Softening up the extractor?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
calan

Softening up the extractor?

Post by calan »

I don't have Steve's video (sorry...but I'm not paying $19 or whatever for shipping on a DVD + the cost of the video), but can someone tell me how much material is typically removed from the underside of the extractor, and where? I have a pretty good idea, but welcome any input from someone who has done it.

I've got everything else just about where I want it and the action is butter smooth, except for the extractor sliding over the case rim. It's stiff and still eating into the brass a bit even after a light de-burring.
Last edited by calan on 24 Oct 2013 15:55, edited 2 times in total.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Softening up the ejector?

Post by joec »

about 2 loops though I chose not to cut mine and picked up a set of Gunslinger springs from Brownells with the same results.
Joe
calan

Post by calan »

I've worked all the springs; the launching-brass-into-orbit ejector is no longer a problem. I want to lighten the extractor's force as it grips the case.

(I fixed my original post. ;))
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Softening up the extractor?

Post by akuser47 »

I cannot work paint to save my life so I will try to descibe it you need to releave some of the metal on the bottom edges to reduce the bite it has none of the bearing surfaces or length or claw to be touched just a bit on each side of the bottom until you like it were it is. take your time a little at a time till you are sure.
Keep it cool as to not temper it.
Last edited by akuser47 on 24 Oct 2013 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Johnz

Re: Softening up the extractor?

Post by Johnz »

My blued .357 20" was doing the same thing. Upon initial disassembly for cleaning, I removed the extractor claw and ever so lightly stoned the slightly curved edge, with a fine stone, to where it no longer behaves like a broaching machine. It will still burnish the edge of the rim, but won't remove metal like it did before.