Should the bolt have, like lips and burrs on it? !!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
kokopelli

Should the bolt have, like lips and burrs on it? !!

Post by kokopelli »

wow. again.

Hey guys, me again- http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1219

I ended up just getting disgusted with this %@*&$, threw all the parts in a box and put it aside. I had plenty of other projects to work on, the kids going back to school, DVR'd shows to watch...anyway, yesterday i figured I'd put 'Ole Humpty Crappy back together again. I had ordered the lighter spring kit from Brownell's and Steve's metal tube plug and safety plug, and they were in the box waiting on me too. On a positive note, I can't say enough about the replacement springs- they seem to be night and day difference over the Rossi garbage.

I decided to polish the 'engine turned' bolt sides :mrgreen: not really, of course, but horrible machining marks on each side and in doing so and inspecting the bolt, I found a couple lips (?) or burrs I'm not sure should be there. On the bolt face, where the curves are on either side where the bolt rides up to the sides of the chamber- inside the receiver- does that make sense-? -on the left side there is a 'lip' where the 'curve' just continues out for about 1/32" or so...

I know that's probably hard to visualize- I'm going to get a picture up tomorrow. In the meantime, does anyone have a picture of a Rossi bolt face that looks correct? I google-fu'd and could only find pics of every other 92 than a Rossi....

+corn

oh yeah- the inside of the receiver channels where the locking lugs ride look like a tree trunk after a beaver took it down...
picketpin

Re: Should the bolt have, like lips and burrs on it? !!

Post by picketpin »

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=543

Good bolt pictures about halfway through the first post.
James
kokopelli

Post by kokopelli »

sorry for the delay- here's what I'm working with:

see the lip/burr?

check out the firing pin tunnel:

heavy machine marks:

bolt face

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Wow! If I've ever seen one that needed to be returned...
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

That is the worst I have seen for sure. Keep us posted to your results.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
kokopelli

Post by kokopelli »

If I had a time machine I'd go back to the day I unboxed this abomination and sent it straight back to Braztech with a nasty letter. At this point, though I think I'll just press on and fix it myself. Interestingly, all the parts except the hammer all have a matching number stamped into them '2049. It's on the bolt, the lower tang, the lever and the upper tang on the receiver. You'd think that if they put that much effort into mating parts they would at least look them over before assembly!

I am going to send them an email, though with the pictures and see what they say. I know I've already voided the 'warranty' by refinishing the stock... :roll:
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Disgraceful lack of QC !..........but not as uncommon as it should be. :twisted:

Same ole....same ole. :(
The Rossi Roulette Wheel: round & round she goes ..... where she stops nobody knows.
If you buy em sight unseen you're spinning the Rossi Roulette Wheel.

After a little on-line shopping I walked into a gun shop this spring where they purportedly had a Rio Grande in 45-70 for sale prepared with my Rossi Regimen Kit (hand held magnifying glass, 45-70 "snap-cap" dummy ammo, flash/bore light, 45 cal bore snake, cleaning rod).
I asked the sales clerk if he could pull the gun down off the rack so I could check it over and run a few snap-caps through it to see if it would cycle).
The reply was, "sorry sir I can do that, you can't open the box in the store".
I said, "don't bother taking it down then if I can't inspect it".
He sputters, "but sir, it's a store safety policy".
I replied (on the way toward the door), "I wouldn't want to violate your store policy so I'll buy a Rio Grande someplace else".
I won't buy a Rossi in a poke (maybe a Sako or a Browning but NOT a Rossi)........it's a lesson learned long ago where experience was indeed a dear teacher. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
kokopelli

Post by kokopelli »

can't open the box in the store?
B.S.

Then how do they check the serial number on the rifle for the 4473?
Johnz

Post by Johnz »

Man, that's horrible. I was just checking mine to see if it looks similar & much to my surprise it isn't all chopped up like yours. Plenty of machine burrs on the rest of the bolt though, like your pics show.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Where oh where is that mysterious Rossi QC guy?????

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Wow! If I've ever seen one that needed to be returned...
+1
Even the most cursory Quality Control (QC) inspection would have caught this lemon before it left the factory.
Indicative that even rudimentary Quality Control is absent in that Brazil factory. :x
Where did I see that mysterious Rossi QC guy lately?...........Oh Yah !..........in the mirror when I was shaving this AM. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA