Which 45-70 dies do you like?

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Which 45-70 dies do you like?

Post by joec »

doskiez wrote:I am currently using the RCBS cowboy dies. I have only loaded a few rounds but I really like them. I plan to use mostly hard cast bullets so the coboy dies seemed the logical choice for me. That being said I have a lee progressive press and lee 4 die sets for all my pistols and I dont have a single complaint about any of their equipment. I think either lee or RCBS would be a good choice, I just wanted to experiment with a different brand and have heard nothing but good things about the cowboy dies so I figured I would give it a go. I am also shopping around for a lee breechlock press to use for the 45-70 since I dont plan on loading it progressivly.
The only Cowboy dies I use are the RCBS set for Magtech shot shells. I use a Lee Classic Cast press as that is the only press Lee makes that will handle both 7/8 x 14 thread dies and 1 1/4 x 12 dies with removable die adapter which I use a Hornady quick change setup with so I get the best of both worlds. I might add a lot less invested that other 1 1/4 x 12 capable presses too. Also a great press for using the lee bullet sizer and lube setup.

I use the Lee Classic turret for loading 45-70 however as I do for my pistol ammo.
Joe