Winchester 1982 Late Model

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Winchester 1982 Late Model

Post by ironhead7544 »

Just picked one of these up in 357 Magnum. 16 inch with big loop.

Looks good. Parts are nice with good wood and fitting. Carbine sight with ladder. Saddle ring. Marked "357 Magnum Only."

Anyone have any experience with this one? Made in Japan.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Winchester 1982 Late Model

Post by Ranch Dog »

No pictures but... where are the pictures :?:
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

ironhead7544 wrote:Just picked one of these up in 357 Magnum. 16 inch with big loop.

Looks good. Parts are nice with good wood and fitting. Carbine sight with ladder. Saddle ring. Marked "357 Magnum Only."

Anyone have any experience with this one? Made in Japan.
I'm assuming you mean a Winchester 1892 made by Miroku of Japan after the 2006 New Haven, Connecticut factory closure.
I don't have a new Winchester 1892 but I do have the late model Winchester 1894 Trails End take-down model in 450 Marlin caliber.
These Japanese made rifles are of high quality with excellent bluing & w/m fitting and are quite expensive.......over $1000 new.
Miroku is the same company that makes the Browning BLR and the new Winchester clones are made to the same high standard.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
When did the japs start making the "New Winchesters" ? Found it..1992.
Well no matter. Have two of the 45-70's and they are well made . Have actual .458 bores.. none of that silly .460+ and "fat throated" that was so common.
Should serve you well for the years to come...
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

While I may not care to see "made in japan" on the side of a rifle I do have to admit the Miroku stuff seems to be very well made. I've shot a BLR in some magnum caliber that a guy handed to me and the first thing I noticed was it seemed to ooze quality. The second thing I noticed is I'm spoiled by shooting BAR's and that BLR's recoil like a mule kick.
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

My only experience with the new winchesters has been an 1885 single shot. This one was made in 2009 and the quality is very good, both in terms of looks and accuracy.

I have a pair of 1990's Miroku made WInchester Model 52B re-issue Sporters and they are also very well made as well as quite accurate.

Some folks look down on them and refer to Miroku made Winchesters as "Japchesters", but the reality is that Miroku makes very nice rifles and the quality is far better than what big W was turning out here before they finally shut down.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Maximumbob54 wrote:While I may not care to see "made in japan" on the side of a rifle I do have to admit the Miroku stuff seems to be very well made. I've shot a BLR in some magnum caliber that a guy handed to me and the first thing I noticed was it seemed to ooze quality. The second thing I noticed is I'm spoiled by shooting BAR's and that BLR's recoil like a mule kick.
I own 2 x BLRs (308 Win & 450 Marlin) + 1 x BAR (300 Win Mag) + 1 x Miroku Winchester 94 (450 Marlin) and you're right ...........they definitely ooze quality.:mrgreen:
The 2 x BLRs & the Win 94 are all takedown models. :D
I would buy a modern Browning or Winchester sight unseen whereas I won't buy a Rossi (I only buy pre-safety, pre-Braztech Rossi rifles, I have absolutely NO interest in the post Taurus takeover Rossi Winchester 92 clones) or a Remlin without a thorough pre-purchase hands-on inspection.
The modern BLRs and the Win 94 are made by Miroku of Japan.
The modern BARs are made by FN in Belgium and assembled in Portugal and are beautiful firearms.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Model 52 wrote: Some folks look down on them and refer to Miroku made Winchesters as "Japchesters", but the reality is that Miroku makes very nice rifles and the quality is far better than what big W was turning out here before they finally shut down.
Quality had slipped to an abysmal level just before the 2006 closure.
Saw a couple of the late manufactured 94s and the fitting & workmanship was shoddy & they were cluttered with non-JMB lawyer safety junk.
Winchester never recovered from the post 1964 fiasco.......they got arrogant and took their customers & market share for granted & stopped listening to customers and eventually paid the price.

I have 2 x pre-64 94s. 1 x post-64 94 and 1 x post-2010 94..........representations from all 3 eras of Winchesters.
Of the three I prefer my pre-64s for accuracy & simplicity (no lawyer safety junk). The post-2010 Miroku models are well made even though Winchester is still showing the same disdain & contempt for customers that resulted in its demise despite the fact that the company is just a wholly owned rump of its former self.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA