Rimfire Levers?

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Rimfire Levers?

Post by Rooster59 »

Mine is a Browning Miroku BL-22 in stainless. Wanted a Marlin 39 but they were too expensive and look a bit weird with the very short receiver. The Browning should have been way more expensive as it is a special edition for Browning only dealers. I found it languishing at my local LGS on consignment from an estate. It had been sitting there for over three years unfired with the sticker still on the forearm. Wrangled it out of there for $350 and let my conscience deal with it.

The short lever throw is nice but the trigger pull is heavier than a barrel of monkeys. The trigger is great otherwise. It doesn't impede good shots but you have to put your trigger finger on a workout program. :)

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

IF that BL-22 is the one I think it is you got a good deal.
I was looking for one of the octagonal ones in sliver and it was a Browning Dealer ONLY item and $750 list.
Never did come up with one while it was supposedly available.

I got my BL-22 standard with a couple scuffs and scratches for about $175 I think.
Lady came into the shop I was hanging around with it, a Colt MKIII Trooper .357, a .30-30 Winchester 94 and a Remington 1100. Her husband had died and she just wanted the guns out of the house. The shop told her what they would give her on them and that she'd do better getting a person interested in them. The guy evaluating the guns knew I was looking for a 6" .357 and was a sucker for levers so he showed them to me and I managed to snag the BL-22 and the Trooper for a little less than book but more than the shop would have paid. Probably should have gone for the Winchester as well but figured I didn't have the fluid cash for it. They found someone else for both of the other long guns that day.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Sorry..........I'm a Ruger 10/22 man........have 2 of them..........cycling a lever is too much work for a lousy 80 ft-lbs of ME. :mrgreen:

Had a Marlin 39A when I was a kid........somebody broke into our bush camp & stole it and some other stuff while dad & I were out fishing up some walleye for supper.......never saw it again. :evil:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've got a couple 10/22s but they aren't nearly as much fun as the Henry or the BLR.

The 1885 Winchester on the other hand IS a bit of work since it is a single shot but I like the lever better than the bolt in operation. Also quite a bit of work is the Smith & Wesson 17. Loading 6 at a time isn't exactly quick although it is accurate.

For semiautos the Ruger MKII is top of the heap IMO.
I've got the 6&7/8" Government model with tens of thousands of rounds through it.
Next up is a CZ-Kadet conversion that rides on top of my CZ-75B about half the time.
Then probably the Smith & Wesson 41.

I need to get the High Standard Trophy out and see what ammo it likes now that I've managed to get some spare mags I need to see if they need tweaking. I'll probably end up setting it up for CCI Standard V.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Have a Browning (jap) and the little thing is the most accurate caliber .22 I have owned. Does have a tight chamber though and the cheap ammo like Wildcat will not all chamber. But the better stuff will shoot into little nickle hole groups at 25 yards.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Missionary wrote:Greetings
Have a Browning (jap) and the little thing is the most accurate caliber .22 I have owned. Does have a tight chamber though and the cheap ammo like Wildcat will not all chamber. But the better stuff will shoot into little nickle hole groups at 25 yards.
Mike in Peru
Good to hear reports are getting better about japchesters I'm glad for their cost that they are turing a corner pricedo has advocated to this in many posts I'm all for them if worth the money. post us som pics if u can love gun pics here.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I initially thought I had accuracy problems with my Miroku model 94 Trails End but the tremendous recoil momentum of a few full power 450 Marlin loads fired from such a light rifle had shaken the front scope base loose........the screws almost fell out.
I will leave the 94 Trails End an iron sighted firearm for now.......shoots 3 shot ragged holes at 50 yards with the factory irons.
Not big on the flimsy Weaver bases for heavy recoil rifles.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

I have 3 Henry rifles, Standard round barrel, 22 LR oct. barrel and a round barrel 22 mag. Also have one of the little "handgun" levers that my 9 yr old boy loves. Mounted a red dot sight on it and he kept the 50 yd dinger ringing till he got tired loading it. +guns All are good shooters and NO issues with any of them. The H001 has been here the longest, with 7 kids, I have long lost count on how many rounds the little lever has had run through it. All I have ever done is clean the barrel, still as smooth and accurate as ever. +1 Henry's are a GREAT value for what you pay, good finish, wood to metal fit, accuracy and a company that is eager to please. We sell them as fast as they hit the shelf, only Henry that had to go back was one of the pumps. DP
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I want to add another octagonal Henry in .22 WMR pretty bad.
AJMD429

Post by AJMD429 »

Ruger 96/22 - with an 'Operative' integrally-suppressed barrel.

This is the gun I ALWAYS use to start folks out, as it is totally quiet, no recoil, and with the 'heads-up' dot sight, it is easy to HIT the 6" gong at 50 yards 100% of the time, unlike all the "kid's 22's" out there, with their low-to-barrel iron sights, or an optical scope, with its limited eye-relief.

Bottom line is I think of this - if someone bet me $100 that a newbie couldn't hit the 6" gong at 100 yards, I wouldn't hand them a firearm I myself would prefer (i.e. a scoped flat-top AR, scoped bolt-action, or a peep-sighted levergun); I'd hand them this levergun, with an integrally-suppressed Thompson Machine 'Operative' (designed originally for the Ruger 10/22). http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... v6_5fuuimc, http://www.thompsonmachine.net/?page_id=14

This approach to 'new shooters' and 'skeptical shooters' (i.e. the kid whose mom isn't sure she wants him/her to learn about 'guns', or the husband who wants a gun in the house, and his wife is scared of them, so he brings her out to 'learn to shoot') really WORKS. Within four hours of firing this levergun, they will be shooting a 44 Magnum revolver and an M1-A, and enjoying it, plus hitting their targets...!!!

Those first few dozen shots with the suppressed levergun, hitting the target consistently, and not enduring any recoil or noise, instill a level of confidence and FUN that I've not been able to achieve without a suppressed firearm.

It takes about five minutes with a jewel-file to cut the second extractor groove for the lever action 96/22 vs. the 10/22, but if you don't want to do that, you can always just get one for your 10/22 and use it that way (you can always later cut the groove and use it on your 96/22, and I think even adapt it to a 77/22).

Last edited by AJMD429 on 23 Feb 2014 12:10, edited 1 time in total.