ARRIVED - Big Horn Armory 500 S&W Model 89 Levergun

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
AJMD429

ARRIVED - Big Horn Armory 500 S&W Model 89 Levergun

Post by AJMD429 »

I am having internet connection issues, but thought I'd share this thread I posted on 'another levergun site'. Truthfully, I don't know if that's bad etiquette, and would have copied and pasted the post here, but my internet connection won't support that this evening.

Anyway - Big Horn Armory IS shipping their Model 89 'Spike Driver' - and the leverguns are awesome.

Now I'll probably put up for sale my Guide Gun, 500 S&W Handi-Rifle, 454 Casull, and maybe even one of my 444 Marlins, to 'make room' for Thumper.

Anyway, here's a link to the thread - Big Horn Armory Spike Driver on Leverguns forum

7.62 Precision

Re: ARRIVED - Big Horn Armory 500 S&W Model 89 Levergun

Post by 7.62 Precision »

With the Big Horn rifle, you don't need the others.

It is a beautiful rifle. Come up here and hammer a big brown bear with it. (So I can shoot it, of course :D.)
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

Wow! That is one fine looking rifle. Now if I just had an extra $2,500 or so lying around, I'd be the proud owner of one. The .500 S&W makes a formidable weapon in a an S&W handgun, but really comes into it's own with a rifle/carbine length barrel.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

AJMD429 wrote:I am having internet connection issues, but thought I'd share this thread I posted on 'another levergun site'. Truthfully, I don't know if that's bad etiquette, and would have copied and pasted the post here, but my internet connection won't support that this evening.
Always welcome to copy and paste anything related to the subject of the forum! Very nice, looking forward to your report!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Def. Give us more info and pics as you can
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I'm just glad to hear all the ill rumors about Big Horn Armory aren't true. I've thought this rifle was a great idea from the minute I read about it. I don't have the money for one but if they keep getting orders them someday I want one of my own. I love that front stock shape and the high comb on the rear with a usable pad on the end.
AJMD429

Post by AJMD429 »

It was rainy (which not only impedes the use of a chronograph, but trashes our satellite internet), but we managed to get a few minutes at the range.

First, we did video the 'recoil'. The one with me shooting was filmed by my daughter, and she 'kept the film rolling' as I walked to the 100 yard range to inspect the gong that I shot down, so it is 180 Megabytes or something, but the one I filmed of her was brief and short enough our internet allowed 'upload', so it is what I posted. She's cuter than me anyway (there's a high bar to clear, eh... :wink: ), plus far more petite. She said the only issue was that her hearing protectors got bumped off her ear, but recoil was "no big deal". This from a kid who was timid enough of a Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag to prefer one in 357 Mag just a couple years ago.

Shooting the Spike Driver Carbine (click the picture):

So - recoil is just NOT a big deal with the Spike Driver. If you don't mind shooting a Marlin Guide Gun, you won't mind shooting the 500 S&W from the Spike Driver.

I'll try to link to a bunch of pictures, if the internet and my wife's Honey-Do list allows it.

Loads I've shot:
  • MagTech Light load 325 grain SJSP
    Buffalo Bore 400 grain SJFN
    Hornady 350 grain XTP
    Federal 325 grain A-frame
    CorBon 275 grain DPX
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Very nice rifle it looks amazing.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
7.62 Precision

Post by 7.62 Precision »

AJMD429 wrote: Loads I've shot:
Buffalo Bore 400 grain SJFN
Hornady 350 grain XTP
Federal 325 grain A-frame
Interested to know velocities on the above some day when you get the chronograph out.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

EXCELLENT.
I have a buddy on another site who had one of these on pre-order and order for over a year and finally got it after much longer delays than expected. His looks quite nice in spite of BHA's teething problems in getting it out to him.

On a side note:
I've been told the TV show American Guns used one of the Big Horn Armory 500s when they claimed to have altered a Winchester 1886 to a S&W 500 'mare's leg' configuration. They completely destroyed the gun and wasted a presentation grade stock chopping it up (and I'm told demanded another when the buggered it up to the point it couldn't even be used.) As they got the gun prior to the first paying customer deliveries that bit of butchery was not well received by those folks waiting for their guns.

I would love one but I honestly am very happy with my 45-70 Japanese 1886 Winchester and my .44 Mag 1894 Winchester and reasonably happy with the .44 Mag 92 Rossi. I don't see myself ever getting a 500 S&W handgun and have three in .44 so I have my doubts I'll ever get the BHA.