Yogi gun

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Yogi gun

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Sounds like a nice rifle. Suspect, all said, there is a few dollars in it. ;-)

Posted via Tapatalk while hunting!
The 16" SS 92/454 is a gun you'd (I'd) most likely have with you (me) on a fishing, hiking trip or general tip-toeing through the alders nature walk and it will do the job with the right bullet & bullet placement of dropping a Brownie or Grizzly.

Don't get me wrong...........I'm not disavowing the 92/454 but if I was guiding someone or was traveling in an area where the frequency of aggressive bear encounters was high "Big Bupkus" would be slung on my shoulder.

And I repeat "Big Bupkus" isn't a 11 pound Rigby ......it is in fact quite light and compact for it's power lever......7.5 pounds and a 21" bbl..........it's lighter than a Guide Gun!
Thank goodness is has one of the best homemade recoil pads I have ever seen on a gun.

The fellow who built it was a machinist/millwright/gunsmith who kept his lumber mill operation running by machining parts when replacement parts weren't available for his ancient equipment.

It was predicated on a Remington 700 barreled action. The original stock that split on recoil was replaced by a Ramline stock with the barrel channel routed out to fit. The barrel was cut and re-crowned at 21". The stock trigger was replaced by a Timney group set at 2 pounds and a set of Williams aperture sights were installed and a superb homemade recoil pad.

I'd estimate the cost at $2500. Hubert was a good friend and only charged me $200 for his time.
An hour of this super-skilled man's time was worth 10X that of most others who called themselves gunsmiths.

The rifle was sighted in using a Caldwell Lead-Sled in combination with a sissy pad under my sweater and I still felt it when I squeezed that trigger.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Wills Point Pete

Post by Wills Point Pete »

Heck, the stadard Rossi 92s in .45 Colt will take about the same loads the .454s will. One does not want to fire these on a regular basis for fear of the magaizne tupe comin' off but I have loaded my .45 with 300 gr. bullets to the same velocity as that old Remington 300 gr. .45-70 load. Pretty much any of the loads with H110 or LilGun reaching 30,000 PSI will do the trick. Yes, the .454 goes higher pressure than that but you really don't gain much. And if you want to run up to .454 pressure with the .45 case you can, just use a tad less of the same powder.

The only reason the .454 exists is the Colt and S&W revolvers from back in the BP and early smokeless days. Load up fifty rounds of "Ruger and TC only" loads in .45 Colt. Then fire them off in one session and come back and tell us you need more power.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Wills Point Pete wrote:Heck, the stadard Rossi 92s in .45 Colt will take about the same loads the .454s will. One does not want to fire these on a regular basis for fear of the magaizne tupe comin' off but I have loaded my .45 with 300 gr. bullets to the same velocity as that old Remington 300 gr. .45-70 load. Pretty much any of the loads with H110 or LilGun reaching 30,000 PSI will do the trick. Yes, the .454 goes higher pressure than that but you really don't gain much. And if you want to run up to .454 pressure with the .45 case you can, just use a tad less of the same powder.

The only reason the .454 exists is the Colt and S&W revolvers from back in the BP and early smokeless days. Load up fifty rounds of "Ruger and TC only" loads in .45 Colt. Then fire them off in one session and come back and tell us you need more power.
I always suspected the story of Rossis special heat treatment for the 92/454 receivers was BS .........I couldn't envisage Rossi adding significantly to line productions costs by heat treating anything.
I remain skeptical of the Rossi special heat treatment process for the 92/454 receivers.
Not sayin it isn't true ............I'm about 10% convinced.

That 92/454 16" bbl Trapper in stainless would make a great plane/atv/snow mobile/pick-up survival/protection gun against large toothy critters.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

I've been preparing my wife for the day when I find a 454 trapper to buy.. It's looking like it would be most agreeable to her if I sold one of my guns, either before or after. I only have 4 guns so my lineup isn't exactly extensive. I have a 22 Henry, a 1895 GS, an 1894 in 45 Colt and a 5.5" Ruger Blackhawk, also in 45 Colt of which I can't hit well with due either to the gun, or more likely my eyesight. Which one should I sell in order to make room for my M92 stainless trapper? I'm thinking the Ruger because it really isn't a lot of gun for ole Yogi which are plentiful here and I think I would carry the trapper in its place.. And I just like my Marlins too much to get rid of and everyone needs to have a 22, just cuz..
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm thinking I would turn the 1894 rather than the revolver. The main reason is that I like a handgun for personal self defense particularly at and inside the home. If you are considering the 454 Casull, that cartridge and rifle has pretty much replaced the 1894 in that it can shoot the ammo. I don't do a lot of 22RF shooting and only have two but they do as much as the big guns taking care of the small stuff. I wouldn't want to be without one either. Living in your neck of the woods I would think the 45-70 Govt, 454 Casull, and a 22RF plus a 45 Colt revolver for personal defense would make a lot of sense.
Michael
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Ranch Dog wrote:I'm thinking I would turn the 1894 rather than the revolver. The main reason is that I like a handgun for personal self defense particularly at and inside the home. If you are considering the 454 Casull, that cartridge and rifle has pretty much replaced the 1894 in that it can shoot the ammo. I don't do a lot of 22RF shooting and only have two but they do as much as the big guns taking care of the small stuff. I wouldn't want to be without one either. Living in your neck of the woods I would think the 45-70 Govt, 454 Casull, and a 22RF plus a 45 Colt revolver for personal defense would make a lot of sense.
That is the most logical choice and believe me I have considered it a lot too. Right now the Ruger gets carried the most when out hiking or the boat and it also resides in the bedroom too. The thing with the 1894 is I really like that gun! I like looking at it and it gets shot a lot more than the others put together except maybe the 22. I also have put a little bit of "me" into it because when I bought it it was a new JM 44 magnum, then I found a 45 Colt Microgroove factory new barrel on Numrich and had it installed to make it the gun I really wanted when I bought the 44. Another consideration would be to sell my 1895 and carry the M92 Casull loaded up with 400gr cast in its place. I do like the 1895, and it is my most accurate gun of them all. The truth is I probably wouldn't sell it either. Back to my original thought of selling the Ruger I could later maybe pick up a BFR in 454 Casull as a replacement. Then I wouldn't feel so under gunned when I am just carrying a wheelgun and traveling light in brown bear territory. I mean really, how long can I be expected to keep this up, having only FOUR GUNS! Especially hanging out with this group! +guns . :mrgreen:
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:I'm thinking I would turn the 1894 rather than the revolver. The main reason is that I like a handgun for personal self defense particularly at and inside the home. If you are considering the 454 Casull, that cartridge and rifle has pretty much replaced the 1894 in that it can shoot the ammo. I don't do a lot of 22RF shooting and only have two but they do as much as the big guns taking care of the small stuff. I wouldn't want to be without one either. Living in your neck of the woods I would think the 45-70 Govt, 454 Casull, and a 22RF plus a 45 Colt revolver for personal defense would make a lot of sense.
That is the most logical choice and believe me I have considered it a lot too. Right now the Ruger gets carried the most when out hiking or the boat and it also resides in the bedroom too. The thing with the 1894 is I really like that gun! I like looking at it and it gets shot a lot more than the others put together except maybe the 22. I also have put a little bit of "me" into it because when I bought it it was a new JM 44 magnum, then I found a 45 Colt Microgroove factory new barrel on Numrich and had it installed to make it the gun I really wanted when I bought the 44. Another consideration would be to sell my 1895 and carry the M92 Casull loaded up with 400gr cast in its place. I do like the 1895, and it is my most accurate gun of them all. The truth is I probably wouldn't sell it either. Back to my original thought of selling the Ruger I could later maybe pick up a BFR in 454 Casull as a replacement. Then I wouldn't feel so under gunned when I am just carrying a wheelgun and traveling light in brown bear territory. I mean really, how long can I be expected to keep this up, having only FOUR GUNS! Especially hanging out with this group! +guns . :mrgreen:
I have a Ruger Super Redhawk DA in 454 Casull with a 7 1/2" barrel that isn't that expensive a gun compared to say the Freedom Arms SA in 454 Casull.
It makes a great old west style 1 rifle + 1 revolver in 1 caliber combo with my Rossi 92/454.
It's always advisable to have a securely holstered revolver with a strap or hammer loop to keep it from falling out in bear country..........you get busy & careless & next thing you know Yogi pops out of nowhere and the rifle is leaning against a tree 50 yards away........if you think you can beat Yogi in the 50 yard dash.......DREAM ON !
If you have a back-up revolver securely holstered on your belt........IT IS ALWAYS WITH YOU even if you upset in a canoe along with a cylinder full of ammo & the ammo in your belt loops while the rifle & rucksack are carried away by the current.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Okay, I sure enough understand the 1894. The work might effect the sale in the lower 48 but I doubt it there in AK. Since the R92 454 purchase, I've been thinking of adding this fellow to my self defense brace of pistols.
454029M.JPG
The 454 Casull can be close but it does draw up short against the 45-70 Govt in the Marlin. As a meat getting, a hunting rifle, I would favor the 45-70 because it is quite capable of reaching out for big game. The short cartridge can only do so much and distance is not it's thing.

As I have found out with the 357 Mag, 41 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, and 480 Ruger; heavier is not always better and I really doubt that a 400-grain bullet is going to be effective in the 454 Casull. I think something down around 300-grains is going to allow a nice balance of case capacity with the return in velocity to maximize the punch.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

This thread confirms why I have not added a visit to bear country to my bucket list.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote: I have a Ruger Super Redhawk DA in 454 Casull with a 7 1/2" barrel that isn't that expensive a gun compared to say the Freedom Arms SA in 454 Casull.
It makes a great old west style 1 rifle + 1 revolver in 1 caliber combo with my Rossi 92/454.
It's always advisable to have a securely holstered revolver with a strap or hammer loop to keep it from falling out in bear country..........you get busy & careless & next thing you know Yogi pops out of nowhere and the rifle is leaning against a tree 50 yards away........if you think you can beat Yogi in the 50 yard dash.......DREAM ON !
If you have a back-up revolver securely holstered on your belt........IT IS ALWAYS WITH YOU even if you upset in a canoe along with a cylinder full of ammo & the ammo in your belt loops while the rifle & rucksack are carried away by the current.
I agree, and when I do pack the 45/70 it is almost always with the revolver on me as well. Heck I even carry bear spray on my belt! :lol: Freedom Arms are priced out of my reach, but the BFR I believe is considerably less. I would rather have a single action due to its lighter weight and grip preference, and because I never shoot a DA without cocking the hammer so if it were to be crunch time I would probably not remember that option anyhow.. But those Redhawks sure are purdy!