New Rossi With Poor Wood-Metal Fitting, Etc

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Lostcoast

Re: New Rossi With Poor Wood-Metal Fitting, Etc

Post by Lostcoast »

I have to disagree about lowering expectations for a rifle unless one pays top dollar for it. Every (older) Marlin I own, for that matter every older gun of every brand I own (which is most of the guns I own) have a nice metal-to-wood finish - and none of them were top dollar guns at the time they were produced. Many modern guns I have seen on the gun store racks are very decently made - and they aren't top dollar either.

The problem with Braztec is not that they are incapable of putting out a quality rifle for the money, because sometimes they do. For instance every stainless R92 I saw on the rack at my local sporting goods store had nice m-w fitting. The problem is not their capacity, it is their lack of consistency, meaning a lack of a base standard that their rifles must show in order to have the honor of being shipped to their customers. Alienate enough customers with poor quality and the bottom line will hurt even more than if basic QC standards are met.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Some gun designs lend themselves to mass production & need little or no intensive labor involvement.
The "package guns" by Savage & Weatherby that sell for $300 or less are designed based on the above production paradigm.
Winchester 92s with their 2 piece banded wooden stocks & a plethora of small metal parts that need to fit precisely together don't lend themselves to "blind" totally automated mass production processes.

I thinks it's amazing that Mossberg can produce a relatively problem free Winnie 94 knock-off for less than $400.
Why can't Braztech/Rossi reach the same level of proficiency producing a gun that costs $300 more?
When you find out let me know. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Lostcoast wrote:Every (older) Marlin I own, for that matter every older gun of every brand I own (which is most of the guns I own) have a nice metal-to-wood finish - and none of them were top dollar guns at the time they were produced.
That is the great thing about a used firearm is that that it has been past the first QC test, the first owner. Once they have turned a few times, everything is usually worked out if they have been cared for. Most firearms will never have enough ammo through them to hurt them, it is what happens in between the shooting that matters.

I started thinking about my Marlins, JM rifles, purchased in the latter years. It seems the Company really took a nose dive about the time of the introduction of the Express rifles. I sent these back: 308ME, 338ME, 1894S, 336BL, and 1894C which is still not right but I didn't want to send it to Remington. I also purchased a 444 at the very end being they were dropped. It had the cursed short chamber, never shot it but measured it, I just turned around and sold it new in the box. That is six rifles in a row, all new, that had to be turned around and sent back. Being a Marlin nut I was quite disappointed and really saw my attitude change toward the Company. Before the Remington deal, I had already decided that I was done with them and just did not express it as I was in a business that supported the rifles. That is why I don't ride on the "JM" band wagon. They let me down and cost me a lot of money as they didn't pay shipping back like Rossi does.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Some members have had issues with Braztech/Rossi QC & CS.
I don't want anything to change at Rossi.............either the guns or the price........except perhaps for more model selection.
Finding a gun with a cracked stock or conspicuously poor w/m fit on the rack or in the hands of a peeved off owner with everything else OK is leverage for a discount as far as I'm concerned.
I'd rather pay say $400 for a discounted gun with minor "wood problems" that I can fix in a day rather than shell out $1500 for an equivalent perfect-in-box gun.
There are far fewer metal problems now than in the days before Amadeo Rossi retooled their factory with CNC technology in the early 2000s.
I recall an Amadeo Rossi 92 in 44-40 that had a split forearm and a very stiff action that I got on the rebound from a disgusted/disgruntled owner who called me about buying it.
I told him I'd take it off his hands for $100 off the purchase price considering the outstanding issues.
Within a week I had the forearm repaired & oil finished & the gun slicked up & sold it for a nice profit cause I'm not into 44-40s........this was long before the SG DVD was even contemplated.
I love Rossi .........I don't want them to change a single thing.........we have enough gun brands at the super-expensive end of the spectrum.
If can take out my tool box &/or wood working kit & by doing so save a bundle.......that's where I'm at. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote: I don't want anything to change at Rossi.............either the guns or the price........except perhaps for more model selection.
+1

Posted via Tapatalk while hunting!
Michael
tnjsin

Post by tnjsin »

Just picked up my first Rossi 92 357 with a 16" barrel today. Every thing matches up well. . Is it fitted like a 2000 dollar rifle? No, but its a solid rifle, the action is smooth and cycles 38's well (dont have any 357's on hand to run through it). I like it so much Im already think'n I need a 20" :D . Hopefully weather permitting I can get it out to the range this weekend to see how it shoots.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Upgrading your Rossi.......the sky's the limit

Post by pricedo »

As long as the hardware is sound you can make your Rossis as fancy as you want.
Most of them will knock over a hog or deer out of the box at 50 yards without doing a thing to them.
How far you want to go in spiffing & fancying up your Rossi is up to you.
I touch up the w/m fit & rub on a boiled linseed oil finish.
Some might want to buy real walnut blanks for $120 -$150 & replace the factory stock.......my factory stocks look fine with an oil finish & I keep the money in my pocket.
I spend most of my upgrade time spiffing up the action with a good cleaning, deburring & oiling.
I am very pleased with the way my 3 M92s turned out........ actions as slick as frogs snot & attractive in a utilitarian sort of way.

Taking a look at some of the Rossi 92 rifles pictured here & on the Steve's Gunz website will give you a few examples of "eye candy" Rossis.............keep em plain or make em fancy..........the sky's the limit. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Trailboss
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Trailboss »

Each of my Rossi M92s came with wood to metal fit that could be improved so I improved it. I broke each down and sanded, rounded, stained, finished, all a labor of love. I enjoyed every minute I spent and I now have thee lever actions that have a wonderful quality feel and are smooth as silk. Each is 100% reliable in function and they look great. I paid $300-$415 for each and wouldn't sell em for double that. I'll pass them onto my grandkids some day.
Aim small, miss small.
Lostcoast

Post by Lostcoast »

If my Rossi had cost only $300 I would consider it enough of a bargain to be happy with funky stock fitting. But at nearly $500 I do expect more. However, like others here, I will also enjoy the process of making it 'right' through stock shaping and refinishing and action smoothing etc.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Lostcoast wrote:If my Rossi had cost only $300 I would consider it enough of a bargain to be happy with funky stock fitting. But at nearly $500 I do expect more. However, like others here, I will also enjoy the process of making it 'right' through stock shaping and refinishing and action smoothing etc.
2 hunting friends of mine have the Mossberg 464 Winchester 94 knockoffs in 30-30 & report no problems with fit & finish, functionality, accuracy or reliability.
This is fantastic knowing that the blue, straight butt stock version 464 sells for $350.........just 2 reports so far.......but 2/2 YAYs is a good start. :)
The Rossi 92s have broken the $600 threshold in some areas............THAT'S NOT A CHEAP GUN ! :shock:
As I said before I personally don't care about the minor defects & shortcomings as long as the metal hardware is fixable........wood problems with Rossi leverguns I can fix with my eyes shut I've done it so often.
I'll likely tinker with the gun whether it's short of the mark on cosmetics or not.........a rough action, poor w/m fit or a cracked stock just gives me an excuse +ty to do so.

Seems Mossberg has a handle on QC in the production of a much cheaper gun.........and the 94 action is more complicated than the 92 action...........what's up with Rossi? :?:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA