First post and first Rossi Lever

Tell us a bit about yourself!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: First post and first Rossi Lever

Post by akuser47 »

Nice holster and custom grips
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice belt, holster, and scabbard Joe!
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Thanks guys and Cliff does some really beautiful leather work not to mention his knives too. As for the grip it is the my first attempt at making one from a kit. It took a bit of time but turned out well I think. The kits are available from www.gripmaker.com.
Joe
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

joec wrote:Another cowboy action shooter I see. I'm shooting with a NCOWS group in Shelbyville when I get a chance. I'm with you though on buying a different caliber than a side arm as I started with the Colt 45 so stuck with it hence the 45 R92 or M92 as it is actually designated by Rossi. Here is a shot of my rig with one of my 3 45 Colt 1873 models by Uberti/Cimarron. The holster is made by Cliff Fendley who shoots with my group as well as makes knives. He made me this setup with another holster for the 4.75" and 5.5" barrel 45 Colt but he picture of is my 7.5" barrel model. The holster is period correct for the 1880's with a pattern by F.A. Meanea called a Cheyenne which is really a Mexican double loop style. I've shot everything in my Rossi 92 from black powder to 300 gr black bear loads. I done about the same with my Rio Grande 45-70 also though the largest there so far has been 535 gr WFN. If and when you get into reloading give me a holler as I would be more than glad to assist you getting started.
Rig1_md.jpg
Thank you joec.
That is a nice rig.
Love those grips to.
I love uberti revolvers, I have a collection of their BP revolvers.
I do my own leather work to.
I made these saddlebags a few winters back.
I make hunting bags, this one is from a Bobcat hide.
I made these two for a friend of mine down in Mississippi.
He and his Grandson went hunting together and they took a Bobcat, he sent it to me, I cut it up and made he and his grandson each a hunting bag from it.
Im getting arthritis in my hands and find it hard to do leather work anymore.

Here is one from a Fox.
I wrapped the knife sheath in leftover hide, and used a Deer leg bone for the handle.
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Welcome from SW GA. 357 Magnum is a good choice for the M92. I have had several. Nice finish job on the stocks.

What revolver is that in your flap holster?
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

ironhead7544 wrote:Welcome from SW GA. 357 Magnum is a good choice for the M92. I have had several. Nice finish job on the stocks.

What revolver is that in your flap holster?
Thank you ironhead for the kind words.
Thats a heritage rough rider 22 combo in the flap holster.
I made the small pouch, it holds 95 rds of 22 mag, plus five in the cylinder.
also made a cross draw holster for it, I like the flap holster better though, because it keeps the gun completely covered and protected if im out hunting or trapping, or woods walking through heavy brush.
heres a pic next to a single six.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Mad Trapper wrote: Thank you joec.
That is a nice rig.
Love those grips to.

He and his Grandson went hunting together and they took a Bobcat, he sent it to me, I cut it up and made he and his grandson each a hunting bag from it.

Here is one from a Fox.
I wrapped the knife sheath in leftover hide, and used a Deer leg bone for the handle.
Good looking bags there, however I can't show my wife the Bobcat hide bags. She had a pet bob cat when we got married in 64 and I had to dobs. Her cat used to terrorize me dobs but it had a bad rear leg. She got it when it was a kitten and had it for about 5 years. My dogs caught it one day when it hung up in the fence and killed it. She has never gotten over it and the dogs soon where given to a K9 outfit. After all these years we only have a couple of cats now but no more dobs or bobcats. ;)

I seriously considering getting a cross draw holster for my Raging Bull 454 Casull made. I'm using a nylon shoulder rig now for it I bought when I got the gun. I've often thought about picking up a Heritage 22LR/22Mag since I haven't owned a 22 in decades now. Used to have a Ruger Single 6 but gave it to one of my sons.
Joe
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

joec wrote:
Mad Trapper wrote: Thank you joec.
That is a nice rig.
Love those grips to.

Here is one from a Fox.
Good looking bags there, however I can't show my wife the Bobcat hide bags. She had a pet bob cat when we got married in 64 and I had to dobs. Her cat used to terrorize me dobs but it had a bad rear leg. She got it when it was a kitten and had it for about 5 years. My dogs caught it one day when it hung up in the fence and killed it. She has never gotten over it and the dogs soon where given to a K9 outfit. After all these years we only have a couple of cats now but no more dobs or bobcats. ;)

I seriously considering getting a cross draw holster for my Raging Bull 454 Casull made. I'm using a nylon shoulder rig now for it I bought when I got the gun. I've often thought about picking up a Heritage 22LR/22Mag since I haven't owned a 22 in decades now. Used to have a Ruger Single 6 but gave it to one of my sons.
Thank you Joe.
I am seriously considering this Taurus SAA.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... SA+FS+CHBL
Buds is out, but its in my wish list, so they will email when it comes in.
Now is that a perfect match with a rossi/Taurus 357 lever or what.
Those heritage RR are a big hit down here, people around me are on a fixed income and dont have much money to spare.
So when they can buy a 22 combo revolver for under $200.00, they jump on it.
Basically a gun for the common man.
I will always have it with me, either on my side or packed away in my pack or bedroll
Local gun and pawn in tyner said they cant keep them in stock.
They have the aluminum frame, so the finish wears off rather quickly, but the locals say, they dont look like much, but they shoot straight
Buds emailed yesterday that they had a 9" barrel heritage that just came in, $204.00.
I wanted the 9" for strictly hunting, would have made myself a nice crossdraw holster for it
But yesterday morning I stopped by KY outdoorsman and picked up 400 rds of PMC bronze rd nose 38 special.
It was $21.99 per box, got 8 boxes, so spent the money on ammo instead
I wanted 357 but they had none, so went for the 38 since I drove all the way from jackson co. so wanted to get something as not to be a waist of time
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

If I get the taurus, I will get the Hickock Eagle grips for it.
thank you for that site Joe.
http://www.gripmaker.com/sculpted-designs.html
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Mad Trapper wrote:If I get the taurus, I will get the Hickock Eagle grips for it.
thank you for that site Joe.
http://www.gripmaker.com/sculpted-designs.html
I actually like the walnut grips however when I got the 7 1/2" barrel which I've wanted since I was a kid. My mind was made up to match it to Matt Dillion's gun from Gunsmoke. Come to find out he used the same Cimarron/Uberti in the TV show, as I have and the natural stag horn is as close as it gets.
Joe