If I Were King Rossi

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

If I Were King Rossi

Post by Ranch Dog »

• I would not promote products that don't have a reasonable time line of reaching production.
  • I'd cut a deal with Birchwood Casey and all the wood would be finished with that product.
  • R92:
  • Steve's Gunz modifications would be incorporated in production. Improved springs, mag follower, plus the parts he cuts down.
  • The top safety would be gone.
  • The saddle ring attachment point would change from the metal loop to a proper brass lug. The rig would pivot in the vertical, instead of the horizontal.
  • The rifle would be offered in the traditional '92 cartridges:
    • 218 Bee,
    • 25-20 Win,
    • 32-20 Win,
    • 32-40 Win,
    • 44-40 Win,
    • 45 Colt,
  • As well as the modern cartridges, both current and previously offered:
    • 38 Spl/357 Mag,
    • 44 Spl/44 Mag,
    • 454 Casull, and
    • 480 Ruger.
  • Rio Grande:
  • The cross-bolt safety would be gone!
  • Would be also chambered in:
    • 32 Win Spl,
    • 38-55 Win.
What would you do?
Michael
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: If I Were King Rossi

Post by Barry in IN »

I'll play! I love these types of things.

I'm with you on most of it.

I have never handled a Rio Grande, so have no comment. Although...the shop did have one last week and I am in a trading mood.

On the 92:

I don't have any complaint about the saddle ring. I like it being close to how the original Winchesters were.
Well, I have one complaint. I wish it came with a short piece of (real) leather on it, just to cushion it from scratching. But not so long as to get caught in the lever. I hate that.

I'd like to see the Stevez Gunz mod as an option. Leave the (cheaper) regular ones in the line, and add a "premium" line already Steved up. If they were all slicked up I have a feeling they would price themselves out of the market, so keep making plenty like they have been for the average guy who doesn't care (or won't pay).

I think we may be stuck with a safety of some sort (import laws?). If so, I'd like to see it easily disengaged or removed. Maybe a replacement plug in the box.

Agree on calibers. I'd like to have a .38-40 and a .32-20.
Might as well add the .41 Mag.
A .256 Win chambering might be fun.
I don't think the 92 was ever chambered in .32-40. A bit long for it. EDIT: Now I see- I think you meant to type .38-40 instead of .32-40.

I'd like to see some pistol grip/flat buttplate models like the Win 65. I always liked the curved grip Marlins a little better. I know I'm in the minority on that one.

Metal follower.

Ranch Hand:

I'd rather the barrel was a little shorter. I know they made it to accept six rounds without extra trouble, but I'd take five rounds to get a barrel of about 10". I think it would handle better.

I think a curved grip and lever would be very much appreciated on these. I'd do that before anything else.

Same leather thong change as on my 92 list.
And the follower.

My front sight needs to be taller and I hear that everywhere. Let's change that.

And make the front sight's bead smaller too. Or the rear notch larger.

Some model:
I have zero interest in a .500 S&W revolver, but think it might be neat in a lever action. I don't think would fit in a 92 (it's a long case) so I didn't list it there. If it would, that would be nice. Otherwise, stick it in the RG.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

If I were King Rossi I would faithfully copy the John Browning model 92 design unless I professed to be a better designer than old JMB was and if that's the case it's a pretty big pair of britches I'd be trying on.
I'd make the changes necessary to take advantage of modern materials and processes like CNC and to accommodate straight walled cartridges but there would be no smug, backroom-liberal, anti-gun lawyer getting in a blind side, sucker shot by putting an unnecessary "donkey tail" safety on the gun to slight a group he/she clandestinely despises & hates (and that is exactly what IT is so why not come out and SAY IT). :twisted: .
Funny that Chiappa & Pedersoli don't NEED safeties on their guns. :evil:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I agree if I were king.
I would set up grade levels of options option one grade one what we have now
Grade 2 slight better on finish and function like steel follower and a better finish but nothing elite.
grade 3 all enternals completetly smooth and slicked up not as a race gun but just for butter smooth shootin, steel follower, and a really high grade wood and polished to a mirror gloss.
Prices would be different per options in the grade you choose.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
twobitokie
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by twobitokie »

I will be a contrarian, RG in 45-70, 26 " barrel, round or octagonal, full length mag tube, blue, straight grip. drilled and tapped, no scope base mounted.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

akuser47 wrote:I agree if I were king.
I would set up grade levels of options option one grade one what we have now
Grade 2 slight better on finish and function like steel follower and a better finish but nothing elite.
grade 3 all enternals completetly smooth and slicked up not as a race gun but just for butter smooth shootin, steel follower, and a really high grade wood and polished to a mirror gloss.
Prices would be different per options in the grade you choose.
Your wish for a hierarchy of Rossi 92 customization is partially true now.
I don't know for certain but I'd expect that Steve's Gunz being a gunshop would sell you a Rossi 92 with his slick-up kit already installed or incorporating whatever customization you requested.
Steve has some beautiful looking custom Rossi 92s illustrated on his website.
I don't know how long his waiting lists are but judging from the Rossi 92 "eye candy" posted on his website I'd expect it would be long.
If I wanted a customized Rossi 92 I'd contact Steve as to what is available & the cost & turn around time.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Warhawk »

RG in .444 Marlin
twobitokie
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by twobitokie »

26", full lenght mag tube, RG in 45-70, straight stock no pistol grip. drilled and tapped for tang sight.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

twobitokie wrote:26", full lenght mag tube, RG in 45-70, straight stock no pistol grip. drilled and tapped for tang sight.
AND all that with an octagon barrel!

Sent from my Alaska Communications Android using Tapatalk
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Rossi Model 1886/71 in .348 Win (the original Win M71 proprietary caliber), .444 Marlin & .45-70.
Like the Pedersoli (not encumbered with a bunch of lawyer safety junk) but different in a very important way from the Italian imports..........CHEAPER !
I'd like mine in .45-70 with a 20" barrel.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA