2nd range trip issues...

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: 2nd range trip issues...

Post by Jaybm »

Looks good ethang ! Evidently no issues reassembling ?

What part of MI are you located ? Just curious, spent some time at the lighthouse
in Menominee back in '55. Had the pleasure of working with one of the last original
Lighthouse Keepers. Interesting ole cuss and contrary to his reputation we got along
just fine. Met a lot of great folks there. ha ha, I think we survived on Lake Michigan
Perch.

Of course most lights are automated now.

Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
ethang

Post by ethang »

Reassembly was easy as could be. Either I just lucked out or Rossi has made some improvements in the factory assembly. I am near Lansing. Grew up in Charlotte. My wife and I started a light house tour years ago but have not finished it yet. The old ways are dying out. Soon they will be run with Chinese LED's
Plastic has no soul...
ethang

Post by ethang »

Two more coats over the weekend. We had some really hot days and I put not only my rifle, but the linseed oil out in the sun to get heated up first.

I have lost track of the exact number but this is at least 10 coats, the last 4 have been more or less straight BLO. I noticed not only a deeper and glossier finish, but also much more friction going without mineral spirits. More nights have been spent watching TV and dry cycling it. My wife might be going a bit nuts over it but she has been a good sport. It is to the point I cannot tell any difference between my tweeked 45 Colt and this 357. They are both very very smooth.

Deer season is just over two months away. My hunting round will likely just be the 158 grain soft point Federal round. I don't know that there will be enough time to work up a load before hand. The heavy gas checked cast bullet will be on my buy list. Maybe for next deer season.
Plastic has no soul...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

You can be really proud of the work you have put into that rifle. Looks great!
Michael
ethang

Post by ethang »

Ranch Dog wrote:You can be really proud of the work you have put into that rifle. Looks great!
Thank you but other than the having done a BLO finish before, everything I have done to this rifle has been picked up from you guys, from the soaking, to the brake cleaner flush. The experience that is displayed here from all of you repairing and improving these rifles is what you should be proud of.

I never used a thinner in the oil before reading about it here. I do think it enabled a deeper penetration of the wood. Every thing about that stocks appearance is just elbow grease.

I am curious if my old oil vs new oil would make any difference. At the rate I am using it I will never get close to using all of this quart. I would like to hear from others who have not done any internal smoothing of theirs, just cycling to see how its working out. The test for mine will be when I start running some serious rounds downrange.
Plastic has no soul...
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

That is a great job on that wood. You're going to shame me into do something with my factory finish. :oops:
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

So far I haven't taken mine apart to smooth them up.
I thought I'd have to and got the Steve's video prior to the gun.
When I got the gun(s) I noticed the lever latch was already radiused and nothing on them seemed as tight or rough as a lot of folks were complaining. I cycled each of them a thousand times to start changing the lubricant at the start and halfway through. I've probably cycled them another thousand times since.

Feeds well, ejects ok, seems to hit targets fine but most of the shots I've taken have been on steel.
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

Archer wrote:Feeds well, ejects ok, seems to hit targets fine but most of the shots I've taken have been on steel.
Are you a cowboy silhouette shooter also?
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

No cowboy silhouette.
The range has short range steel pre set up so it is easy to take the carbines to that firing line and plink a bit.
Only problem is it gets too easy popping 4-6" disks at 35-50 yards.
Trying to hit somewhat larger steels at 200-400 yards is a bit more problematic...

I need to put all three of mine on paper at 75, 100 and 150 or so.
ethang

Post by ethang »

What to do on a lazy day off after all the yard work is done? Not enough ammo on hand for a Rossi range trip... so I poured a nice Bombay Martini, sat on the deck on a wonderful warm Michigan fall day and rubbed on another coat of linseed oil. If I lived someplace else I might have been happy with one 30/30 as my go to rifle. Since I live in the lower part of the state and can't hunt with a 94, this little 92 is rapidly becoming my favorite. My 45 Colt is very pretty, but it just never won me over. This little 357 has.

No new pictures. It looks the same as the last photo. The difference is with every coat of oil it gets a little warmer to the touch, a little more comfortable on the cheek, and a little more mine. I can foresee numerous winter nights sitting beside a fire, my dog at my feet, cocktail in hand rubbing on another coat. I think I need to find a nice old corncob pipe...
Plastic has no soul...