Two new Rossi's

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Two new Rossi's

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Thought I would share what I saw when I unpacked two new Rossi's today. Both M-92's, 20" blue. They were covered in a heavy grease, hard to wipe off and in the actions as well. After wiping off the outside, I cycled the actions and was surprised how smooth they were compared to the Marlins we have on the shelf, as smooth as the Henry Golden Boys we have on the shelf. Triggers were quite usable as is, didn't have time to check the weight, but let off was very clean on both. Bluing and metal polish is a step above the Marlins, finish on the wood is as good as the new Marlins we have meaning it needs to be done by the buyer for a nice finish. All in all, they are a pretty good value at $470.00 out the door. I may have to give one of em a new home, need to replace the 20" 357 I sold back to the guy I bought it from. (His wife wanted it back.) DP
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Two new Rossi's

Post by akuser47 »

Nice glad you have some good ones.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good deal, what cartridges are they chambered in?
Michael
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Sorry, 357 mag. and 45 colt are what they are chambered for. Compared to what I have put on the shelf and seen in other gunshops, I was impressed with what I see and the price I put on them. DP
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Good to hear! While I am trying to hold out for the M92 454 there is a couple local stainless 92's in .357 that have also been haunting me for several weeks. Just a matter of time now for me... :D
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

Arktikos wrote:Good to hear! While I am trying to hold out for the M92 454 there is a couple local stainless 92's in .357 that have also been haunting me for several weeks. Just a matter of time now for me... :D
The 454 is turning out to be the Rossi Unicorn!
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Quinc wrote:
Arktikos wrote:Good to hear! While I am trying to hold out for the M92 454 there is a couple local stainless 92's in .357 that have also been haunting me for several weeks. Just a matter of time now for me... :D
The 454 is turning out to be the Rossi Unicorn!
There's more 454s than 480s out there.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

dpe.ahoy wrote:Thought I would share what I saw when I unpacked two new Rossi's today. Both M-92's, 20" blue. They were covered in a heavy grease, hard to wipe off and in the actions as well. After wiping off the outside, I cycled the actions and was surprised how smooth they were compared to the Marlins we have on the shelf, as smooth as the Henry Golden Boys we have on the shelf. Triggers were quite usable as is, didn't have time to check the weight, but let off was very clean on both. Bluing and metal polish is a step above the Marlins, finish on the wood is as good as the new Marlins we have meaning it needs to be done by the buyer for a nice finish. All in all, they are a pretty good value at $470.00 out the door. I may have to give one of em a new home, need to replace the 20" 357 I sold back to the guy I bought it from. (His wife wanted it back.) DP
The best thing I've found so far for cutting the Rossi/Taurus factory grease is rubbing alcohol. It not only cuts it the alcohol will evaporate making it easier to clean after the grease is gone. I then follow it with normal cleaning fluids and oil/grease. I personally use tetra grease, CLP combo and clean with gun scrubber on guns I shoot smokeless powder through but use Ballistol solution for black powder which on occasion do shoot through my M92 45 Colt.
Joe
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

nonchlorinated brake cleaner in the can at any auto shop is a greasy guns worst enemy bar none. and it evaporates very fast. I have used it when I had cases of mosin 91/30 I bought years ago that cosmo grease had tree sap like chunks that had hardened. Break cleaner takes it off no matter what grease.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
larryp

Post by larryp »

akuser47 wrote:nonchlorinated brake cleaner in the can at any auto shop is a greasy guns worst enemy bar none. and it evaporates very fast. I have used it when I had cases of mosin 91/30 I bought years ago that cosmo grease had tree sap like chunks that had hardened. Break cleaner takes it off no matter what grease.
Another vote for brake cleaner. I've used it on yugo sks's that were caked in cosmo and in ak mags. Another good degreaser is plain old fashioned kerosene. It doesn't evaporate though but will cut through any grease out there. I've had ak mags with thick hardened grease that nothing else would cut through. Soaked them in kerosene a few minutes and it just wiped off.