded into the receiver for security under the heavy recoil and the inner tube is threaded into the outer tube. The outer tube is cut to allow cartridge loading and the inner tube can be removed to dump the cartridges out the front of the tube.

I had purchased a stainless magazine tube follower for my 480 Ruger from Steve's Gunz. In his web store the follower had been identified as for the 454 Casull/480 Ruger but when I installed it in the Ruger chambered R92, it fell right on through the tube. It was obviously under diameter and not usable in the 480 Ruger. The 480 Ruger rifle does use a metal follower, not the current production plastic follower so it wasn't that big of an issue. This follower was a perfect fit for the 454 Casull. A pin must be punched out to remove the threaded end of the tube and then the spring and follower can be removed and replaced.

The factory sights are the better buckhorn and brass front bead but as I noted they have been removed from the rifle for scout scope use.

The scope base is not secured to the rifle at this point. Yes, it will be epoxied to the barrel to prevent any issues like I experienced with the initial shooting off my 44 Mag and 45 Colt. With a 290-grain bullet at 2000 FPS I suspect it will make the recoil of those two rifles seem light. The recoil pad will help to reduce my felt recoil. I know, I know, Ranch Dog and his Krazy Glue. I even have a synthetic cheek piece enroute to the ranch. I experienced the beating scope shooting the 480 Ruger delivered without a proper cheek fit to the stock. I don't want to experience it on this rifle.

Anyway, a bit of work to do but this will be a slow one as hunting season is winding down. I know I need to check the barrel band and forearm relief plus the usual cleanup.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: RD's 454 Casull Scout

Post by pricedo »

Your Braztech R92 is identical to my Amadeo Rossi M92 "PUMA" except that your rifle has the pigtail safety on the bolt and mine doesn't.
The metal parts should be equivalent in precision and quality because both guns were made after the CNC retooling of the factory in Brazil.
Hope yours "cleans-up" to be the superb slick actioned, accurate & dependable gun that mine is.
I love my M92/454.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Looks good hope she performs well
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

akuser47 wrote:Looks good hope she performs well
If it doesn't out comes the ole tool box.... old hat for Rossi owners.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
44WCF

Post by 44WCF »

the wood looks pretty nice on that one.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

44WCF wrote:the wood looks pretty nice on that one.
I got to say that I don't have an issue with the wood on any of my Rossi's. Each and everyone of them has their own unique grain but all look good.
Michael
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Your furniture does look nice. My 2010 Puma looks like it has pine furniture dipped in used diesel engine oil. I confess I expected as much but didn't care. I wanted a short stainless 45 that could fall in a creek, bang against rocks, and keep on ticking.

Following my bird dogs on a weekend romp through the woods can be hard on guns. I wasn't about to spend $700 (then) on a Marlin CB and worry about the finish, wood or metal. Sure enough, the first hike with it exactly that happened.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
44WCF

Post by 44WCF »

does it have a saddle ring?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

44WCF wrote:does it have a saddle ring?
If you are asking about my 454, no it doesn't. Just the straight "001" carbine.
Michael
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

Jealous... Where did you find a 454!?
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson