Yogi gun

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Yogi gun

Post by Arktikos »

Have really been thinking about the 92 in 454 Casull for a most versatile do anything gun from pop cans and small game with Trail boss, Unique, 2400 and 45 Colt cases with bullets from 200 to 300gr, on up to 400gr in 454 Casull brass for a very effective gun for dangerous predator animals such as griz or brown bear as well as a shorter range for deer, moose, or whatever. I think if tomorrow I was told by my wife, gov, fill in the blank_____ that I could only have one gun this really could fill my bill.. I MUST have one! Hear that Rossi? If I am willing to risk the wrath of my wife for one, surely there are others who want one as well. Could you guys down there in Brazil please do another run? Stainless Trappers if you please! :mrgreen:
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Yogi gun

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos wrote:Have really been thinking about the 92 in 454 Casull for a most versatile do anything gun from pop cans and small game with Trail boss, Unique, 2400 and 45 Colt cases with bullets from 200 to 300gr, on up to 400gr in 454 Casull brass for a very effective gun for dangerous predator animals such as griz or brown bear as well as a shorter range for deer, moose, or whatever. I think if tomorrow I was told by my wife, gov, fill in the blank_____ that I could only have one gun this really could fill my bill.. I MUST have one! Hear that Rossi? If I am willing to risk the wrath of my wife for one, surely there are others who want one as well. Could you guys down there in Brazil please do another run? Stainless Trappers if you please! :mrgreen:
You had better keep an eye open on the internet because the Rossi 92/454s are in stock in stores only minutes and hours before they're gone.
The SS Rossi 92/454 with a 16" barrel is the best gun in the world for people who trek up and down hills & through swamps & sloughs all day in all kinds of weather in the remote wilderness for a living.
Could be 30 below with horizontal blowing snow one winter day and 85 degrees above in the rain on another day during the short summer.
A gun that weighs 4.8 pounds with the power of a 45-70 backed up by a revolver that takes the same high power/weight ratio ammo.........what's not to like. :mrgreen:
A 100 rounds of 454 Casull ammo takes up a lot less space in the pack sack and weighs a lot less on the back & shoulders than 100 rounds of 45-70. :D
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:
You had better keep an eye open on the internet because the Rossi 92/454s are in stock in stores only minutes and hours before they're gone.
The SS Rossi 92/454 with a 16" barrel is the best gun in the world for people who trek up and down hills & through swamps & sloughs all day in all kinds of weather in the remote wilderness for a living.
Could be 30 below with horizontal blowing snow one winter day and 85 degrees above in the rain on another day during the short summer.
A gun that weighs 4.8 pounds with the power of a 45-70 backed up by a revolver that takes the same high power/weight ratio ammo.........what's not to like. :mrgreen:
A 100 rounds of 454 Casull ammo takes up a lot less space in the pack sack and weighs a lot less on the back & shoulders than 100 rounds of 45-70. :D
I am terrible at watching gun broker for guns. It is just going to happen when it does, and patience is a virtue! We do have someone here who I think operates out of his home that has been getting in a few 92 Rossi's so maybe he will get some in..

I do like the reduced weight, especially when I am just out and doing something that doesn't directly involve a gun. Picking berries, fishing etc I don't really like packing a 45/70 for that but a Trapper under 5 lbs is a bit different..
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Arktikos wrote:I am terrible at watching gun broker for guns.
It is very easy to set up email notifications in GunBroker. As soon as a gun meeting your description is listed, you are sent an email. That is how I found my R92 chambered in 480 Ruger.

Just log into GB, run a search for "Rossi 92 Casull". When the results are posted, whether any are available or not, select "Save Search". GB will let you name the search and select the email notice.

Posted via Tapatalk while hunting!
Michael
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Ranch Dog wrote:
It is very easy to set up email notifications in GunBroker. As soon as a gun meeting your description is listed, you are sent an email. That is how I found my R92 chambered in 480 Ruger.

Just log into GB, run a search for "Rossi 92 Casull". When the results are posted, whether any are available or not, select "Save Search". GB will let you name the search and select the email notice.

That is a great idea. It would give me a clue on how many of these are out there and going prices. Am going to set it up.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

How about a Yogi gun you can pack in a briefcase?
If you convert a 16" bbl 92/454 to a DIY Takedown version that would be possible.
If you don't feel sufficiently confident but really, really want a Takedown maybe you know a gunsmith/machinist who will take on the project.

OK you "I CAN" tinkerers (who just happen to have an engine lathe kicking around the workshop :D ) get ready to take it to the next level.
I happenstanced upon this informative blog in my surfing and thought this would be an interesting project for the most ambitious and talented among us.

Any takers?

Another idea to play with. :ugeek:

http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/rossi- ... mment-1297
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:How about a Yogi gun you can pack in a briefcase?
If you convert a 16" bbl 92/454 to a DIY Takedown version that would be possible.
If you don't feel sufficiently confident but really, really want a Takedown maybe you know a gunsmith/machinist who will take on the project.

OK you "I CAN" tinkerers (who just happen to have an engine lathe kicking around the workshop :D ) get ready to take it to the next level.
I happenstanced upon this informative blog in my surfing and thought this would be an interesting project for the most ambitious and talented among us.

Any takers?

I think if I flew a 2 seater like a Super Cub out in the wilderness a 92 454 Casull take down would be ideal to fit under the seat along with mosquito repellant and other must have survival things. I don't however so I am good without it being a take down. It would have lots of "cool factor" however!

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos wrote:
pricedo wrote:How about a Yogi gun you can pack in a briefcase?

Any takers?

I think if I flew a 2 seater like a Super Cub out in the wilderness a 92 454 Casull take down would be ideal to fit under the seat along with mosquito repellant and other must have survival things. I don't however so I am good without it being a take down. It would have lots of "cool factor" however!

I have a compact gun case like the tacti-cool & swat guys use to to carry their ultra-compact AR firearms.
I wanted a pack sack/bush plane gun that I could carry in that case but would knock down a charging polar, browny or grizz AND double as a survival/sustenance gun capable of "popping" a caribou, elk or moose at 200 yards.
I believe I found my desired "ballistic solution" ( :lol: my new Obama politically correct term for GUN :lol: ) with my BLR T/D in 450 Marlin with a dis-mountable 2-7x33mm Leupold "Rifleman" scope on Burris QD rings.
The gun disassembles into 3 parts .....1) the stock & receiver ....2) the forearm & barrel........3) the scope & rings in seconds and reassembles & holds its "0" faithfully and consistently without re-sighting.
Haven't test fired it after 2 or 3 take downs and re-assemblies but if its anything like my BLR in 308 Winchester with an identical scope and Warne QD rings the POI won't vary more that 1/2 MOA...........that's fine for the intended purpose and speaks to the superb machining quality of Browning & Warne products.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

If someone prefers a Winchester 94 style T/D rifle in a heavy hitting caliber there is a new 20" barreled 94 in 450 Marlin on the market that has takedown capability and only weighs 6 3/4 pounds.
There are 2 things that turned me off this gun.........the absolutely ridiculous price ($1400) and the fact that it is ported.
The new Winchester 94 T/D in 450 is made (like the BLR) by Miroku of Japan & would certainly quality as a YOGI GUN.

The idea of a Rossi T/D in 454 Casull is a good one but it'll take alotta skill to make that happen.

I'm lazy and decided to throw money at the problem rather than sweat over a lathe by buying a BLR T/D.........it worked ! :D ..........once I deal with the BLRs outstanding trigger issues I'll have my ultra-portable YOGI GUN.

The money solution always works........that's probably why I like the stuff ($$money$$) so much. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
freanceman

Post by freanceman »

Ranch Dog wrote:

I'll try that one, I am also looking for a new gun. thanks for the tips.