New Rossi With Poor Wood-Metal Fitting, Etc

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Rossi With Poor Wood-Metal Fitting, Etc

Post by Ranch Dog »

Armed in Utah wrote:so I'm $800 into this M92... :x what I should have done was put the $800 into a Marlin 1894 45 Colt...'JM' stamped of course...
Sorry you are having problems but don't think for a moment that "JM" wasn't without their own issues. In fact, a Marlin 1894S chambered in 45 Colt stamped with "JM" is what specifically soured me on Marlin despite owning 49 of their rifles. I have a special run "S" that was made in the 1894P configuration, a Guide Gun, that has a bad barrel and I'm in it for what you are in your Rossi for. The rear sight dovetail is severely crushed, cutting across the rifling. It is hard to get a good picture of it but this is through the receiver and I've highlighted the dovetail cut with arrows.
1894S_barrel.jpg
I sent this rifle immediately back to Marlin and they held on to it for six months but after dealing with the witch that always answered the phone up there, they sent it back to me without doing a damned thing. Is was a run of 500 and they said they did not have any replacement barrels. They could have told me that before I shipped it at my expense but based on other CS claims I had with "JM", I learned that they always doubted what the customer said. They had me send them the rifle at my expense so they could see the cut for themselves and then sat on their thumbs because they didn't care enough to tell me that had dorked up my rifle. I wanted a refund but it never went anywhere so I had the rifle sent back to me. Since their demise there has a been a tendency to idolize "JM" Marlins but I can assure you it was and always will be buyer beware when it comes to any firearm purchase. I'm durn sure not defending Rossi either. I mean it, guys need to look over everything and stop accepting bad rifles (myself included).

This is a neat little rifle but it would be tough to sell disclosing the issue. The first time the barrel was cleaned the buyer would have a heart attack and be %@*&$ off. This isn't something that can be lapped, the barrel is crushed. I can make it shoot large cast bullets but jacketed bullets are another story. It sits in the back of my safe unused.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Armed in Utah

Post by Armed in Utah »

Ouch....thats a real bummer.......my experience with Marlin was better to say the least...but that was 12 yrs ago too...I really like my 'new' M92 45...Steve really slicked up the action and it hits where you point it...maybe someday Braztech will pull their head out and provide C/S for their products...until then I'm waiting for a ship from Brazil...... :lol:
Lostcoast

Post by Lostcoast »

I just finished a letter that I will be mailing and perhaps also emailing to the CEO, the Director of Sales and the Manager of Customer Service at Taurus. The more they hear from us the more chance there is of them changing their ways, particularly if we say that we will only buy used Marlins in the future if Rossi cannot improve their customer service...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Lostcoast wrote:I just finished a letter that I will be mailing and perhaps also emailing to the CEO, the Director of Sales and the Manager of Customer Service at Taurus.
So far I've been lucky but I wouldn't hesitate to give them an earful if needed.

Waiting for stocks to come from Brazil is really out there.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: REALITY CHECK

Post by pricedo »

Everybody wants quality control & hand finishing in a gun but you have to be careful what you wish for.
Quality control isn't just 2 words........it adds substantially to the factory unit cost of producing a firearm.
Hand finishing is not feasible except for the most expensive firearms......... Italian clones, Miroku built Winchesters, Turnbull custom guns which start at well over $1000.
No company can afford to make guns at a loss so we won't be getting exacting quality control, hand finishing & 100% guaranteed functionality out of the box in $500 - $600 budget priced utility guns.
I think Braztech is putting out a pretty decent product considering the cutthroat fiscal realities of the 21st. century market place where gun companies are underselling each other producing package guns (gun + mounted scope) for less than $300 :!:
Do the math.......if Rossi is to remain a budget priced gun we won't be putting our tool boxes away any time soon. +blah
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: REALITY CHECK

Post by akuser47 »

pricedo wrote:Everybody wants quality control & hand finishing in a gun but you have to be careful what you wish for.
Quality control isn't just 2 words........it adds substantially to the factory unit cost of producing a firearm.
Hand finishing is not feasible except for the most expensive firearms......... Italian clones, Miroku built Winchesters, Turnbull custom guns which start at well over $1000.
No company can afford to make guns at a loss so we won't be getting exacting quality control, hand finishing & 100% guaranteed functionality out of the box in $500 - $600 budget priced utility guns.
I think Braztech is putting out a pretty decent product considering the cutthroat fiscal realities of the 21st. century market place where gun companies are underselling each other producing package guns (gun + mounted scope) for less than $300 :!:
Do the math.......if Rossi is to remain a budget priced gun we won't be putting our tool boxes away any time soon. +blah
Good summation I agree though I would like to know they were made with better Q.C., but I really would rather not have to pay the increase in price for it though. I nin most cases can avoid lemons who knows though maybe I will get a lemon on my next lever.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

+blah +zzz
I'm going to do my broken record thing again so if you're tired feel free to be lulled to sleep.
I minimize the odds of getting a lemon but not buying Rossis sight unseen.
If I can't handle and function test a Rossi off the rack I have no interest in it.
It's a rule of thumb I have followed since getting badly "stung" on an Amadeo Rossi with a malformed chamber/barrel assembly back in the 80's.
Experience can indeed be a dear teacher.
I have been buying, fixing up & selling Rossis for a very long time.

I am always on the look out for the old Navy Arms Rossis as they are substantially higher quality than the run of the mill factory guns. They are also substantially more money.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:.

This is a neat little rifle but it would be tough to sell disclosing the issue. The first time the barrel was cleaned the buyer would have a heart attack and be * off. This isn't something that can be lapped, the barrel is crushed. I can make it shoot large cast bullets but jacketed bullets are another story. It sits in the back of my safe unused.
That's nice looking wood & a nice looking gun.
I have a friend who's a gunsmith & I'd be putting him on alert in regards to to finding a barrel to fit that gun if it was in my safe.
I'm sure he could jury rig something while the new year was still in its infancy.
Last edited by pricedo on 12 Dec 2012 00:25, edited 1 time in total.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Armed in Utah

Post by Armed in Utah »

Lostcoast wrote:I just finished a letter that I will be mailing and perhaps also emailing to the CEO, the Director of Sales and the Manager of Customer Service at Taurus. The more they hear from us the more chance there is of them changing their ways, particularly if we say that we will only buy used Marlins in the future if Rossi cannot improve their customer service...

I like that idea....pass the e mail addy along.... :D .........I also recently bought 4 used Marlins...two 1894 357s...a 1895GS & 1895M....to add with my 1894ss 44...I just wanted a 45 Colt & the M92 seemed to fit my needs....just to carry on my SxS Yamaha machine...for sure didn't want to pack my Miroku '92 Trapper 45 on the SxS... ;)
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Armed in Utah wrote:
Lostcoast wrote:I just finished a letter that I will be mailing and perhaps also emailing to the CEO, the Director of Sales and the Manager of Customer Service at Taurus. The more they hear from us the more chance there is of them changing their ways, particularly if we say that we will only buy used Marlins in the future if Rossi cannot improve their customer service...

I like that idea....pass the e mail addy along.... :D .........I also recently bought 4 used Marlins...two 1894 357s...a 1895GS & 1895M....to add with my 1894ss 44...I just wanted a 45 Colt & the M92 seemed to fit my needs....just to carry on my SxS Yamaha machine...for sure didn't want to pack my Miroku '92 Trapper 45 on the SxS... ;)
Those Mirokus cost an arm & a leg but they sure are nice guns.
The same Japanese company that built the Browning B92 (discontinued) & that currently builds the Browning BLR.
Looked at one in 44 Mag at a local shop the other day & said to myself.............now that's how to build a rifle...........then I looked at the $1150 price tag & almost fainted. :o
Life is nothing but a never ending litany of trade-offs..........want QC & a hand finished gun.........dig a lot deeper into the pocket and drop a lot bigger wad of money onto the counter.........nothing mysterious or complicated to understand........just basic arithmetic. :mrgreen:
The Rossis are good "knock around" guns for roughnecking around the bush when you don't want to scratch your "high falutin" fancy furniture guns. :D
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA