Lemon?

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Yeti575

Lemon?

Post by Yeti575 »

Hello all. I purchased a Rossi Rio Grande yesterday. It has not been shot at this point. I tried loading a few rounds and found I could not get the cartridges in. I quickly discovered if the lever was slightly opened it would take the cartridges. When I attempted to cycle the shells through the gun the lever jammed open. Any advise?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lemon?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeti575 wrote:Any advise?
Greetings and welcome to the forum! I did a quick search using load lever open. You might start reading through these topics.

The RG is relatively easy to work on, are you familiar with the disassembly of a Marlin 336 (what this rifle is a clone of)?
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Decided to come back here as I recall a member having a similar issue. He found a bunch of gunk interfering with the carrier. Have you disassembled the rifle and thoroughly cleaned it yet?
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

DisassemblyReassembly of the RG is as simple as changing your socks........like kindergarten.
Doing the same with the 92........ graduate school. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

pricedo wrote:DisassemblyReassembly of the RG is as simple as changing your socks........like kindergarten.
Doing the same with the 92........ graduate school. :mrgreen:
And sometimes a first aid kit too!
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Yeti575

Post by Yeti575 »

Thank you for all the replies. I have disassembled the gun and have found a lot of burring in the slot that the ejector spring slides along. I am assuming that is what jammed the rifle. I will check for burrs that could be preventing the cartridges from entering the tube. On a side note it appears the plug in the magazine is sticking. I am starting to believe I bought a rifle kit.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeti575 wrote:Thank you for all the replies. I have disassembled the gun and have found a lot of burring in the slot that the ejector spring slides along. I am assuming that is what jammed the rifle. I will check for burrs that could be preventing the cartridges from entering the tube. On a side note it appears the plug in the magazine is sticking. I am starting to believe I bought a rifle kit.
It is really not that bad, I own three RGs and really enjoy them. A couple hours invested in the rifle makes a friend for life.
Michael
bueller66

Post by bueller66 »

A thorough flushing of the mag tube with CNC Brakcleen then a liberal dose of Hoppes gun oil in the tube worked for me. My 410 did the exact same thing out of the box. Then I found this site and realized that all that shipping gunk had to be in that mag tube also. I had neglected to clean that area on unboxing. Once I flushed it and oiled it I coated 5 410 shells with gun oil and loaded them....let them sit in there for an hour then started working the action. I did this over and over till it started feeding clean.
Yeti575

Post by Yeti575 »

Thank you for the additional information, now anyone have any tips on getting the hammer spring back in place?
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Yeti575 wrote:Thank you for the additional information, now anyone have any tips on getting the hammer spring back in place?
Here are a number of videos on you tube. It makes it much easier watching them than trying to explain in writing. I actually downloaded and keep the series on assembly and disassembly which is dead on for the Rio Grande.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... +Pt1&sm=12
Joe