Anyone Have Steve's Adjustable Bolt-Mounted Peep?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Lostcoast

Anyone Have Steve's Adjustable Bolt-Mounted Peep?

Post by Lostcoast »

I am researching parts that I will be needing for the Rossi 92 16" .357 that I will be ordering. I know that I want a sight setup that can be used in the dim light of prime hunting time, and I want it to allow for precision shot placement within 75-100 yards for hunting and general shooting. I have seen Steve's bolt-mounted peep that replaces the safety and am wondering if anyone out there has this sight and what you think of it. I am also open to other suggestions for front and rear sight setups. Many thanks.

Kevin
AnthonyB

Re: Anyone Have Steve's Adjustable Bolt-Mounted Peep?

Post by AnthonyB »

Kevin:
I have that safety replacement sight and the green front sight replacement he sells. I like the rear sight, but it was very loose until I epoxied it in place. No movement now, but I am obviously committed to the sight. The front sight I bought is great for low light, but is a little too tall - I have to raise the rear higher than I'd like to get a good zero with mild loads. Still have to check what full-power loads do, and I can always go to a shorter front sight if required. All in all, I'm happy with the safety replacement peep.
Tony
Gaterskiner

Post by Gaterskiner »

I have steves sight also. Fit was very loose. I redriled the notch for the pin to tighten it up. Then Had A new plug made from brass the proper size and D&T it for the sight post. I think Steves sight it A good idea. Poorly executed and overpriced for what you get. Order the Lo pro marlin sight fron Skinner sights for $40. Make your own base. Steves setup sucks!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I also had the SG bolt mounted peep but found that it sat too low as the bolt is lower than the rear sight mounted on the barrel radius. With maximum extension and aimed at a 25 yard target, my 480 Ruger 92 shot into the dirt about 25' from the bench!

I know guys are using them but I'm not sure how. I ended up put a scout scope on that rifle but mounted a Skinner Peep on another M92. It uses the rear sight dovetail.
Michael
Lostcoast

Post by Lostcoast »

Thanks for the feedback on Steve's Gunz sight, gentlemen - I think I will pass on it and look into other options. Will the Marbles Bullseye sight allow me a good degree of precision, and if so what front sight do you recommend?
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

$60 for something that in most cases doesn't fit right.................that's NUTS ! :shock:
Could "engineer" a sight with a threaded eye bolt, a matching nut and a sleeve made of pop can metal for a lot less. :geek:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
BigIron44

Post by BigIron44 »

I've got one on my 2012 manufactured 16" barreled .44. It fits correctly but the shroud on the rear of the peep unscrews just from dry handling, in all fairness that could be fixed with some loctite. The execution leaves a lot to be desired but I like the concept, one of these days when I'm feeling ambitious I intend to whittle my own version out of a small block of steel.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Gaterskiner wrote: Steves setup sucks!
That's one way of putting it. :lol:
It could be shimmed to make it more solid but that shouldn't be necessary in a $60 sight.
Besides by removing the pigtail safety you're making the rifle a less safe tool. :!:
The safety has its uses. :!:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
BigIron44

Post by BigIron44 »

I gave that situation some thought and figured out a way to interrupt the feeding cycle and dump rounds out before they're ever chambered. Not quite as fast and cycling them through the action the normal way but it is safer.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

BigIron44 wrote:I gave that situation some thought and figured out a way to interrupt the feeding cycle and dump rounds out before they're ever chambered. Not quite as fast and cycling them through the action the normal way but it is safer.
My 92s are Amadeo Rossi M92s built after the factory retooling in 2000 (or thereabouts) but before the Taurus buyout .........no pigtails.
If I were to buy a Braztech R92 I'd leave the pigtail on.
It isn't nearly as conspicuous as the tang safety on the Miroku built Winchesters.
I like fast & safe & the pigtail gives you both & still remains close to the original JMB design (no tang safety or rebounding hammer).
Why remove it & void your warranty & make yourself more prosecutable in the case of a shooting accident ? :?: :?: :?: :?:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA