Savage 10 FCM Scout

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Savage 10 FCM Scout

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well I did it. Second bolt gun I have bought since 1978, Savage 10 FCM Scout chambered in 7.62X39. The little cartridge has caused me a great bit of interest of late so...
10FCM_01.jpg
Anybody on the forum shooting a Baikal IZH18MN (Remington), CZ527, Ruger #1, or Ruger 77 Hawkeye Compact chambered in this cartridge?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Savage 10 FCM Scout

Post by akuser47 »

I want one just not willing to pay what they all go for these days maybe I will find a deal. I like the scouts by savage if I remeber correctly though savage uses .308 barrels which is fine if you roll your own cause you can use .308 bullets in your 7.62x39 brass. to find the sweet shooting bullet for her. the deminsions for 7.62x39 are at 311 compared to .308 so standard combloc steel ammo can have unpredictable accuracy. only depends on the barrel. Like I said Make sure. keep us posted. most american made 7.62x39 rifles have .308 barrels cz 527 is one of the few that has 311 bd
I'm not sure what the zatava m85 barrel bore diameter is. You prob already know this just dropping the info as I have looking into these and many others for a long while. I like the idea of .308 Bore diameter leaves it open to alot of options. looks like you have some Fun ahead in testing and setting her up. Great looking rifle. your results may push me to get one. What are gonna put on her?
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

akuser47 wrote:I want one just not willing to pay what they all go for these days maybe I will find a deal. I like the scouts by savage if I remeber correctly though savage uses .308 barrels which is fine if you roll your own cause you can use .308 bullets in your 7.62x39 brass. to find the sweet shooting bullet for her. the deminsions for 7.62x39 are at 311 compared to .308 so standard combloc steel ammo can have unpredictable accuracy. only depends on the barrel. Like I said Make sure. keep us posted. most american made 7.62x39 rifles have .308 barrels cz 527 is one of the few that has 311 bd
I'm not sure what the zatava m85 barrel bore diameter is. You prob already know this just dropping the info as I have looking into these and many others for a long while. I like the idea of .308 Bore diameter leaves it open to alot of options. looks like you have some Fun ahead in testing and setting her up. Great looking rifle. your results may push me to get one. What are gonna put on her?
Thanks for the info. Yeah, chose the Savage based on it's .308 bore. Asked about the other rifles as I want to obtain chamber casts from them for a 7.62X39 bullet of my design as I don't consider either of the Lee designs appropriate for the cartridge especially as a hunting bullet. I have the preliminary design ready, a TLC313-125-RF.

It has a bore rider nose which will allow it to be used as cast at .313" for .311" applications or sized as small as .309". Tangent ogive for down range considerations and a flat meplat for killing authority. I've done all my usual projections and it looks like a good bullet but I would like to see some chamber samples from other firearms.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Oh, what I have determined from Ruger is that both the Mini 30 and Hawkeye have a .311 groove. I have a friend with the 30, as soon as I clean it up I can get a chamber cast of it. Not to worried about AKs as I really don't think those fellows are into reloading or casting for those rifles with the cheap (relative term nowadays) ammo available. You would know more about this probably than I. I do know that owners of these other rifles, from google searches, seem to be reloaders (some casters) who are looking for better components.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Savage rifles are alotta gun for the money.
The ones with the Accutrigger & Accustock like I own are amazingly accurate.
I own Savage SS 116s in 30-06 & 375 Ruger Magnum & a Savage 110 in 308 Win.
I have Leupold "Rifleman" 3-9x40mm & Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x 42mm glass perched on 2 of them and a Minox (Leica's budget line) 2-10x40mm perched on the model 110.
The Savage 110 prints 3 shot ragged holes @ 100 yards with the Federal factory ammo shooting Barnes 165 grain TSX bullets.
They don't get much field time.........only got 2 hands and can't carry em all. :cry:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I like that bullet design I hope it performs well. I cannot wait to see your resluts +corn
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

akuser47 wrote:I like that bullet design I hope it performs well. I cannot wait to see your resluts +corn
I will keep you posted, the bullet will be a long time coming given the delays at Lee Precision. In the meantime, I will be using my TLC311-165-RF.
Michael
Chris

Post by Chris »

One of my friends has one he has hunted with for quite some time chambered in 308.

Why would you choose the Russian round over a 308? Also why do you prefer a scout scope on an arm that could mount a scope with closer eye relief and a larger field of view?

I am curious.

Have fun with it! :mrgreen:
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Chris wrote:One of my friends has one he has hunted with for quite some time chambered in 308.

Why would you choose the Russian round over a 308? Also why do you prefer a scout scope on an arm that could mount a scope with closer eye relief and a larger field of view?

I am curious.

the savage scouts I have looked at in hand have the standard DT for a standard scope base as well. so it is out of the box versatile. The rear sigth is in the rear holes the front standard scope base mount holes are used by the rear of the scout base. 4 holes total if I remeber correctly.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Chris wrote:One of my friends has one he has hunted with for quite some time chambered in 308.

I am curious.

Just not interested in the 308 Win. If that was all that was offered, I would not have purchased the rifle. I am interested in working the 7.62X39 and this was the rifle chambered in it. I would have preferred it chambered in their Hog Hunter but it wasn't, that would have saved me $200. If the Hog Hunter was offered in 300 Savage or 35 Remington, I would have bought that rifle.

With five R92 setup as scout rifles, I definitely have come to favor this scope setup over traditional scopes so that side of the cost was a benefit.
Michael