Experiences of a a Novice Reloader

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!

Re: Experiences of a a Novice Reloader

Postby Coote » 21 Jul 2019 04

Thanks Mr Surveyor. Do you shoot both jacketed and cast lead projectiles out of the same gun? If so, do you have some special cleaning program you follow after you've fired the jacketed rounds? I've heard things that suggest that barrels with copper fouling may not shoot lead so well afterwards. I've never experimented, preferring to shoot just one or the other in a certain rifle. And frankly I don't think the problem is likely to be all that significant if the rifle has a good bore and the lead bullets have good lubricant. But I certainly would be interested to learn about other peoples' views on this.
Coote

My Rossi Choice: M92

Postby GasGuzzler » 21 Jul 2019 04

What is twist rate on the "Bergara break-action single shot .357"? I am having trouble finding any information on that rifle. I'm guessing it's 1:16" or so for it to shoot so well with such low velocity. If you want an R92 to shoot you gotta push it a lot harder than 900 FPS because of the 1:30" twist...and TrailBoss won't come close.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
GasGuzzler
Supporter
Supporter

My Rossi Choice: Revolver

Postby Coote » 21 Jul 2019 05

I haven't found any info on what the Bergara twist rate is. I will push a cleaning rod through it and see what it indicates... then report back. It certainly appears to have more twist than the Rossi.
Coote

Postby Ranch Dog » 21 Jul 2019 17

The Bergara looks like what CVA was importing in first as the Hunter and then the Scout. I don't think they ever offered it in 357 Mag. The website currently shows the only offering as the 44 Mag. I had a Hunter chambered in 35 Rem. A friend of mine liked it so well; I gave it to him.

The CVA Scout 44 Mag lists a 1:20 twist. The SAAMI spec for a 44 Mag rifle calls for 1:38. At least someone is using their noggin!
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Rossi Choice: Rio Grande

Postby Coote » 21 Jul 2019 20

I just pushed a cleaning rod with a tight patch down the bore. The barrel is pretty short (16.5 inches) and when you subtract the chamber length from that there isn't much to work with. So my rod did not make one complete turn in the rifling. I made a mark on the rod and when it turned about 180 degrees I measured the distance it had travelled through the bore then doubled it for the calculation. It appears that the rifling twist is close to one turn in 18 inches. Maybe 17. I should do it again with something better than a pen mark on the rod... maybe a bit of wire sticking out radially.

It seems like Bergara made a batch of these .357s because the NZ importer asked specifically for them.

I've seen them around here in .308 and 44 magnum. I think there is also a 45-70 available. The .44 mag often gets referred to as a 'pigger' as they are marketing it to the guys who hunt hogs with dogs.

The bare rifle is priced at NZ$1000 down here. By comparison, the latest price for a .357 Rossi 92 in stainless with a 16 inch barrel is around NZ$1200. The Henry .357 single shot was going to cost me NZ$899.
Coote

Previous

Return to Handloading