Range Report on '92 in .44 Mag !

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
wll

Range Report on '92 in .44 Mag !

Post by wll »

Shot the 16 Inch Rossi 92 with Fiocchi 240gr SP's .... they were rockets and had some serious thump, not a real pleasant load for sure, average velocity with those 240gr bullets was at about 1730fps.

The would put the major hurt on something for sure.

Than I shot some of my old reloads, 265 gr (I believe, have to pull bullet) WFP with 20gr of Lil Gun. This load also came out of the gun at 1700fps+ but the recoil was much less sharp !

The problem I have is the Fiocchi get caught up when loading from a tube, the 265gr leads cycle like a champ ! I think the problem is the Fiocchi are not crimped deep enough in the cannelure like my handloads and the rim gets hung up entering the barrel. I can just roll crimp the Fiocchi a bit and I think the problem will go away.

This is one heck of a little powerhouse rifle, The pills get out their quick !

wll
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Range Report on '92 in .44 Mag !

Post by pricedo »

That load sounds like a flesh & bone mangler regardless of what end of the gun you are on.
Get a cushioned leather cover on that gun and make it prettier & friendlier.
My Rossi M92/454 with just the factory recoil pad used to be pretty sassy with full power loads till I prettied her up with a leather butt cover with some foam stuffed in the butt end between the factory recoil pad and the leather of the cover.
Shoulder felt recoil wasn't a problem..........the hard wood stock used to punch me pretty hard in the cheek bone until I cushioned it with the soft leather of the cover. Image
I found the 265 grain Hornady SPs worked good in my Rossi M92/44 Mag trapper (16" bbl) & fed/cycled very well with no hang-ups.
Accuracy was good........1 1/2" 3-shot groups @ 50 yards over iron sights.
Bullets with round gently sloped meplats feed & cycle better in these 92s than the angular truncated type.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

wll wrote:Shot the 16 Inch Rossi 92 with Fiocchi 240gr SP's .... they were rockets and had some serious thump, not a real pleasant load for sure, average velocity with those 240gr bullets was at about 1730fps.

Than I shot some of my old reloads, 265 gr (I believe, have to pull bullet) WFP with 20gr of Lil Gun. This load also came out of the gun at 1700fps+ but the recoil was much less sharp !

The problem I have is the Fiocchi get caught up when loading from a tube, the 265gr leads cycle like a champ ! I think the problem is the Fiocchi are not crimped deep enough in the cannelure like my handloads and the rim gets hung up entering the barrel. I can just roll crimp the Fiocchi a bit and I think the problem will go away.

wll
These little Rossi 92 trappers are fantastic rifles.
My 92/44 Mag is light, slick cycling, smooth feeding, reliable, accurate after doing my due diligence Rossi Regimen tune-up on it.
That rifle of yours will make a great pic framed in the antlers of your big buck this fall. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
wll

Post by wll »

pricedo wrote:
wll wrote:Shot the 16 Inch Rossi 92 with Fiocchi 240gr SP's .... they were rockets and had some serious thump, not a real pleasant load for sure, average velocity with those 240gr bullets was at about 1730fps.

wll
These little Rossi 92 trappers are fantastic rifles.
My 92/44 Mag is light, slick cycling, smooth feeding, reliable, accurate after doing my due diligence Rossi Regimen tune-up on it.
That rifle of yours will make a great pic framed in the antlers of your big buck this fall. :mrgreen:
Thank you for the kind words !

Yes, the little Rossi with a 16 inch tube is an awesome gun, very light and quick, and in a pistol cartridge you loose very little velocity between the 16 and 20 inch tubes !

That little gun is much badder than it looks for sure.

wll
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

My little 454 gets real "lively" when you touch her off :shock: . There is a LOT of power in a light package in these little Rossi Trappers :twisted: . DP
wll

Post by wll »

dpe.ahoy wrote:My little 454 gets real "lively" when you touch her off :shock: . There is a LOT of power in a light package in these little Rossi Trappers :twisted: . DP
A 454 in a Rossi 92 would be a handful for sure !

wll
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

wll wrote:A 454 in a Rossi 92 would be a handful for sure !
I shoot my 44 Mag at max pressure and my 45 Colt at 35.0K PSI, they kick like a mule. The felt recoil is a product of their butt stock. Pretty in a classical sense but poor in performance. The 454 Casull (and 480 Ruger) is not cursed with the same stock, rather than a curved plate it has a straight cut with a very good recoil pad. Those two features make all the difference in the world. For me, the felt recoil of the 454 and 480 is nowhere close to the 44 Mag or 45 Colt. If Rossi ever "un-restricts" the 454 Casull butt stock, even my 357 carbine will wear one.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

The legacy steel rifle butts are fine for the smaller handgun cartridges with little or no noticeable recoil like the 357Mag/44Mag/45LC.
The full power 44Mag round can be a handful fired from my S&W model 29 but I find that even with maximum loads the 44Mag cartridge recoil is barely noticeable when fired from my 5 pound Rossi 92/44Mag trapper long gun.
My wife (126 pounds last medical) can hammer a 50 round box of max load 44Mag rounds down range out of my Rossi 92/44Mag trapper in an afternoon and look sad & disappointed when the ammo runs out.
She'll look up at me and lament "Heck, I was just getting started!"
When you get into the 454 Casull and 45-70 GVT calibers then the recoil pads in my opinion come into their own & justify their existence.
I put a leather butt cover on over the factory recoil pad of my Rossi 92/454. The leather cover protects my cheek from the recoil side impact (slap) of the hard wood stock which I find more problematic than the shoulder impact.
In fact I have leather butt covers on all my Winchester/clone leverguns but in the smaller calibers (357Mag, 44Mag) the covers are more for looks, carrying spare ammo and to protect the butt stock wood from scratches & dings than recoil attenuation.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
wll

Post by wll »

Ranch Dog wrote:
wll wrote:A 454 in a Rossi 92 would be a handful for sure !
I shoot my 44 Mag at max pressure and my 45 Colt at 35.0K PSI, they kick like a mule. The felt recoil is a product of their butt stock. Pretty in a classical sense but poor in performance. The 454 Casull (and 480 Ruger) is not cursed with the same stock, rather than a curved plate it has a straight cut with a very good recoil pad. Those two features make all the difference in the world. For me, the felt recoil of the 454 and 480 is nowhere close to the 44 Mag or 45 Colt. If Rossi ever "un-restricts" the 454 Casull butt stock, even my 357 carbine will wear one.
These factory Fiocchi 240 SP loads are hot, primers are flat, but not over the primer hole. These loads would put the hurt on dear size game and depending the construction of the Fiocchi bullet maybe hog.

I'm trying to find my bullet puller today and see how much the large WFP leads I tested weigh, I think they are 265gr. Those going out at 1700fps+ are some serious medicine and were milder to shoot, those 265gr flying plates could be my hunting bullets of choice for hog and the Fiocchi for occasional what ever else I do ...... I have LOTS of Fiocchi 240gr SP's BTW

Yes, IMHO that little rifle gives you a boot, and I may put on a slip cover to tame the felt recoil down.

Got to tell ya, I love this little gun :D :D

wll
wll

Post by wll »

wll
Well it turns out the lead bullets are 280gr WFN, but I have yet to find the box I got them from !

They were made many years ago by Penny Cast Bullets, he was a local out here in Southern CA. and he made some great bullets for sure.

Here is a pic:

Image I have searched every mold company I could think of and cant find the mold, I may be fooled in that I may have seated them just above the first grease groove, not sure. As you can see it has two large grease grooves and then a smaller on on top of that, there looks like a seating groove, but like I said, I may have done that !

But what a nice boolit, has the weight, yet not overly heavy so velocity can be kept up for trajectory reasons.

wll