Update on Action Job and Funky Stock

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Lostcoast

Update on Action Job and Funky Stock

Post by Lostcoast »

I didn't want to hijack Tazman's thread so I thought I would start this one.

Thanks for the instruction on the other thread re: the cartridge carrier, Logonut.

After installing the Gunslinger spring kit (minus the trigger spring) and going through various mild adventures I managed to put everything back together and now the carrier works fine, and the rifle is chambering and ejecting cartridges with no problem. It seems that the Gunslinger ejector spring that I received in the kit is the correct one, as the ejector is slinging still-loaded cartridges much closer to me than the stock spring was doing. I have not shot the rifle yet but hope to within the next several days. After my newbie action smoothing job the action is glass smooth and the trigger is superb - beginners luck!

After talking to some managers in CS at Taurus last week about the lame stock on my rifle they said they will be sending me a new stock set at no charge. They acknowledged that there ar problems at Braztec re: quality control and asked me to send an actual letter with photos of the poor stock shaping and wood-to-metal fit of my rifle so they could take it higher up the chain. They seemed very sincere about making things right...

I was hoping to fix the original stock fitting and shaping myself but the forearm was so misshapen that there was no fix for it that would have allowed for correct final dimensions. See here:

Here are the other areas where the fit was not up to par:

I will report back soon after shooting the rifle.

Happy Holidays Everyone - I appreciate the help you have given me!

Kevin
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Update on Action Job and Funky Stock

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great to hear they are interested in making it right!
Michael
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

Hey man I wouldn't have taken offense at all, glad to hear you got yours to the same point I have mine now! They sure are fun when they're right and for the price I can live with having to work on them a bit!

Also glad to hear your ejector spring was right out of that kit, I have another one coming because Santa got me another Rossi.....16" barrel instead of 24" for this one and big loop and saddle ring. Should be a great woods carry and still in 357/38! Can't wait to tear into another one!

I don't think it's beginners luck, these are great rifles and this forum is a WEALTH of information! Who is "CS"? Anyway glad they are making the stock right for you!

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt
Lostcoast

Post by Lostcoast »

Hey Tazman,

Glad to hear that you have another Rossi coming your way. I'm already thinking of getting a 44mag in SS sometime..

CS stands for Customer Service. Tomorrow I'll be calling Taurus CS to make sure my replacement stock in on its way..

Happy Holidays to you,
Kevin
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I think it is all fixable and looks like a fun project I like wood stocks and I have seen worse. Hope they make it right for you.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

A picture is worth a thousand words and the fact that guns with w/m fit as atrocious as the preceding pictures portray make it to customers says a lot about Rossi/Braztech QC.
Just like in the 80s the guns are still "thrown" together and drop into a box at the Brazil factory.
Thanks to CNC computer guided metal cutting and machining processes the metal parts of the gun are usually dimensioned and finished correctly & for me that's all I care about....I can fix wood problems and polish off metal burrs.
One of the things I liked about buying a new Rossi 92 over the years was looking forward to hand finishing the stock myself.......as if I really had a choice in the matter. :mrgreen:
At times I'd even have to take a file to a butt plate or forearm band to consummate the marriage of wood & metal.
Some people buy books of crossword puzzles to help idle away the winter months.
I just buy another Rossi and I'm assured of hours of interesting work doing the finishing work Rossi didn't do that saved me upwards of $1000 on the purchase price.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

pricedo wrote:A picture is worth a thousand words and the fact that guns with w/m fit as atrocious as the preceding pictures portray make it to customers says a lot about Rossi/Braztech QC.
Just like in the 80s the guns are still "thrown" together and drop into a box at the Brazil factory.
Thanks to CNC computer guided metal cutting and machining processes the metal parts of the gun are usually dimensioned and finished correctly & for me that's all I care about....I can fix wood problems and polish off metal burrs.
One of the things I liked about buying a new Rossi 92 over the years was looking forward to hand finishing the stock myself.......as if I really had a choice in the matter. :mrgreen:
At times I'd even have to take a file to a butt plate or forearm band to consummate the marriage of wood & metal.
Some people buy books of crossword puzzles to help idle away the winter months.
I just buy another Rossi and I'm assured of hours of interesting work doing the finishing work Rossi didn't do that saved me upwards of $1000 on the purchase price.
I agree 100%
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Lostcoast wrote:Hey Tazman,

Glad to hear that you have another Rossi coming your way. I'm already thinking of getting a 44mag in SS sometime..

CS stands for Customer Service. Tomorrow I'll be calling Taurus CS to make sure my replacement stock in on its way..

Happy Holidays to you,
Kevin
You think that's a bad stock :?: .........I've seen much worse..........some split right up the middle.

Hint: Get a well stocked wood working/shaping kit, fine & course sandpaper, wood clamps for holding glued parts together while curing, some epoxy for repairing splits and cracks, an assortment of veneers, varnishes, stains, wood filler compound, several sizes & shapes of wood & metal files & save yourself months of waiting time, shipping costs and a whole lot of fruitless phone calls with lame excuses on the other end and eliminate needless frustration and develop a new skill-set.

You'll be surprised at how good you can do.........even the first time.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Believe me when I say (speaking from experience) that if you're planning on "getting into" Rossi rifles the above described wood working/repair kit is going to get alotta use. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Lostcoast

Post by Lostcoast »

I had already planned to do some reshaping and also refinishing of the stock and would not have minded working on the wood-metal fit of this stock, but the fact that the forearm has that big dip in the front of the upper surface seems to me to make it impossible to fix without compromising the ability to have a straight line along the entire upper surface of the forearm.