Question for Ranch Dog about loading the new 30-30 bullet

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Centaur 1
Founding Member
Founding Member

Question for Ranch Dog about loading the new 30-30 bullet

Post by Centaur 1 »

Hey Michael, after getting your e-mail last week I'm really starting to look forward to getting the new 30-30 mold. I had planned on buying the previous design, but missed buying one before it was too late. After looking at the latest design revision I guess it worked out for the better. Up until now I've only had marginal success casting rifle bullets, but every year I'm getting better at casting and I'm trying to learn the small idiosyncrasies that will allow me to start shooting decent rifle groups. I own a Marlin 336SS and I gave up trying to make it shoot lead. I have so much fun making and shooting cast bullets in all of my handguns, that I started looking for a rifle to shoot cast bullets. I've heard you say how well your bullet shoots from your Dad's Win94, but I'm not a huge fan of the Winnie. Then you started this website and within 2 months of me joining, I bought my Rossi Rio Grande. It was tougher to smooth the action than what I had to do with my Marlin. But you and the others helped me with the process which was basically the same as with a Marlin, just a lot more labor intensive. To finish the rifle I picked up a very gently used Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5x32mm scope from a friend. :D The whole process has taken me over a year to get where I am today, and hopefully I'll have the new mold in another 6-8 weeks. Since this is about the fourth version of the Ranch Dog 30-30 boolit, is there any information that you can share with us about this bullet? Is BL-C(2) still your go to powder, and with powder hard to find, is there another powder that's worked well for you. Also, does QuickLoad have any information about Hodgdon Leverevolution powder, and if so could you include it when you work up the loading data? It looks like the design has been tweaked and I can't wait to shoot it. Thanks again for doing this group buy, I really appreciate you taking the time to do all the work you do, thank You!
"We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Question for Ranch Dog about loading the new 30-30 bulle

Post by Ranch Dog »

Centaur 1 wrote:Hey Michael, after getting your e-mail last week I'm really starting to look forward to getting the new 30-30 mold. I had planned on buying the previous design, but missed buying one before it was too late. After looking at the latest design revision I guess it worked out for the better. Up until now I've only had marginal success casting rifle bullets, but every year I'm getting better at casting and I'm trying to learn the small idiosyncrasies that will allow me to start shooting decent rifle groups. I own a Marlin 336SS and I gave up trying to make it shoot lead. I have so much fun making and shooting cast bullets in all of my handguns, that I started looking for a rifle to shoot cast bullets. I've heard you say how well your bullet shoots from your Dad's Win94, but I'm not a huge fan of the Winnie.
I'm not sure why you had issue with your 336SS. If something isn't working, you need to draw down on the basics. At the minimum, you need to slug the bore to see what exactly the rifle's bore requirement is. Look at the quality of your alloy. There is a lot of impurities in wheel weights now. If accuracy is poor, something is failing. When I have issue, I ALWAYS suspect the alloy. It is easy to cast blame on a firearm or bullet design or anything else that is not in your control, but the bottom line is that in everything related to bullet casting, alloy is everything.
Since this is about the fourth version of the Ranch Dog 30-30 boolit, is there any information that you can share with us about this bullet?
The bullet molds being cut are actually the only the only revision to the original. The new design features a bore-rider nose that will allow a greater OAL with SAAMI cut chambers. The original design had a full ogive to the front band to help with the huge throat cut into the 1950s designed 336.
Is BL-C(2) still your go to powder, and with powder hard to find, is there another powder that's worked well for you. Also, does QuickLoad have any information about Hodgdon Leverevolution powder, and if so could you include it when you work up the loading data?
Without a doubt BL-C(2) is my go to powder for a cast bullet. You need to understand that I don't "mouse" around with my bullets. I expect jacketed bullet performance. If I not going to get that, well, I will shoot the jacketed bullet. I'm not interested in "plinking" or pushing lead out the barrel just to push lead. The only way that I can fulfill jacketed bullet performance expectation is through a quality alloy. You have to pour something that is not going to fail.

I plan on shooting H-LVR in my pressure testing. I was set up to go two weeks ago but with the first shots I realized I had a bad bond between barrel and strain gage. Bummer, in both time and money ($30). I just got back from a week on Long Island, had a daughter get married up there, and my plans are to shoot that powder this week.
It looks like the design has been tweaked and I can't wait to shoot it. Thanks again for doing this group buy, I really appreciate you taking the time to do all the work you do, thank You!
Thanks!
Michael
Centaur 1
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Centaur 1 »

I have no doubts that my 336SS will shoot cast bullets really good, the barrel slugs right at .308". I know that it's a combination of imperfect bullets and the fact that the gun shoots jacketed bullets like a bolt action target rifle. I'm totally happy with using the Marlin with my handloaded Leverevolution ammo and using the Rossi with cast. I'm getting better at casting bullets, but these rifles are way less friendly than my .45 or .38. Typically with a 5 shot group I'll get a 3 hole group and 2 fliers. I'm pretty sure my problem is with the base of the bullets, I have to work on my casting technique. In the beginning I lobbed bullets with Trail Boss, but it gets boring pretty quick. I have several .22's for plinking, like you my 30-30's are for shooting full power loads.

When I went to your website I saw four different .30 caliber bullets, that's what I was referring to when I said fourth revision. One is for the .308 ME, but the other three are 30-30 bullets. The newest design is similar design to the one with standard lube grooves, but the new one is shorter with a wider meplat with a larger radius on the front edge. I assume the larger width is to compensate for the radius. Looking at the tip to crimp groove dimension I think the COAL will be close to minimum, that combined with the corner radius should help feeding reliability.

I'm really looking forward to trying this bullet, I hate spending over $30 for 100 jacketed bullets.
"We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)
Centaur 1
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Centaur 1 »

I almost forgot, congratulations are in order. I hope your daughter has a long wonderful life with her new husband, and hopefully you like your new son-in-law as much as I like my daughters husband. Tomorrow is mine and my wife's 30th anniversary and our kids came home this past weekend to celebrate with us.
sawzall

Post by sawzall »

Nothing useful to contribute but I was wondering where the details are on this group buy? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
Centaur 1
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Centaur 1 »

This group buy maxed out the same day it was announced, I almost missed it myself. It's more expensive, but SwedeNelson is running a group buy for a similar mold.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... 1-165Gr-RF