Tru-Oil on Rio Grande RG4570B

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tru-Oil on Rio Grande RG4570B

Post by Ranch Dog »

Started with this, the stock on the left...

Ended up with this...

Here are my steps.
  • Buffed it with 0000 steel wool. The finish was smooth as glass at this point.
  • Applied a single uncut coat of B&C Walnut Stain with a foam brush. I consider this a conditional item. I take and wet my finger and wipe it with the grain of the stock. This will tell you what the final finish will look like. This rifle had a very light finish so I applied one uncut stain coat and let it dry 24 hours.
  • Applied Tru-Oil Filler & Sealer with a foam brush and let cure 24 hours.
  • Buffed the stock again with 0000 steel wool and applied a coat of Tru-Oil. I did this a total of four times letting each coat cure 24 hours.
  • Applied and buffed the stock with B&C Sheen and Conditioner.
  • Applied and buffed the stock with B&C Stock Wax.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Tru-Oil on Rio Grande RG4570B

Post by pricedo »

Great job and great looking stock but too much like the bad "w-word" (work) for me.
There are no fashion statements where my guns get used and after a coupla weeks of being pulled, bounced, drowned, dragged & dropped through the brambles, tag alders, cedar swamps, rock cuts, canoe bottoms and the rain and muck on a typical moose hunt they all look the same whether it took 15 minutes or a week to finish the stock.
Despite my age I'm usually the "dog" on our moose hunts pushing the animals out of their daytime hiding spots into the guys in the stands and ground blinds. I'm a pretty decent navigator and can navigate the thick stuff without getting lost. We leave the young-uns with the sharp ears, eyes & reflexes, the "shooters", in the stationary stands & blinds.
The guns I use take a lot of punishment and a lengthy finishing regimen would be getting repeated a lot so I stick to fast, simple, slop-it-on processes with view to protecting & preserving the wood.
My guns (the ones I use a lot) are attractive in a utilitarian, spartan sort of way but nowhere near as pretty as yours.......they're way too "busy" for a lot of primping & polishing.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Tru-Oil on Rio Grande RG4570B

Post by akuser47 »

Looks great I enjoy these finishes.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!