Why do you Reload ??

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Why do you Reload ??

Post by Ranch Dog »

Barry in IN wrote:That depends. If you tried to work up a load in the .25acp using a SWC of about 120 grains, he might be OK with it.
Huh???
Michael
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

No wonder that made no sense. I thought I was replying with a quote instead of just posting a reply.
That was meant to be in response to the comment on the first page about Elmer Kieth rolling in his grave over anyone reloading the .25ACP.
I read it and had this picture in my mind of the old master designing a SWC of about double the usual weight in order to make the existence of the cartridge almost tolerable for him.
twobitokie
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by twobitokie »

because most of my guns are big boomers, 44 mag, 7 mm mag, soon a 45-70. As I get older, I still like the big bores but not so much the recoil. Reloading lets me make anything I want. Right now all 5 of my 44 mags are shooting lite 44 spec loads out of mag cases.

when the zombies start invading the town, I can load up some nasty stuff. same gun, same trigger, bigger boom.

I do it for the custom nature of the activity.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

twobitokie wrote:because most of my guns are big boomers, 44 mag, 7 mm mag, soon a 45-70. As I get older, I still like the big bores but not so much the recoil. Reloading lets me make anything I want. Right now all 5 of my 44 mags are shooting lite 44 spec loads out of mag cases.

when the zombies start invading the town, I can load up some nasty stuff. same gun, same trigger, bigger boom.

I do it for the custom nature of the activity.
Whenever I'm feeling lethargic & sluggish I'll take the .454 Casull Rossi Puma out to the range & pop off a dozen or so "aggressively loaded" rounds.
The recoil which even rattles the fillings in my teeth kick starts some of the bodily functions that have begun to atrophy & gets them moving again.........much more effective than "Geritol". :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Started reloading because my dad & his Navy buddy did. Continued doing my own because it was a normal thing to do.
Down here in Peru there are very few options in ammo available. All the 38 Special ammo was undersized and terribly inacurate out of my Colt Police Positive. Then when I found a 44-40 lever carbine I discovered again badly undersized bullets. So accuracy and a proper fitted bullet are also involved.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
deaddoc4444

Post by deaddoc4444 »

I started reloading in 1971 using the Lee Basic Tool and the "Old Plastic Hammer " Did some nice ammo for 38 special on that loader . It lead to another one in 45 auto .
I got into it for the aspect that I just could not get ammo I wanted for either of the above mentioned cals. I was new in Police work and and could not find ammo that I FELT was what I wanted for defense work . I decided to load my own . EARLY 38 spl +Ps before the name caught on , AND I wanted to assure much better accuracy than I was getting with the HIGH VELOCITY factory ammo I could buy then .
I find that I can "tailor " the loads I WANT with reloads much easier than factory loads . MOST of my "EFFECTIVE" loads are NOT MAX velocity and are tailored for the accuracy area more than 110% energy or "POWER"
As A "COP" in the 70s and 80s I found it very easy to "scrounge " wheel weights from the numerous gas stations =in my area. They were happy to GIVE THEM away . SO that started me into casting .
The cost factor has only been a factor in bullet casting since I have had to BUY very little in that area over the years. The exception to that has been buying TIN in the last few years but since I don't use that much of it in the mix it is still very easy to cover.
I hunt with my kids and grand kids. Both my sons have taken numerous deer over the years and neither has taken a deer with the exception of the first one each with other than reloads I have provided . I have not shot a deer my self in the last 40 years except with reloads cant figure how I could do it other wise .
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Factory ammo is far superior to what it was in the 70s & 80s.
A hand loader with a Lee Loader could best 60s & 70s vintage factory ammo.
Now you have to be on top of your game to do better than the factory ammo featuring premium bullets offered today.
That being the case I buy some off the shelf and reload some.
For example I found some really cheap HSM brand 45-70 ammo featuring a 430 grain hard cast bullet coming out of the barrel approx 1750 fps so I use that in my four 45-70s along with the Hornady factory 325 grain FTX "Gummy Bear" ammo.
The above ammo is < $30 a box.
There's no way I'd pay upwards of $50 a box for Buffalo Bore or the Garrett offerings.
Given those choices it'd be a beeline back to the ole reloading bench.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

They don't make factory 357 Mag ammo that is tailor made for rifles using slower burning powders to make the best of the longer barrels. Also there hasn't been a factory 44-40 High Velocity load since before World War II.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

I actually bought out a friends setup a pair of Lee Pro 1000's as well as the other things such as trimmer, bullet pullers, tumbler, a couple of scales, books and a 500 bullets of 9mm and 45 Colt as well as brass for all. There was also 2 lbs of Pyrodex RS, 1 lb of Bullseye and Accurate #2. This setup included 3 Lee Pro Disk powder setups. Well the two presses was setup for 357/38 and 45 Colt. I then spent more on current books including Lee, Lyman, Lyman Black Powder, Hornady and Speer books. I've since added a book from Laser Cast on reloading their bullets. Now the original investment was $350 for all of it and the books for Amazon prices. Once I loaded a the 500 round of 45 Colt with Pyrodex I knew in spite of how well the press worked it wasn't for me as I wanted something a bit slower and less complicated. I then sold both presses for $300 complete. I then picked up a Lee Classic Turret, Lee Hand Press and a Lee Reloader Press and 2 new Lee Pro disk powder measures from FS Reloading. I've loaded all the original powders and bullets and moving to 45 ACP as well as newly acquired 45-70 Rio Grande as well as added 8 lbs of real BP and several Lbs of pistol powder and 3 rifle powders. I've also purchased another 500 bullets in 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt 200 gr, 45 Colt 250 gr, and 1500 bullets from Laser Cast in 45-70 for 300, 350, 405 gr. I have 250 Remington brass for 45-70 and 50 Starline cases all new.

So in closing I've spent more than I wanted the first batch of stuff cost $50 for a tumbler, media, Hornady Hand primer, 2 scales, a Lee pro powder setup, 3 bullet pullers one of which is the RCBS type that uses a die, sizing tools, bulge buster from Lee, and Lub/sizer for 45 Colt as well as 6 storage boxes (round), 1000 bullets (45 Colt/9mm), 1500 LPP, 1000 SPP, powder etc. So I feel I started out cheap in the long run since that $50 investment saved me a lot.
Joe
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I think I've got every reloading manual that had ever been printed.
I've got cupboard shelves loaded down with the things.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA