Which 45-70 dies do you like?

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Which 45-70 dies do you like?

Post by Quinc »

I am leaning toward Dillon or RCBS 45-70 dies but only because I have a 550 and I think they will feed easier. Are there a better set of dies out there, is there any reason to get the rcbs cowboy 45-70 dies vs "normal" die sets?

Also does anyone want to trade a set of Dillon 44mag dies for a set of your 45-70's?
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Which 45-70 dies do you like?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Quinc wrote:I am leaning toward Dillon or RCBS 45-70 dies but only because I have a 550 and I think they will feed easier. Are there a better set of dies out there, is there any reason to get the rcbs cowboy 45-70 dies vs "normal" die sets?

Also does anyone want to trade a set of Dillon 44mag dies for a set of your 45-70's?
I use Lee Precision dies. The straight wall case dies include a "Powder Through Expander" die which makes the set very cast bullet friendly.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Quinc wrote:I am leaning toward Dillon or RCBS 45-70 dies but only because I have a 550 and I think they will feed easier. Are there a better set of dies out there, is there any reason to get the rcbs cowboy 45-70 dies vs "normal" die sets?

I use Lee Precision dies. The straight wall case dies include a "Powder Through Expander" die which makes the set very cast bullet friendly.
I own Lee and RCBS dies for .45-70 GVT.
I have 2 or 3 brands of dies for most calibers I own firearms in.
Collected over the years.
The Lee dies see much more press time than any of the other brands.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Dan 444
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Dan 444 »

I use Lee...they work fine.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

I use Lee dies for the 45-70 and 45 Colt. I am relatively new at hand loading so I realize it isn't a great endorsement but still they do work good for me and are a great value IMHO..

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
deaddoc4444

Post by deaddoc4444 »

I have been loading for the 45/70 for over 35 years now and load so much, for the 45/70 I have 4 sets of dies; One Lyman , One RCBS , and two Lee precision . I get good results with ALL .
IF i was to reduce or start over again after some disaster I would buy the Lee dies and not look back .
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

deaddoc4444 wrote:I have been loading for the 45/70 for over 35 years now and load so much, for the 45/70 I have 4 sets of dies; One Lyman , One RCBS , and two Lee precision . I get good results with ALL .
IF i was to reduce or start over again after some disaster I would buy the Lee dies and not look back .
The Lee products are great.
Results and innovative thinking without breaking the bank.
I recall that even the exulted RCBS railed mightily against the Lee factory crimp dies when they first came out but after shooters tried them and realized they worked RCBS backed off and realized they were beaten to the punch by a think-out-of-the-box company......LEE.

Do you mean a disaster like a zombie apocalypse?
Just think!
A zombie apocalypse would give the Remlin factory a great source of new employees who'd work cheaper and be equally as motivated and dedicated as the incumbent crew. :lol:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

I use Lee dies for all my reloading 9mm, 45 acp, 45 colt and now 45-70. Good price with a set less than a single die from some companies, function well as makes rounds I have no problem loading and shooting.
Joe
deaddoc4444

Post by deaddoc4444 »

Pricedo YES that kind of disaster would produce more employees for Remington But would they be low paid Zombies ???????
doskiez

Post by doskiez »

I am currently using the RCBS cowboy dies. I have only loaded a few rounds but I really like them. I plan to use mostly hard cast bullets so the coboy dies seemed the logical choice for me. That being said I have a lee progressive press and lee 4 die sets for all my pistols and I dont have a single complaint about any of their equipment. I think either lee or RCBS would be a good choice, I just wanted to experiment with a different brand and have heard nothing but good things about the cowboy dies so I figured I would give it a go. I am also shopping around for a lee breechlock press to use for the 45-70 since I dont plan on loading it progressivly.
Rio Grand .45-70
Many more guns, reloading equipment, etc etc.