reloads work, factory doesn't

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: reloads work, factory doesn't

Post by Rooster59 »

Why wouldn't you use the turret press for 45-70? I weigh each charge for mine with the 45-70, 35 Rem, and 30-30.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I think in some ways a it may be better to stick with what you learned on. I still think that a single stage is always a nice addition to a setup though. I like that it takes up more of my time I enjoy it. The cold months is when I stockpile my ammo for the warmer days.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Rooster59 wrote:Why wouldn't you use the turret press for 45-70? I weigh each charge for mine with the 45-70, 35 Rem, and 30-30.
Same here as Jeff. I drop each max charge from a Perfect Powder Measure into the pan of the Safety Scale for a check. Then into the funnel mounted on top of the Powder through Expander die into the case. You can make a lot of ammo very quick. I have a lot of different presses as noted in my previous post but if I could only have one it would be the turret press.
Michael
Pepe Ray
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Pepe Ray »

Do you all recall the semantics problem we had not so long ago about the Lee FCD? Probably we still have it.
The RIFLE or
Bottle neck Factory crimp die IS NOT THE SAME AS
The pistol or Carbide Factory Crimp Die.
OK? Recall that issue?
WELL--We have another issue with Turret (turrent? :lol: ) presses.
Here we're dealing ONLY with Lee equipment.
The Lee Load Master is an AUTO ADVANCE turret press. It can be used as a single loader ONLY with some difficulty.
The original Lee turret press was introduced as a 3hole turret for use as a single stage press. Its most wonderfull feature
was that by buying several turrets you could set your dies ONCE and never have to remove them again. Simply remove the turret
and store it till next time.
Later on the press was adapted with parts to make an auto advance press for those who needed mass production. You could
still store your turrets (and shell plates or carriers) so that readjusting dies would be unnecessary.
Then ,still later, Lee introduced a modification using a 4 station turret. For both auto advance and single stage.

So you see the confusion when discussing "turret (turrent :roll: ) presses."

Pepe Ray
Salvation is ONLY through JESUS.
Freedom is ONLY through ETERNAL VIGILANCE and SACRIFICE.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

I think the presses like the Lee Loadmaster are called "progressive" presses. Probably because that's all they do essentially is poduce ammo in progressive steps.

The Lee Classic Cast 4-hole turret press like mine has an auto advance feature that can be used or disabled. The auto advance parts for mine are still in the original plastic bag in my reloading cabinet.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Rooster59 wrote:I think the presses like the Lee Loadmaster are called "progressive" presses. Probably because that's all they do essentially is poduce ammo in progressive steps.
That is correct Jeff, the turret on the LM does not move, the shell holder does and each stroke of the ram delivers a loaded round where on a turret each stoke of the ram sequences turret to the next die and it takes three or four strokes of the ram to complete a cartridge.

The Load Masters are a good press and I have three. They are difficult to set up and then jump between different cartridges as the timing on case and bullet feed is slight upset. I've elected to set mine up once and leave them for the pistol cartridges that I typically shoot by the thousands; 380 Auto, 9mm Luger, and 45 ACP (15K every year). The trick to the Load Master is to never let any of the hoppers run out.
Michael
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Progressives are just not for me. Maybe not having one restricts my pistol shooting a bit but that just causes me to spend more time with the lever guns.

A few trap shooting friends have some pretty slick progressive setups for 12ga target shells. It looks too much like factory production to be fun. :D
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Rooster59 wrote:It looks too much like factory production to be fun. :D
You are right about that. I really enjoy reloading but a progressive press is just providing manpower to run the press and and then maintaining the hoppers. I've taught my kids and grandkids to reload and actually start them on the progressives as all they need to do is operating the lever. The next step, if they are interest, is loading with the Lee caveman tools as that really teaches the basics.
Michael
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

I started with the "caveman tools" and a hard plastic head mallet reloading 30-30 and 45-70. I still have them. They were better than I was back then. The only issues I experienced were due to my lack of experience, not the tools' shortcomings.

I've gotten a lot better using the scoops to get consistent charges so I may use them a bit to kill time thru the next snow storm.

Jeff
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Rooster59 wrote:I started with the "caveman tools" and a hard plastic head mallet reloading 30-30 and 45-70. I still have them. They were better than I was back then. The only issues I experienced were due to my lack of experience, not the tools' shortcomings.

I've gotten a lot better using the scoops to get consistent charges so I may use them a bit to kill time thru the next snow storm.
I too still have a bunch of the Jeff and enjoy working with them. Young people love them.
Michael