Rethinking my 357 Mag as a hog rifle?

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Rethinking my 357 Mag as a hog rifle?

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I just cast some of those Lee 358-158-RF, got them coated, and will be loading some tomorrow. I very much dislike the fact that they are bevel based (really wish I had noticed that before I bought it) but I bought it a while back because I wanted something easier to load that didn't have the SWC's edge. I have a few pounds of unknown but harder alloy that I figured I would try several different magnum loadings and see if there is any accuracy involved. They will all be through my 16" R92 so that should give plenty of velocity. I know I want that NOE RD mold but jeeze have I dumped a lot of money into this hobby lately.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I hear you, real easy to dump a lot of money into this and do it real quick. I'm at the point that I'm very settle so my expenses have just about halted. I would like a subsonic bullet for my Mini-30 so maybe NOE will kick in if I continue my load work for them.

I think all the Lee plain base bullets are bevel based now.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm sitting here just finishing up some more work on the forum and realize that my R92 357 Mag would best serve me as a round ball shooter to control the glut of raccoons that plague me. Just like feral hogs, raccoons are epidemic and right now is the time that is ripe for these critters as the pecans are just prior to dropping.

I have a very large pecan than covers almost my entire house and I know that the raccoons are up in it because of what is hitting the roof. I also have the remains of a orchard throughout my yard and when I took the dog out earlier, I could see at least 25 to 30 raccoons busy in their harvest. I would prefer that the whitetails get the crop. The R92 in this role can do more of a service than all my other R92s combined can on feral hogs. This is just as big a problem and the rifle is going to be put to it.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice get those bandits
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
ethang

Post by ethang »

Mike you live in a target rich environment. 25-30 just poking your head out in the yard. I would think a suppressor on the end of that 357 would make a dandy raccoon shooter.
Plastic has no soul...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

ethang wrote:Mike you live in a target rich environment. 25-30 just poking your head out in the yard. I would think a suppressor on the end of that 357 would make a dandy raccoon shooter.
Yeah it would but the rifle would be a bit cumbersome. Better to spread it all out over a few nights!
Michael
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

:lol: Sounds like you could go into the Davey Crocket raccoon hat business
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

What kind of accuracy do you get from those round ball loads? I've seen where guys have loaded all sorts of things with the .36 balls usually lubed with alox. I've even seen where a guy tried to do the old Remington double ball load in magnum brass. Not sure why but I've just never tried it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

This is my sight in target. The group low and to the right is actually four holes. I made an scope adjustment and the fifth shot was centered and 1/2" high so I called it good enough.

I switched to Trail Boss and it kept them centered but dropped them in the bull at 25-yards.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

NavyDoc76-80 wrote:[emoji38] Sounds like you could go into the Davey Crocket raccoon hat business
If my grandson was still here, we would!
Michael