Why do you Reload ??

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Why do you Reload ??

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

I been loading my own for 25 years and I have learned one thing I can bank on, everytime I get
A good load worked up, I buy a new gun.
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Bibletotingunslinger wrote:I been loading my own for 25 years and I have learned one thing I can bank on, everytime I get
A good load worked up, I buy a new gun.
Yep, that is because we only shoot so that we can keep reloading! If I couldn't reload, I doubt that I would shoot. ;)
Michael
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

I started seven years ago to save a little money on the amount of shooting I wanted to do with my 45-70. Being from a long line of farmers it seemed a waste to buy those big brass cases at $1.50+ each and toss them. So I started reloading them for a fraction of shelf prices. My mentors swore it would become more addictive than shooting. It has. The feeling gotten from harvesting food with your own ammo is worth more than any money saved......priceless.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

I don't seem to reload much anymore, nor do I shoot very much what I have already loaded either! Until we start getting some primers into town (and some powder too) I'm sitting tight on everything.. I've ordered bullets quite a long time ago (long enough where I can't remember exactly what I ordered) from a couple outfits, who knows when or if that stuff will come.. Until then I have bought a couple of airgun rifles just to plink with, that stuff seems unaffected, yet.. Makes zero sense to burn up the rest of my reloading supplies if they can't get anymore until 2016! :twisted
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Why do I reload?
Sometimes I don't if I catch a sale on cheap ammo at a retail store.
The factory ammo is as good or better than most peoples reloads & in the case of our chosen topic legacy lever action rifles and their clones is much more accurate than both the lever guns it is shot in & the "long in the tooth" shooters holding them.
I get a kick out of hexagenarian shooters with coke bottle glasses holding battered old Winny 94s purportedly hand loading to shave their groups down by 1/2 MOA. :mrgreen:
Range humor :lol: & irony like that is one of the reasons I still go there rather than save myself the yearly dues and set a target up in a gravel pit.
On the other hand ammo for my Remington 700 in 416 Remington Magnum is well over $100 for a box of 20.........I do hand load for it cause I got lots of brass bought way back when the 416 was Big Greens "golden haired boy" and ammo & components were relatively cheap.
Now Remington won't sell 416 Remy brass and is holding customers who bought THEIR products (gun & ammo) hostage with factory ammo that is well over $100 @ box of 20. :twisted:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:On the other hand ammo for my Remington 700 in 416 Remington Magnum is well over $100 for a box of 20.........I do hand load for it cause I got lots of brass bought way back when the 416 was Big Greens "golden haired boy" and ammo & components were relatively cheap.

Now Remington won't sell 416 Remy brass and is holding customers who bought THEIR products (gun & ammo) hostage with factory ammo that is well over $100 @ box of 20. :twisted:
Yeah, that is tough to swallow on both fronts; the factory ammo and components! Ammo has become a good commodity for horse trading. My FFL gave me $$ towards my Rossi 351 revolver for two boxes of the Hornady 350-grain ammo. The ammo was a dozen years old and I doubled my money on it.

Have I mentioned that I have the only custom 450 Marlin Lee Loader? It was manufactured immediately before Lee stopped accepting special orders for these kits.
Michael
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

I started reloading back in grade school. My dad had an old C&H press and I asked Santa for dies and components. It is something I really enjoy..... I put my laptop by me with a old movie in for back ground noise and just get lost in the brass :D .
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Arktikos wrote:I don't seem to reload much anymore, nor do I shoot very much what I have already loaded either! Until we start getting some primers into town (and some powder too) I'm sitting tight on everything.. I've ordered bullets quite a long time ago (long enough where I can't remember exactly what I ordered) from a couple outfits, who knows when or if that stuff will come.. Until then I have bought a couple of airgun rifles just to plink with, that stuff seems unaffected, yet.. Makes zero sense to burn up the rest of my reloading supplies if they can't get anymore until 2016! :twisted
Same here, I'm not shooting anything for now unless it really needs shot. I've got some reloading supplies that will probably last for a while, but not forever. I've got more 44-40 loaded up than I'll probably ever use, but I'm feeling a bit embarrassed in the 357 Mag department. I guess I need to get all my loading and casting stuff together in one pile and see what I can come up with for the 357s.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yea componennts are not easy to find now either, I am glad I have a decent stash of powders and primers. Sadly not much in bullets for my 9mm. but I have close to 6000 different bullets for loading in my .357/.38special. I have several thousand match bullets in .308 from 175 to 168 grain depending on the day and range for what flavor is needed. I am only short on .357 mag cases and 9mm bullets less than 600 but I can get by for now. Thank god I stocked what I have when I did. I cannot even get rimfire ammo in any of the stores around here are always empty. I like the hobby though and hope components will catch up to demand.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Well I picked up 200 match grade small pistol primers today after work. Match grade is not what I wanted but that is all they had left. Talking to the staff at the local gun shop that always has a large supply of components he said the owner and manager just told the counter staff it looks like they won’t even have what they will need by hunting season this fall. This gun shop has not jacked up their prices and will always have my business. Can’t say that about another shop here. They are charging $280 for a brick of 500 .22’s. I would go back to caveman days and kill it with a rock first before I would pay that price for .22’s.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson