So what leverguns are on your wish list? (Including Rossi)

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: So what leverguns are on your wish list? (Including Ross

Post by Archer »

I wouldn't mind a .375 Winchester but they seem a bit overpriced recently and ammo can be a pain in the posterior.
.405 Winchester in an 1895 Miruko Winchester mite be fun as well.

At the shop I hang around we had several customers come in during the Bush and early Obama administration looking for ammo and I checked my normal hard to find online sources as well to no avail.
There were times getting .444 Marlin was a royal pain. The shop owner had a .444 Marlin on the shelf for months and finally made me a deal on it I couldn't refuse. He had been unable to find ammo but I'd sourced it before I picked up the rifle. Not cheap at a buck and a half a shot but good stuff.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I thought the 444 Marlin was dead but both Wal-Mart and Academy have it on the shelf here. What is weird is that it has never been available here before.
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've been amazed over the years at some of the stuff we've been able to come up with including some rather ridiculous French pin fire ammo. During W's administration stuff started getting a bit rare.
When Obama got elected all the newbies wanting guns and all the normal folks wanting to suddenly stockpile rounds for what they had really stripped out the inventory and any ability for the industry to respond in short order.

I don't think .444 Marlin ever quite fell off to nothing out there. It did get to the point where it was $2 a shot. Hornady 265 grain flat points were sold out for months at a time. The silly FTXs were available more often the past couple years but you could find some Garrett, Buffalo Bore or Remington for $40 a box and up.

.375 Winchester on the other hand was something I couldn't even find used brass or bullet for and actual factory loaded ammo was simply not to be had a few years ago. Winchester lists a single load on their website. Midway and Buds both list the cartridge but as unavailable seasonal production. That used to mean once a year or maybe every two years Winchester or Federal or Remington made a run of the oddball stuff both ammo and brass. Now it means you are probably out of luck for multiple years unless a boutique component and/or ammo producer puts something together.

Based on talking to other folks and info on the web I've come to the conclusion that availability locally is totally weird. Walmart here has been told by corporate to not even reserve shelf space for .22 LR because they can't keep it in stock. If any comes in they put it on the bottom shelf with the overstock. One of the local Walmarts was selling .30 Carbine for years and the other one in town said they couldn't get it. The first store eventually got slapped down by corporate and had their sporting goods section cut down to 1/3 the size they were using. Seems despite the fact they were selling stuff it didn't match the cookie cutter model the business majors from Arkansas deemed the right way to do things. One of my college buds found .38 S&W on the local Walmart shelves in GA. I haven't seen any of that stuff except for some reloads left over from a dead guy's stash in the past 15 years.

I had to order in my .444 ammo. I found what I wanted at 3 different online stores before I managed to actually get the order in the first time. It kept selling out faster than I could place the order. The second time around Midway had it on sale.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The problem with the 375 Win is that it was a hard sell, just not that many rifles were built. Only 16,000 Marlins were produced. Winchester made 19,000 angle eject rifles chambered in that cartridge. The top eject records were lost in a fire but it really could not add much to the number and the same with the Savage 99.

The best bet for factory ammo for the 375 Win is Buffalo Bore's 38-55 Win ammo with the 255-grain bullet. The link details the reasons to use it. I actually am doing something similar to what they talk about in my reloading. Their comments reflect what I've found through my experience with pressure testing the cartridge. Of course, once the dust settles with the shipping, I suspect it is going to be very close to $4/cartridge!
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Just did a quick scroll through Starline's site. It was refreshing to see everything I looked at marked as available and as is pertinent to the current discussion they have 444 and both standard and long 38-55 available.

Just so ya know :)

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Well that's an improvement. Last I checked I don't think Starline listed .444.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Further searching I discovered that E. Arthur Brown (eabco.net) says they have 375 Win brass in stock. It'd formed from new 30/30 cases according to the description. Using 38-55 per Buffalo Bore sounds like a better route after reading the link RD posted.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've found a few things at E. Authur Brown from time to time.
I have to agree that Buffalo Bore seems to have the right idea. Sot of makes me wish I'd taken the bud up on getting his 94 XTR .375 off him.
P89DC

Post by P89DC »

Stainless 24" Octagonal in 480 Ruger for less than $600. To match my Ruger 480 Super BlackHawk :)
44mag and 357mag are my choices for rifle/revolver cartridges.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I forgot the number 1 bucket list lever I always say in these threads Winchester 1895 leveraction in 7.62x54 only 300000 were made n sent to russia.not alot in the states.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!