2nd range trip issues...

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
ethang

Re: 2nd range trip issues...

Post by ethang »

2 coats on getting ready for the 3rd

This coat I added another part of linseed oil to my 3-1 mixture. The sun has finally come out here in MI and the weather is in the mid 80's so this coat went on a little heavier, got the normal rub in with hand friction and then propped out in the sun. This is coat number 3 and still a bit wet. I don't care about looks for this finish, just water protection and not having the dye come off on my hands and face. The fore end is going to match up ok.

Tomorrow afternoon I am going to up the oil content again and maybe call it good. Four coats and a beeswax/tallow/neetsfoot oil sealer should give me all I need.
Plastic has no soul...
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

looking good!

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yes, it looks very good.
Michael
ethang

Post by ethang »

This will likely be my final Linseed coat. I have 5 coats mixed with 3-1, 2-1, and 1-1 linseed/mineral spirits, this picture is after 2 coats of straight oil, some hot Michigan weather, and a really good friction rub with my hands. Getting a good warm up was MUCH easier today then it was all weekend. Temps in the mid 80's and sun vs low 70's and clouds.

As I said, this jug of oil is at least 20 years old and I think it might be older than that. I don't remember exactly when I bought it but it was late 80's early 90's. Doing this re-finish brought back many fond memories of my youth. In the early 80's I saved my hay bailing money and bought a TC Hawken kit and did a straight Linseed finish. Many nights after school was spent in the basement sanding and rubbing oil into that stock. I did another one in the early 90's when my kids were little and would sit beside me and watch. It's funny how smells will stir old memories in ways other things just don't.
Plastic has no soul...
tnaz

Post by tnaz »

Thats very cool!!! Sure will make you think.

Thanks for sharing that,

terry
ethang

Post by ethang »

Done for now. I am going to hold off sealing the stocks. Maybe a few more coats of oil on lazy nights watching a good John Wayne western. That and I want to go to the range tomorrow...

My final thoughts on this. Warm oil and hot sunny days are much better than cold oil and cool days. The amount of friction I was able to generate without the mineral spirits diluting the linseed oil was drastic. Whether the difference was the weather or the dilution I cannot say. However, rubbing the stock the last two days with straight and nearly straight linseed oil and warmer weather I could generate an uncomfortable amount of heat with my hand. Not matter how fast or hard I rubbed I could not do that with the earlier diluted coats.

Never having used True Oil I can't speak to it, however this is the 3rd rifle I have used Boiled Linseed oil and have had stellar results with each one. No this wood is not a good chunk of walnut, but on a working rifle who cares. Now to shoot the hell out of it and kill some backstraps.
Plastic has no soul...
tnaz

Post by tnaz »

Looks good. Just went to Lowes and picked up a can of boiled linseed oil. I was told they do not make plain linseed oil, don't know if there is a difference? Fin to google.
ethang

Post by ethang »

tnaz wrote:Looks good. Just went to Lowes and picked up a can of boiled linseed oil. I was told they do not make plain linseed oil, don't know if there is a difference? Fin to google.
"They" still do. I found raw linseed oil at my local True Value hardware however I did not want to spend the money on another big container when I still had 3/4 of a quart of boiled that I had used before. From what I have heard, newer boiled has modifiers in it to make it dry faster. I am not sure if my old stuff is like that or more natural. Either way, new boiled should work just fine. I have liked my results.
Plastic has no soul...
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

watco and frombys are known to have drieing agents mixed into them as well as a sealing type varnish in some. If you want plain linseed oil you need to buy pure boiled linseed oil pure is the key. Its not as easy to find as I wanted some pure, and gave up but frombys and watco performed nice anyways :D
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
ethang

Post by ethang »

The good part about a real oil finish is you can add another coat anytime you want. I am enjoying a nice lazy Saturday watching College football and rubbing another coat on my rifle. Maybe next week I will actually start shooting it.
Plastic has no soul...