Looking for a bullet for a Rossi 92 heavier than 250 gr

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Looking for a bullet for a Rossi 92 heavier than 250 gr

Post by Ranch Dog »

joec wrote:I also have one other question as you show using 25.5 gr of Lil'Gun but in another place show the max load for Lil'Gun at 24 gr. If you started cold working up a load what would the min be for Lil'Gun. It is a powder I find very little information on it other than 410 shot shells.
Joe, I'm going to post my response to your email here as well just in case others might have the same question...

"Greetings Joe and thanks for bringing this to my attention! I see that the data from my web site is from my primarily calculations prior to pressure testing with the Marlin 1894. I generated "conservative" data to be on the safe side before diving in but never updated the data with my results. I've updated everything this morning based on the 20" barrel of the R92 rather than the 16 1/4" barrel of the marlin 1894S. You will notice that the list of powders has dropped significantly as only a few are appropriate when pushing the heavy bullet out of the 45 Colt.

Use standard safe reloading practices, 10% below max and work your way up. Your use of my data is at your own risk."
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Thanks Ranch Dog but I'm still confused as I don't see the changes on your site in the data. It matches up to what I already have as far as your powder list goes unless I'm not understanding something. I did see noted though that you started 15% below which I didn't notice before but was there. UPDATE: sorry I didn't see the attachment in the email DUH.

My first question was about resizing to .452 or use as they come finished at .454. If I'm to resize them do I need another gas check as I know nothing much about gas checks as I've never loaded with them before nor shot one to my knowledge unless part of a factory load. Thanks for the help though on this. I was thinking it might also work with good with a slow burning powder like an RL-7 for example.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

joec wrote:Thanks Ranch Dog but I'm still confused as I don't see the changes on your site in the data. It matches up to what I already have as far as your powder list goes unless I'm not understanding something. I did see noted though that you started 15% below which I didn't notice before but was there. UPDATE: sorry I didn't see the attachment in the email DUH.

My first question was about resizing to .452 or use as they come finished at .454. If I'm to resize them do I need another gas check as I know nothing much about gas checks as I've never loaded with them before nor shot one to my knowledge unless part of a factory load. Thanks for the help though on this. I was thinking it might also work with good with a slow burning powder like an RL-7 for example.
If you are using the web page link, refresh the web page once loaded or clear your cache.

You can use them at .454 or buy the a .452 Lube and Size Kit to compare which your rifle likes best. You would not use a new gas check but I would run them through the sizing die base first rather than nose first as described on the Lee instructions.

I would recommend only the powders suggested in my load notes. Slow burning powders will produce disappointing results as the bullet is long gone before the powder is burnt.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:If you are using the web page link, refresh the web page once loaded or clear your cache.

You can use them at .454 or buy the a .452 Lube and Size Kit to compare which your rifle likes best. You would not use a new gas check but I would run them through the sizing die base first rather than nose first as described on the Lee instructions.

I would recommend only the powders suggested in my load notes. Slow burning powders will produce disappointing results as the bullet is long gone before the powder is burnt.
Thanks but I got it from the attachment that I didn't notice. Still getting used to the Windows 7's new email reader. At any rate I will be using Lil'Gun as I've got a min and max now and will work up to what I like. As for the sizing I have the Lee .452, .454 and the .458 Lube and Size kits. I will try the .454 first then a few at .452 and see with works best then. I did get order 500 of them which would be a life time supply for me since I don't really hunt often but want to start again when I retire for good June of next year. ;)
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

joec wrote:I did get order 500 of them which would be a life time supply for me...
That is a lot of shoulder punching right there!

All grammar and spelling errors courtesy of my DROIDX and Tapatalk!
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:
joec wrote:I did get order 500 of them which would be a life time supply for me...
That is a lot of shoulder punching right there!

All grammar and spelling errors courtesy of my DROIDX and Tapatalk!
I'm looking at perhaps filling a leather butt stock cover with some kind of rubber when I'm using this on my Rossi 92 for sure. I have a buddy here that does leather work and is really good at it. Cliff Fendley who also makes knives. I talked to him about it just today and getting some kind of limb saver cutting it to fit the shape and putting it into a leather pad that will fit on the butt of my gun. Mine has the old style half moon type with the metal plate, which can be a bit tough on the shoulder I'm sure. :mrgreen:
Joe
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Joec read my mind. This info will be helpful. A reloading buddy and I are planning to start work on a 300gr GC mold and load for our 45's after deer season. He does all his own casting. He has a Marlin 45 and I have a Puma ss trapper in 45. He's supplying the casting skills so......needless to say he wants MY shoulder to do the test firing! The slip-on recoil pad is going to get a workout.

My woods stand is better suited to a 16" barrel than my 26" barrel 1895CB I've been using there. The CB has gotten a few deer so it is the Puma slug slinger's turn. Just not sure how I'll tone down the shiny hardware.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Rooster59 wrote:Joec read my mind. This info will be helpful. A reloading buddy and I are planning to start work on a 300gr GC mold and load for our 45's after deer season. He does all his own casting. He has a Marlin 45 and I have a Puma ss trapper in 45. He's supplying the casting skills so......needless to say he wants MY shoulder to do the test firing! The slip-on recoil pad is going to get a workout.

My woods stand is better suited to a 16" barrel than my 26" barrel 1895CB I've been using there. The CB has gotten a few deer so it is the Puma slug slinger's turn. Just not sure how I'll tone down the shiny hardware.

Jeff
I actually have leather should pad in production right now with a 1/2" of shock gel type padding like what is used on a shot gun butt cover.
Joe
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Well, I'm hoping I don't have to resort to the padded butt plate. My 1895CB with 325LE Hornady is OK to shoot for sight in work with a slip on pad. Hopefully the 92 will be too.

Until we can cast some 300 lead slugs I'm working up to it with some Nosler 250HP's over 2400 in Ruger/TC levels. There's 5 of each on my bench waiting to test with 17.5gr, 18.5gr, and 19.5gr respectively. They appear to be within pressure limits and should wring out in the 1250 to 1400fps range. Does that sound right?

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Jeff, I ran the your data in QL and here is what it spit out.
Clipboard01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael