New Rossi With Poor Wood-Metal Fitting, Etc

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Lostcoast

Re: New Rossi With Poor Wood-Metal Fitting, Etc

Post by Lostcoast »

Brownell's doesn't seem to sell the stock set for the Rossi now but Precision Gun Works Inc does. However the set is $128.00 - which would make my Rossi a much more expensive rifle than I intended, despite my love for genuine walnut...
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Lostcoast wrote:Brownell's doesn't seem to sell the stock set for the Rossi now but Precision Gun Works Inc does. However the set is $128.00 - which would make my Rossi a much more expensive rifle than I intended, despite my love for genuine walnut...
$128 is a lot ! :o
If I recall correctly the original Brownell kit was made by PGW but Brownells sold it cheaper than PGW did.....go figure ! :?:
If you saw the 92 I sold after the work was done you'd order 1 in a jiffy.
That thing was eye candy with that linseed oil finished stock. :D
It took a few dollars to break my grip on it when my hunting buddy bought it...........like they say........anything is for sale if my price is met.
Nice rich walnut furniture :?: VS a Braztech "amateur hour" botch job delivered in 3 months :?: .........I know that my mind would already be made up. :mrgreen:
You might have to look at that gun every fall for a number of years & I know I hate having junky looking guns in my hands or slung over my shoulder.........it's just NOT me. :D
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Lostcoast

Post by Lostcoast »

I know what you mean, Pricedo, and I am the same. I had already planned to strip and reshape and refinish the stock that came with the Rossi in order to make it 'more better' - but I did not want to have to re-inlet the buttplate too, and thus my decision to send it back to Taurus for repair.

Dangit, I kept telling myself this would be my harder used, my more 'unsentimental' rifle, as opposed to my older and much more rare Marlin 1894C, that deserves to be protected and babied. But now you have me thinking of a nice authentic walnut stock on my Rossi and I feel my resolve slipping...
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Lostcoast wrote:I know what you mean, Pricedo, and I am the same. I had already planned to strip and reshape and refinish the stock that came with the Rossi in order to make it 'more better' - but I did not want to have to re-inlet the buttplate too, and thus my decision to send it back to Taurus for repair.

Dangit, I kept telling myself this would be my harder used, my more 'unsentimental' rifle, as opposed to my older and much more rare Marlin 1894C, that deserves to be protected and babied. But now you have me thinking of a nice authentic walnut stock on my Rossi and I feel my resolve slipping...
Get the stock :!:
It'll increase the saleability of the gun if you want to let it go later on which you probably won't.
If my buddy resold the reworked M92 I sold him (and which he has cared for like an only child) he'd ask & get significantly more than a new R92 is worth. :D
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

You buy a new truck and the drivers side window doesn't roll down two days after you buy it...do you start by taking the door panel off, buffing out all the plastic parts and fitting things back together ? Do you order a new door made by an after market company?

I take it back to the dealer and get it fixed...if they can't fix it RIGHT then I get my money back

Now 5 years later, after the warranty is gone I start buffing plastic parts...

If you don't care about the warranty or dropping the 4-5 bills then buff away..
Lostcoast

Post by Lostcoast »

Buffing plastic parts...Interesting analogy and I agree generally with the sentiment but unless I missed something it is not altogether applicable in this situation. I already knew in the best case scenario (i.e., the Rossi stocks fit correctly) that I would still be altering them to more closely approximate the shape and finish that I wanted. I considered this a welcome and interesting winter project to personalize my Rossi into something better than what it arrived as. I will be sending the rifle back to Taurus for the replacement stocks - unless I decide to go with Pricedo's suggestion of replacing the lame stocks that my rifle came with by the purchase of walnut stocks. Which, if it increases the resale value of the rifle, could be a good option..
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

golfish wrote: If you don't care about the warranty or dropping the 4-5 bills then buff away..
Cars ain't guns......just can't get into the new plastic cars like I did the old vettes & t-birds that had points & condensers instead of electronic circuit boards & computers ....but I still like to fine tune & tinker with my guns.......especially the legacy stuff like my Rossi 92s.

Just call me:

Buffy the Rossi fixer :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Lostcoast wrote:Buffing plastic parts...Interesting analogy and I agree generally with the sentiment but unless I missed something it is not altogether applicable in this situation. I already knew in the best case scenario (i.e., the Rossi stocks fit correctly) that I would still be altering them to more closely approximate the shape and finish that I wanted. I considered this a welcome and interesting winter project to personalize my Rossi into something better than what it arrived as. I will be sending the rifle back to Taurus for the replacement stocks - unless I decide to go with Pricedo's suggestion of replacing the lame stocks that my rifle came with by the purchase of walnut stocks. Which, if it increases the resale value of the rifle, could be a good option..

I'm with you on this...I'm all for cleaning up the workings of any gun if its needed. I just want to make sure I start with one that works.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

golfish wrote:
Lostcoast wrote:Buffing plastic parts...Interesting analogy and I agree generally with the sentiment but unless I missed something it is not altogether applicable in this situation. I already knew in the best case scenario (i.e., the Rossi stocks fit correctly) that I would still be altering them to more closely approximate the shape and finish that I wanted. I considered this a welcome and interesting winter project to personalize my Rossi into something better than what it arrived as. I will be sending the rifle back to Taurus for the replacement stocks - unless I decide to go with Pricedo's suggestion of replacing the lame stocks that my rifle came with by the purchase of walnut stocks. Which, if it increases the resale value of the rifle, could be a good option..

I'm with you on this...I'm all for cleaning up the workings of any gun if its needed. I just want to make sure I start with one that works.
If I can fix it (& I usually can) I fix it.
If I can't fix it....it goes back.
Sending stuff back to Rossi in the past was like letting the pot ride in Las Vegas on another roll of the dice.....you could wind up with a crappier gun than you started with.
I have been told on this forum that the new Braztech company is better though I must admit that all the recent factual information to date belies that position.
I've got my 3 beautiful 92s & an equally beautiful RG so my Rossi experience has been positive overall................now I take precautions and never buy a Rossi/Remlin sight unseen........but that's just cynical old me. +blah
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Armed in Utah

Post by Armed in Utah »

My recent M92 purchase...a 20" oct/CH 45 Colt...waited 6 months for delivery only to open the factory sealed box and find that the butt stock on the rifle was cracked....that was nearly 4 months ago in September...me like a dummy..I send back the broken stock to Braztech in FL at my $11 expense...thinking it would be a quick exchange..ha ha....joke is on me...4 phones calls to Braztech on my dime...C/S says stock still BO'd...I've got a rifle that I waited all this time for & can't use...yes I should have just glued the broken piece of wood back...live & learn..I did manage to borrow a M92 butt stock from a friend so I have run 200 rds or so out...just plinker loads..Trailboss & 250 grain laser cast slugs..Also had Steve's Gunz do an action job on it...so I'm $800 into this M92... :x what I should have done was put the $800 into a Marlin 1894 45 Colt...'JM' stamped of course...Braztech really needs to sharpen their C/S skills..I have bought my last new Rossi/Braztech....