Acquired Browning BLR Takedown in 450 Marlin

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Acquired Browning BLR Takedown in 450 Marlin

Post by pricedo »

I suppose everybody has their ballistic perversions/obsessions.
Some on here like their car battery sized lead bullets..........I like my shoulder cannons.
As long as we're having fun & loading/shooting safely with due respect & regard for ourselves & others each & everyone to their own. :mrgreen: :D
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Had the BLR Takedown in 450 Marlin with the Leupold Rifleman 2-7x33mm scope on top out on the range today to sight it in with the Hornady 350 grain FP factory ammo.
I detached the barrel and forearm between groups to facilitate swabbing the barrel from the breach end and accuracy was totally unaffected.........a tip of the hat to Miroku of Japan for the superb quality of their machining & fitting.
I consistently achieved 5-shot groups @ 100 yards like the one in the picture (center of blaze orange cross) and was having so much fun 2 boxes of ammo disappeared before I was done.
The 350 grain FP Hornady factory ammo is very accurate in my BLR.
I re-taped the cross after every 5-shot group.........they were all about the same with some even smaller.
The recoil pad (I believe it's made by Pachmayr) really does the job.........it felt like I was shooting a 308 or a 30-06.
I'm quite pleased with that rifle/scope/ammo combination.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice shooting!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

This is a pic of my BLR 450 Marlin taken @ 05:30 AM in poor lighting with my iPhone 4.
Maybe by the time the iPhone 10 comes along these things will take a decent picture. :roll:
Browning & Leupold........"LEAVE YOUR TOOL BOX ON THE SHELF" QC written all over that combo (immaculate furniture & checkering, w/m fit & bluing, smooth as glass cycling, very accurate) & it gets the results. :mrgreen:
You'll notice the soft nylon choker loop of the Quake "Claw" sling around the barrel........very strong, silent, won't scratch the barrel metal or crush delicate magazine tubes & absolutely won't slip off. :mrgreen:
The sling is attached with the conventional eye-screw and sling swivel configuration on the butt stock..........requires 1 small pilot hole to be drilled in the wood.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Very nice rifle.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

akuser47 wrote:Very nice rifle.
The inferior iPhone photo doesn't do the BLR justice. I've never fired a gun with such robust ballistics that had so little apparent (felt) recoil.
I shot that thing all afternoon yesterday & my shoulder should have been blue but it wasn't even tender.
The Guide Gun I shot today with heavily loaded 430 grain HC lead ammo was just as accurate but significantly less humane. :shock:
Believe me.......that cheap Guide Gun recoil pad is just for show. :evil:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've always thought the 450 Marlin chambered BLR the most handsome of the lot. The larger barrel diameter improves the appearance of the rifle for me. I have thought off and on about this chambering as well as the 358 Win. I've been in two different deer camps that had BLR hunters and thought they look right at home.

Love the Pachmayer pads. All my Marlin's from the 356 Win and larger had the original butt plates or pads removed and grind to fit Pachmayers installed. I've thought about them on the RG4570, R92 454 Casull, and R92 480 Ruger but just haven't gotten to it.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

The rimless 450 Marlin cartridge lends itself to smooth, hang up free action cycling and feeding and they stack more efficiently in a box magazine like the BLR has.
A rimmed cartridge would be angled slightly downward and possibly hang-up on the front edge of the magazine box whereas the rimless 450 Marlin cartridges sit level in the magazine box. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Nodnarb

Post by Nodnarb »

Very nice rifle. The BLR takedown is on my "to buy" list. Not sure what caliber just yet. Congrats!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: A change is as good as a rest

Post by pricedo »

Nodnarb wrote:Very nice rifle. The BLR takedown is on my "to buy" list. Not sure what caliber just yet. Congrats!
A BLR was on my "to buy" list but now I own 2 BLR Takedowns........one in 308 Win & one in 450 Marlin.........very happy with both of them.
I love working on & tuning up/fixing up guns but sometimes buying a gun or 2 you can just pull out of the box and take to the range & shoot like the rich folks do is a welcome change just like the odd sip from a $300 bottle of vintage whiskey (Johnnie Walker Blue Label) is nice once in a while that you can't afford to drink it all the time. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA