Working the Wood

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Powhatan

Working the Wood

Post by Powhatan »

Does anyone have experience in fitting the wood on a 92? I have the 24inch barrel with the end cap and the fit of the wood is good on some spots but bad in others. I was thinking about sanding down the high spots and making a better fit.

The fit around the tang is also a bit off..

What is the process and is it something you would recommend? I understand that I would have to refinish the stock afterwards.
Chris Hunter
Rossi 92 357 24inch octagon case hardened.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Working the Wood

Post by akuser47 »

It is a sand and test process you first must identify the problem area of excess material. Then slowly sand a bit and fit until you get it where you like it. Take your time! You can always sand more but cannot put wood back on. Then decide what you wish to use to seal and finish the stock or just the area you worked on. The rear stock to reciever fit is tougher because you have tang channels and may need to open them if your stock does not mate up to rear of reciever very well. Please only take on what you know you can handle.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Powhatan

Re: Working the Wood

Post by Powhatan »

Thanks AK... I am pretty handy with tools and understand about going slowly. Some parts of the stock have a small lip on them and other meet flush.. I will give it a go..
Chris Hunter
Rossi 92 357 24inch octagon case hardened.