RD's 454 Casull Scout

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RD's 454 Casull Scout

Post by Ranch Dog »

Quinc wrote:Jealous... Where did you find a 454!?
GunBroker. I had a "saved" search set up that would email me when a blued rifle was listed. A Davidison's dealer had three or four of them listed in a row. I just could not stand it!

Since the 30th, I've been under the weather or I would have already shot it. Just a minor bug I picked up from my grandchildren.
Michael
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

Pretty neat. I have very little interest in 454 revolvers, but think the Rossi 454 carbines are pretty neat. Something about a little carbine the size of a .22 holding a tube full of near-factory-45-70 ballistic cartridges that makes me smile.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Barry in IN wrote:Pretty neat. I have very little interest in 454 revolvers, but think the Rossi 454 carbines are pretty neat. Something about a little carbine the size of a .22 holding a tube full of near-factory-45-70 ballistic cartridges that makes me smile.
The Hornady 454 Casull 300 gr XTP® Mag factory ammo fired from a vented action revolver pushes a 300 grain bullet @ 1650 fps for a muzzle energy of 1800 ft-lbs.
I guesstimate that you can add 350 - 400 fps velocity to the same 300 grain bullet fired from a 16" barreled closed action rifle for about 2000 fps and 2660 ft-lbs.
That's pretty impressive ballistics for a rifle that weighs in at less than 5 pounds.

The much vaunted 325 grain Hornady 45-70 LeveRevolution round bullet exits the muzzle of a rifle that is 2.5 pounds heavier @ 2050 fps for a muzzle energy of 3030 fps.
Only 400 ft-lbs difference for the privilege of lugging a much heavier rifle through the bush.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've been looking at through QuickLoad and I believe I will see 2005 FPS with my 290-grain TLC454-290-RF. With 2550 FPE at the muzzle, nothing to sneeze at. I will be looking at a custom bullet for it as I noted earlier.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Even one of those odd looking cross between a moose and antelope Nilguy you have wandering the Texas bush will be biting the dust after being hit with that 454 Casull 290 grainer packing that kind of horsepower.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:Even one of those odd looking cross between a moose and antelope Nilguy you have wandering the Texas bush will be biting the dust after being hit with that 454 Casull 290 grainer packing that kind of horsepower.
Yeah, I think it will do the trick!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I would have no qualms about going after elk with my 20" bbl 92/454 & the Hornady 300 grain XTP.
I don't have a problem with the factory iron sights out to 50 yards or even beyond.
Practice makes perfect and after 1000 or so rounds downrange I had no problems grouping within 2.5" at 75 yards off a shooting stick rest.
Before you scoff at the 2.5" try it some time with iron sights off one of the portable shooting stick rests.
My elk never took another step after being walloped with a 430 grain lead (HSM factory ammo) pill @ 1750 fps from one of my rehabilitated Remlin Guide Guns last fall.
My northern Ontario cow moose grunted loudly took a couple of steps and collapsed front first down the bank of a shallow stream after a 80 yard frontal shot that devastated the lungs.
The heavy hardened lead bullets really penetrate.
These animals were "deflated" in the classic sense of the word.
I am a true believer in heavy for caliber hard cast bullets after last fall.
There is a local company that makes high quality hard cast bullets and I think I'll develop a load for my Rossi M92/454 based on those.
I'd like to push one that is 300 grain or over.
I'll have to be cognizant of COAL for action cycling and leaving sufficient powder volume for a charge of the appropriate powder (Likely W296/H110) to generate the desired velocity.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Developing a lead load for the 454 will be a good opportunity to dust off my copy of Quick Load.
That in conjunction with the umpteen dozen loading handbooks (especially the Lee & Lyman manuals) I have should enable me to conjecture a good starting load.
The loading book loads have the advantage of having being thoroughly tested in universal receiver test barrels.
The QL loads will be theoretical.
Both tools I feel will be useful.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Still down a bit with the flu so I was unable to return to work today. This afternoon I thought I would tear into the Casull, a complete disassembly and clean up.

The relief for the barrel band screw was the worse yet of my six 92s. Absolutely awful. It looked like they cut the relief with a welding torch, never seen anything like it. I had to use a punch to get the screw out. Did the work I detailed elsewhere on this forum and was done in less than 5 minutes.

I pulled the butt stock off and it is cracked inside. I've had a Marlin with the same crack and fixed it so will do the same with this rifle. That means that I will go straight into refinishing the stocks, my plan is just to use linseed oil as I am happy with the color.
cracke_stock.jpg
I'm not sure if you will be able to see it or not but another reason to pull the forearm is to check for rust on the magazine tube and barrel. My experience has been that it is usually the tube as it has a lighter bluing. I'm with the Pricedo, I think the wood has a certain acidity that leads to this. Very easy to clean up and treat the wood with linseed oil to prevent more of the same.
mag_tube_01.jpg
This photo shows the threaded part of the magazine tube, it just screws down tight into the receiver. The inner tube is in the outer tube and you can see that I've replaced the plastic follower with a stainless follower.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

Nice tips. Thanks!

Your screwdrivers are laid out way too neat.