New Member with Question on Dulling SS Finish

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Lostcoast

New Member with Question on Dulling SS Finish

Post by Lostcoast »

Howdy everyone - great forum you have here!

I am planning to purchase a Rossi R92 in stainless steel with the 16" barrel. I've been researching the spring kits and disassembly instructions and the like that I am anticipating I will need to get the rifle to the best it can be, and have found a lot of excellent info on this site - thanks!

I know I want the increased corrosion-resistance of stainless steel, since this will be a truck/woods/ all weather rifle. However I don't favor the shiny stainless finish, especially for hunting, and am wanting to dull the finish to take off the shine. Will bead blasting be necessary for this,or will something like Scotchbrite suffice? I've heard of a process of bead blasting and then cold bluing stainless steel, resulting in a nice cloud-grey color - has anyone here done such a thing?

When I get my rifle and go through the whole process - whatever that will end up being - I will be sure to share the process and the results with you all.

Cheers,
Kevin
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Member with Question on Dulling SS Finish

Post by Ranch Dog »

Greetings Kevin and welcome to the forum! I will have to let someone else help you with your question as I'm a blued steel guy.
Michael
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

Hey Kevin,

You've got a couple of options. You can send it out and have it Duracoated, or if you can completely disassemble gun you can bead blast it and coat it yourself with Brownells Aluma-Hyde II. VERY good stuff but you do have to let it cure for about a week.

A guy that's helped me a lot with AR15-Mini14 stuff and who does Duracoat is Gundoc:

http://www.greatwestgunsmithing.com/

Drop him a line and see if Rossi 92's are something he can work with in stainless. And welcome to the forum.

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt
Trailboss
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Trailboss »

Another option is to purchase a rotary brush used for turing the shine into a mat finish. I've used a drill mounted Scotch-Brite wheel Part Number 03771

It leaves a nice burnished look.
Aim small, miss small.
Lostcoast

Post by Lostcoast »

Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions, gentlemen. I really appreciate it.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

You may be able to use oo steel wool I would try it in an area first to see if results are GTG. It woul take time this way but cheap to do. Good winter project.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I tried to polish one up with crocus cloth once. Never did get very shiny.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Lostcoast

Post by Lostcoast »

After talking with my local ffl today and him telling me about how corrosion-prone a lot of the new ss finishes are (and remembering the problems I have had with my Tikka T3 SS) I think I will be getting a blued version of the Rossi 92. I always take good care of my guns so it shouldn't be a problem to have a blued carbine as my all-weather gun..

Thanks again for the suggestions, everyone!

Kevin
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Lostcoast wrote:After talking with my local ffl today and him telling me about how corrosion-prone a lot of the new ss finishes are (and remembering the problems I have had with my Tikka T3 SS) I think I will be getting a blued version of the Rossi 92. I always take good care of my guns so it shouldn't be a problem to have a blued carbine as my all-weather gun..

Thanks again for the suggestions, everyone!

Kevin
I have 3 "blue" Amadeo Rossi 92s.
They don't have a single spot of rust on them inside or out.
When they get cold/wet they get dried off & dried out & oiled ASAP.
Cold weather & the resulting condensation when the guns are brought indoors are the deadly enemies of guns.
In colder weather if I'm going in & out of doors alot during the day I'll leave the rifle in the outside temperature sally port-foyer between the outer & inner doors to the house rather than drag a cold gun into a warm house numerous times or if in the bush I'll leave it in a sheltered, concealed place that is at outside temperature outside the cabin when I go in to the warm cabin for lunch etc.
The only time during cold days when the rifle comes into the house is when I retire for the evening at which time the rifle is thoroughly wiped off & dried out & when it returns to room temperature it is lightly sprayed with Remoil & stood against the wall near my bed with the muzzle pointing down & resting on the rug with the action open.
The condensation on the cold metal will rust the rifle inside & out if it is not wiped off & the rifle thoroughly dried out & then a light coat of oil applied.
Never store a rifle long term in a vinyl or cloth case or store it wet or near washers, dryers, sumps, sinks, tubs or other sources of water vapor.
I keep my "blue" guns high, dry & well oiled and there isn't a rust spot on any of them.

I am steering clear of the Rossi SS guns after learning of the cheap nickle plating that peels off in some high impact/wear areas.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great advice pricedo.

The worst finishes I've seen on rifles that cycle through my place in the hands of hunters has been SS, all weather, arms. I guess the fellows don't think they need to take care of them. Metal is metal and any metal with corrode, stain, or discolor, even stainless.
Michael