Right place, right time... what a deal....!

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
RevJammer

Right place, right time... what a deal....!

Post by RevJammer »

Gander Mountain recently (past 3 months or so) opened a store in our area. I have been in GM before, out of state, and usually their prices are higher than a cat's back.

Today my wife and I were in the neighborhood so we decided just to stroll through and say we have been there. I was NOT looking to buy anything in particular. As we strolled down the huge back wall of guns, I saw a lot of stuff I liked, but again, not looking to make a purchase.

As I got to the end of the wall, the used gun section, I noticed a lever action rifle with a price tag of $199.99. So I waited 15 minutes for an employee to come see if I needed help. I asked to see the rifle and asked what was wrong with it. He assured me nothing was wrong with it, he had just put it on the shelf a little earlier this morning.

It was a Winchester 94 in .32 Winchester Special. I had never really heard of this particular caliber, but any Winchester should be worth more than $200, Right?! The rifle shows signs of use, but no major nicks, scratches, dents, or abuse. I would put it's condition in probably about a 7 out of 10 (10 being mint). Action was actually quite tight and the barrel looked relatively bright and crisp.

What could I do? I couldn't help it... I dropped the $200 on it then and there. Once I got it out... I hopped on the ol' interwebs and come to find out it is a Pre-64... manufactured in 1951! If that wasn't good enough, they had bulk packs of Remington 22.lr for $25 - so I bought one of those too!

I would appreciate any information you all would like to toss my way about this rifle / caliber. Thanks in advance!
Win 94 32 Win Spc.jpg
RJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Right place, right time... what a deal....!

Post by mr surveyor »

heck of a deal!

if you don't reload ...... START NOW!

scrounge all the brass you can find and buy a quality set of dies ... even if you're not set up for reloading, yet.

that's about all the "knowledge" I can pass on :D

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Nice find.
I've read about the caliber in my reloading manuals.

As I recall the reason for it was to help with reloading before smokeless powder was easy to get.

Essentially very similar to the .30-30 with a different diameter and twist rate.

Components were available but may be more difficult to get currently.
I'd look for Starline brass and I might even think about casting bullets if jacketed ones were hard to find.
When my manuals were put out most bullet companies made 1 jacketed bullet designed for the caliber if I recall correctly.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice find dang I never find deal like this.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great find and great price! I have a 50's Marlin 336RC chambered in 32 Win Spl, it is an outstanding rifle. I shoot my TLC323-170-RF out of it, never shot jacketed bullets.

I don't shoot it much but I keep it busy and will spend more time with it once I retire.

Image Image
Michael
Conman

Post by Conman »

Dang, you are in luck.................besides finding a great buy on a nice Winchester!!

The November issue of Shooting Times has an article on reloading the .32 Special. If you can't locate a copy of the magazine let me know and I can scan in the reloading info and email it to you.

Congrats.
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

You didn't buy it - you stole it! Congrats on finding a great old rifle at an even greater price.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.