92 PITA!!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
olereb

92 PITA!!

Post by olereb »

I got another 92 in 45lc last week and after 2 other Rossi's having no issues I thought I was in the clear until today :evil: . I had taken the rifle apart after I bought it to redo the wood and today when I attempted to put it back together I found out what y'all are talking about regarding the relief cuts in the barrel not being very good. First off the forearm tip screw is trashed after looking at it closely which I haden't when I took it out,second the relief cuts are so small and off center it amazes me anyone could have even got the thing screwed in at all in the first place. Although the screw was stripped and mangled I used it to check the alignment which is how I found how bad the cuts were,luckily a hour in the vice with a file I got the cuts to where it will work once I get a new screw. Tomm morning I will be calling Rossi and putting a large parts order in for my 92's and my 45-70 Rio Grande,although a PITA I still love these darn rifles :D
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 92 PITA!!

Post by joec »

I am having a similar problem with the fore stock band on 454. I remove it easily however I can't get the screw to even line up with the threaded side. I've tried every thing I can think of at this point. I will wind up taking it to a gun smith at this point.
Joe
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

olereb wrote:Tomm morning I will be calling Rossi and putting a large parts order in for my 92's and my 45-70 Rio Grande
Good luck with that. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

With six, oh five (sold one), of the R92s, I just took the Taurus by the horns. A drill bit to the forearm for a larger hole, exacto knife to the longitudinal strip of wood down the length of the forearm, and a round file to the barrel and tube. End of issue.

Also why I don't take any stock in the help videos, websites, CDs; what have you, as not one addresses this. This is the #1 problem with the Rossi R92! They, Rossi, torque the crap out of a new rifle (this is their "hand fitting"), and then make a mess out of the barrel. The leave you at risk in providing the relief. For this and this alone the production of rifles in this series should stop until the rifle is redesigned. I don't know what has been changed from JB design.

As far as Rossi correcting the issue, they will simply torque the hell out of it and return it. No telling how many feed and cycle issues they induce in the process that the owners chase springs to cure.

No telling how many barrels they bend or cant in the process. The steel used in the receiver isn't that strong.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I can see why Steve Young of Steve's Gunz picked Rossi as the "anchor" brand for his gunsmithing/custom shop.
There's a fortune to be made fixing these guns up.
I think Steve & Popeye are silent partners. :lol:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
olereb

Post by olereb »

joec wrote:I am having a similar problem with the fore stock band on 454. I remove it easily however I can't get the screw to even line up with the threaded side. I've tried every thing I can think of at this point. I will wind up taking it to a gun smith at this point.
Are you trying to put the screw back in from the Left side?,i found that on mine it has to go from the Left or it will not work,i tried from the right and it wasn't even close. If you still cant get it to line up from the left try shaping up the relief cuts in the barrel and mag tube,thats what I did last night and it worked good. I just kept shaping a little bit and then trying to fit the band on without the handguard so that I could see where I needed to file and eventually I got it,granted its not for everyone but if you don't mind doing it you can save some money not taking it to a smith that's going to do the same thing.
olereb

Post by olereb »

pricedo wrote:I can see why Steve Young of Steve's Gunz picked Rossi as the "anchor" brand for his gunsmithing/custom shop.
There's a fortune to be made fixing these guns up.
I think Steve & Popeye are silent partners. :lol:

No doubt!!,gunsmithing is just my hobby but I joke with my wife that i'm going to make a business out of it due to these Rossi issues :lol: . I love these rifles but only because I can fix whats wrong,otherwise I wouldn't spend a penny on them due to the extra money spent at a gunsmith getting crap corrected that should be right from the get go.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

olereb wrote:
joec wrote:I am having a similar problem with the fore stock band on 454. I remove it easily however I can't get the screw to even line up with the threaded side. I've tried every thing I can think of at this point. I will wind up taking it to a gun smith at this point.
Are you trying to put the screw back in from the Left side?,i found that on mine it has to go from the Left or it will not work,i tried from the right and it wasn't even close. If you still cant get it to line up from the left try shaping up the relief cuts in the barrel and mag tube,thats what I did last night and it worked good. I just kept shaping a little bit and then trying to fit the band on without the handguard so that I could see where I needed to file and eventually I got it,granted its not for everyone but if you don't mind doing it you can save some money not taking it to a smith that's going to do the same thing.
Yes I'm putting it in from the left side for sure. It seems the band once off warped a bit with the threaded side moving down about the width of the screw.
Joe
olereb

Post by olereb »

joec wrote:
olereb wrote:
Yes I'm putting it in from the left side for sure. It seems the band once off warped a bit with the threaded side moving down about the width of the screw.
That's exactly what mine looked like yesterday when I tried to put it back in and realized that I needed to redo the relief cuts to make it work,it almost seemed like they must have needed to have it in a vice at the factory to squeeze it enough to get the screw to thread in. For what its worth I feel your pain dealing with this issue,i about bent mine around a telephone pole yesterday when I discovered it I was so hot.
4kdave

Post by 4kdave »

Same thing happened to me and I stripped the screw so contacted Rossi and they sent me two. I put the new screw in and put a large amount of pressure on it before trying to turn it and it threaded right in no problem.
Hope this helps and I am sure if you Email Rossi with the problem they will treat you right.

Dave