Yogi gun

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Yogi gun

Post by Arktikos »

Ranch Dog wrote:Okay, I sure enough understand the 1894. The work might effect the sale in the lower 48 but I doubt it there in AK. Since the R92 454 purchase, I've been thinking of adding this fellow to my self defense brace of pistols.
One of the reasons I wanted to have the 1894 in 45 Colt was after reading some of the articles on loading up these with bigger 335gr bullets and 30kpsi to get a punch that could stand in for bear defense but for me it hasn't really worked out. The problem has been the COL required for the bigger bullets are longer than my gun will chamber from the mag tube. I can seat them deeper but most of the spotty load data that there is isn't there and there gets to be precious little space left for powder. Still I like the gun and plan to keep it, but the 454 Casull in stainless is going to be the answer for me.

Ranch Dog wrote:The 454 Casull can be close but it does draw up short against the 45-70 Govt in the Marlin. As a meat getting, a hunting rifle, I would favor the 45-70 because it is quite capable of reaching out for big game. The short cartridge can only do so much and distance is not it's thing.

As I have found out with the 357 Mag, 41 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, and 480 Ruger; heavier is not always better and I really doubt that a 400-grain bullet is going to be effective in the 454 Casull. I think something down around 300-grains is going to allow a nice balance of case capacity with the return in velocity to maximize the punch.
That chart says it all.. The heavier the bullet the shorter its range. You look at it from the viewpoint of a full time hunter and what you are saying makes perfect sense for that. I haven't hunted since I have moved down to this area of AK but I do plan to get a moose tag someday when I get a riverboat to get back up into the river valleys and the 45/70 will be handy for that. Most of what I am wanting now is the lightest package that can deliver a death blow to a PO'ed brown bear and that would be the only reason I would choose such a heavy bullet for the 454..
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

4.8 pound Rossi SS 454 Trapper or 7.5 pound Marlin Guide Gun............which would you like to lug 10 miles up & down hills in all kinds of weather :?:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:4.8 pound Rossi SS 454 Trapper or 7.5 pound Marlin Guide Gun............which would you like to lug 10 miles up & down hills in all kinds of weather :?:
That is a big difference! And just think an S&W 500 weighs over 4.5lbs, just a few ounces less than the Rossi... :roll:
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

If you are going for the lightest smallest easiest to carry with the biggest punch than you need a 458 Socom pistol. :mrgreen:
You can shoot anywhere from 100gr Aluminum bullets, 305gr solid brass bullets or up to 600gr whatever you want bullets. :twisted:

10" Pistol upper on an AR15 lower. Easy to break down, reliable etc.

http://458socomforums.com/index.php?topic=217.0

Here is mine but it's a rifle with 16" barrel.
http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=612
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Quinc wrote:If you are going for the lightest smallest easiest to carry with the biggest punch than you need a 458 Socom pistol. :mrgreen:
You can shoot anywhere from 100gr Aluminum bullets, 305gr solid brass bullets or up to 600gr whatever you want bullets. :twisted:

10" Pistol upper on an AR15 lower. Easy to break down, reliable etc.

http://458socomforums.com/index.php?topic=217.0

Here is mine but it's a rifle with 16" barrel.
http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=612
Well thats pretty impressive! :mrgreen:
44WCF

Post by 44WCF »

when your talking about 16-20" rifle barrels, apples to apples ballistics, the 458 socom doesn't realy do anything the 454 casull can't. aside from that, the protuberances of the AR action (pistol grip, magazine well, tall sights or optics) realy don't bode well for carrying in the thick cover of river banks and general bear country. JMO
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

44WCF wrote:when your talking about 16-20" rifle barrels, apples to apples ballistics, the 458 socom doesn't realy do anything the 454 casull can't. aside from that, the protuberances of the AR action (pistol grip, magazine well, tall sights or optics) realy don't bode well for carrying in the thick cover of river banks and general bear country. JMO
+1

Like dragging an aluminum step ladder with a couple of paint cans hanging from it thru the bush. :shock:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

Beautiful thing about an AR is you can customize it anyway you want. Can even get one with a piston upper and lose the buffer tube in the back. Get smaller or larger magazines, different length barrels, any sights you want etc.

"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Quinc wrote:Beautiful thing about an AR is you can customize it anyway you want. Can even get one with a piston upper and lose the buffer tube in the back. Get smaller or larger magazines, different length barrels, any sights you want etc.

Now that is sexy I have always wanted to do a piston ar mainly so I could shot alot of the cheap russian ammo without issues of having to clean it as much.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

My biggest problem with an AR gun for a bear defense gun is that the action is not manually operated.
I prefer a levergun or a bolt action for defense against dangerous predators.

Note: I think Obama has his X-hairs on the AR/Bushmaster type firearms in the wake of the Newtown tragedy.
Still think this is somebody else's fight?
Stay tuned ..........before the spring 2013 leaves pop open on the trees it'll be your fight........if you want to keep that AR that is.
The old let's go to the range & have some fun & leave the unpleasant 2A fight to others ain't gonna work any more...........Obama has the mandate from Americans he has been looking for to hammer us.
The timing of the latest & arguably the most horrific mass shooting tragedy & Obamas 2nd (totally unaccountable to THE PEOPLE) couldn't be worse..........join the fight to keep em or lose em..........it's come down to THAT.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA