reloads work, factory doesn't

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

reloads work, factory doesn't

Post by golfish »

Sorry for all the questions..

Would it be safe for me to say that they reason the reloads I bought at the local range cycled in my new .357 Rossi 92 is because they are shorter? Looks like about 20 thousands ...

I know nothing about reloading but I do know the brass gets trimmed and I'm guessing this makes the whole round shorter, or am I wrong?

See, I've been looking at this wrong or think I have been. I thought a smaller grain bullet meant a shorter bullet in whole..I measured 125 grain and 158 grain, they both measure the same..
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: reloads work, factory doesn't

Post by akuser47 »

This is not correct when reloading the reloader has the ability to seat the bullet at a desired depth Regardless of the weight of the bullet. So for various reasons to specific guns some loads will be adjusted to better suit the gun and accuracy sometimes maybe function. Less weight means less mass so in theory you are correct to think the bullet is smaller that is correct, but it can still be loaded at different O.A.L. (over all length). The common length or O.A.L. for .357mag is 1.59inches, .38 special 1.55inches oal.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Thanks AK, I'll figure this stuff out sooner or later..

I got a 100 rounds of .38sp reloads and a 500 pack of 22 rimfire..I think my son and I will go out to the desert and shoot some stuff up on Saturday.

Got any thoughts on a starter reload kit?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I started with the LEE single stage breechlock kit though I don't like the scale that comes with it so I use an RCBS 1010 beam scale very accurate. At some point I will get LEE 4hole turret press to pump out high volume. Though I do most my loading in the winter when I rarely shoot. I prefer the precision of my single stage but would like to have a turret at some point to increase output. I don't mind the time it takes on my single stage but some do. I think a single stage is best for learning curve but I am no expert. so I bet others will chime in.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
izzyjoe

Post by izzyjoe »

there could also be difference in bullets, some leverguns don't feed SWC's very well. Lee makes some great products, i started on a Lee breechlock kit. it's all the press i'll ever need.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

I have the Lee Classic Cast 4-hole turret but don't use it with the auto advance. I reload only 100-150 at a time of each caliber. The time savings for me at that rate was dramatic just from not having to install and readjust the dies. At the time I bought it the breechlock feature was available but I went with the turret for when I start reloading 9mm.

Plus, if I remember correctly, the cost of 4 breechlock bushings for each set of dies is greater than the cost of 1 4-hole turret. Yes, I'm a penny pincher!

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I started many moons ago with the little ole Lee Loader, still have it and a bunch of others. Also have a bunch of Lee presses: single stage Breech Lock, Turret, and three Load Master dedicated to pistol cartridges. I shoot a lot of handgun ammo, just don't talk about it much here as it is all semi auto stuff.
Michael
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Ranch Dog wrote:I started many moons ago with the little ole Lee Loader, still have it and a bunch of others. Also have a bunch of Lee presses: single stage Breech Lock, Turret, and three Load Master dedicated to pistol cartridges. I shoot a lot of handgun ammo, just don't talk about it much here as it is all semi auto stuff.
I was looking at some youtube videos of the Load Master today. That looks like a nice machine and wont break the bank..
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

golfish wrote:I was looking at some youtube videos of the Load Master today. That looks like a nice machine and wont break the bank..
I sure wouldn't recommend it as a first press and the less you mess with things the better off you are, hence; my desire to have one dedicated to the 380 Auto, 9mm Luger, and 45 ACP. If you really get serious about one, starting hanging out on the Load Master forum. Once they are setup and the hoppers full, a monkey can keep the lever pumping or at least my grandkids can.
Michael
doskiez

Post by doskiez »

On the reloading topic I learned on and still use a Lee turret press. I love the press and use it mainly for pistol rounds. I would like to pick up a breech lock for loading the 45-70 since I prefer to weigh each charge.
Rio Grand .45-70
Many more guns, reloading equipment, etc etc.