New Member with Question on Dulling SS Finish

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: New Member with Question on Dulling SS Finish

Post by pricedo »

One thing I forgot that is very important is that after bringing a gun in from the cold I give the rifle bore a light swab with a dry patch to pick up the condensed moisture & then another swab with a slightly oily patch.
A pull through patch on a string or a rod with a proper guide will do the job.
You CAN'T leave moisture/condensation in the bore......it'll rust out.
I love those 3 Rossi 92s (and the 30-30 Rio Grande) as my perspiration & time went into rehabilitating them to the excellent shooters that they are today.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

I agree it's not hard to keep a blued finish rust free. As noted condensation is a big issue, but I noted growing up and living in the frozen north that you can avoid the issue by letting the rifle warm up inside a case as the limited circulation and insulation of the case greatly reduces or eliminates any condensation. Once it's warmed, then wipe with down with a lightly oiled cloth.

As for the bore, I am not a big fan of bore snakes in place of a real cleaning, but for oiling a bore and/or removing condensation, they are great.
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

CLP does a good job of protecting blued surfaces. I use it the same way on my SS guns. Cerracoat over stainless works fine. If I was in extreme conditions I would get that done.