Hornady FTX 140 grain .357 mag bullets

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Hornady FTX 140 grain .357 mag bullets

Post by akuser47 »

I just had to try them out and I am now workin on some loads for them after special ordering my case trimmer from LEE for this specific round I am ready to turn them out and see if they perform.I have some accurate #9 and according to the hornady ublished info that will push these to1650 at max with 13.5 grains of powder. Anyone else try these yet I know most will say just use the 158grain XTP I have these and shoot them often but they don't look as good as these pointy little devils. LoL This round is not at max as I will work up to that but at 13.7 grains I am hopin she will perform well time will tell I am only startin with 20 rounds at this point to see.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
3006mv

Re: Hornady FTX 140 grain .357 mag bullets

Post by 3006mv »

good for you for working up your loads. you may try to drill out your bullet seating stem to avoid the flext tip polymer from getting deformed. if you have a horandy die you can buy the different bullet seating stem from them made specifically for this bullet. if you have a lee die you can send them a bullet and like $7.50 for a custom stem.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I was debating drilling a dimple on my seating stem for that reason. I am actaully shocked at how soft the tips are. I think I will just wait and buy one from hornady though thanks for the info didn't know they made one for it.
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

AK did you ever use the 140 grain FTX bullets? I just made the major mistake of picking up two boxes of these and then found out I had to trim the brass back in order to use them -- stupid on my part as that is a big pain in the wazoo. I do have some used brass I *might* trim back but geez Hornady that is bad.

I'm a 45-70 shooter and KNOW better than to think a leverevolution bullet would fit a normal sized case. Just wondering how they worked out for you.

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I haven't had them at the range yet been shoting my 158grain XTP's my pet load for this 92 have yet to test it I need to thoug to get an update on this page. LoL I'm slow at these things though never remember this untila after I am at the range LoL.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

akuser47 wrote:I was debating drilling a dimple on my seating stem for that reason. I am actaully shocked at how soft the tips are. I think I will just wait and buy one from hornady though thanks for the info didn't know they made one for it.
They need to be soft and tough to resist deformation in order to prevent mutual ignition of cartridges in tube magazines and yet be resilient enough not to break apart & fall off even in the presence of oils and lubricants.

So far I have had no problems with FTX bullets flattening out or falling off in my 45-70 Guide Guns.

The acid test for Northerners will be how they do in really cold weather. Will they remain tough or harden and break apart in the cold under heavy recoil??
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA