Are .357 and .44 Rossi's usually different

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
warnerwh

Are .357 and .44 Rossi's usually different

Post by warnerwh »

A couple of months ago I bought a .357 with 16" barrel. The other day I traded for a 20" .44 magnum that I was told was purchased before deer season so both guns are about the same age. What I find odd is that the .357 has buckhorn rear sight and a gold bead front. The .44 has a U notch rear and plain post front sight. Also the .44 has no hammer lock like the .357 does. Anyone know what is going on here? TIA
outfishing13

Re: Are .357 and .44 Rossi's usually different

Post by outfishing13 »

Warner,

Rossi makes quite a few models of the 92. Post some photos. What is the Model No. for each rifle? Could be that the 44 Mag is NOS.
warnerwh

Post by warnerwh »

These are just the standard round barrel models. I'd be surprised if the .44 is NOS. The guy I got it from said he bought it at Keith's which sells numerous guns, probably more than anyone in Portland. They sell tons of guns because they have a very small mark up. I also purchased my .357 from the same store. Being as the .44 says Braztech on it wouldn't that mean it couldn't be more than 2 years old max?
BigIron44

Post by BigIron44 »

I wish my .44 didn't have a hammerlock! Where's the import mark on yours? Mine is on the side of the barrel. Is yours drilled and tapped for the scope mount under the rear sight?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

warnerwh wrote:These are just the standard round barrel models. I'd be surprised if the .44 is NOS. The guy I got it from said he bought it at Keith's which sells numerous guns, probably more than anyone in Portland. They sell tons of guns because they have a very small mark up. I also purchased my .357 from the same store. Being as the .44 says Braztech on it wouldn't that mean it couldn't be more than 2 years old max?
If the rifle has the "Braztech" trade name, you can run the serial number1 on the RossiUSA web sit for the exact model number and year of manufacture. Can't do that with the LSI or earlier Interarms rifles. I don't believe it is a Braztech or earlier Taurus rifle if it doesn't have the Taurus Lock at the hammer.

1It takes about two months from manufacture for the serial numbers to available on line.
Michael
warnerwh

Post by warnerwh »

According to the website this gun was manufactured in 2010. Model is: R92-55001 I'd still like to know why different sights. Also it does not have a lock on the hammer. Maybe the earliest Braztech ones didn't. I don't know.
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

That deal with running the serial number on the Rossi website also doesn't work with the Navy Arms 1892s. (Just had to try it)
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Warhawk »

Who is the importer?

The two Rossi 92's that I have now, one is an LSI the other is a Braztech. They both have square "patridge style" sights. I had another one imported by EMF that had a semi buckhorn rear and a bead front sight.
Deleted User 327

Post by Deleted User 327 »

Ranch Dog wrote:
warnerwh wrote:These are just the standard round barrel models. I'd be surprised if the .44 is NOS. The guy I got it from said he bought it at Keith's which sells numerous guns, probably more than anyone in Portland. They sell tons of guns because they have a very small mark up. I also purchased my .357 from the same store. Being as the .44 says Braztech on it wouldn't that mean it couldn't be more than 2 years old max?
If the rifle has the "Braztech" trade name, you can run the serial number1 on the RossiUSA web sit for the exact model number and year of manufacture. Can't do that with the LSI or earlier Interarms rifles. I don't believe it is a Braztech or earlier Taurus rifle if it doesn't have the Taurus Lock at the hammer.

1It takes about two months from manufacture for the serial numbers to available on line.
The lookup information isn't always correct. I have two Braztech Rossis I bought in 2009. My 24", 357mag rifle I bought in May of 2009 comes back as a 12", 357mag Ranch Hand manufactured in 2011, and my 20", 357mag carbine I bought in July, 2009 doesn't come up at all.
warnerwh

Post by warnerwh »

The .357 I have didn't come up on their website either. It says to call if your gun doesn't come up. The main thing that matters is that both guns are fine but I haven't fired the .44 yet. The .357 is 1.25" at 50 yards accurate and the action and trigger pull are now excellent. I actually like the semi buckhorn and gold bead front sight. I wish the .44 would have come with the same sights. If someone has the semi buckhorn and gold bead front sight they wouldn't mind parting with PM me please. Thanks