First post and first Rossi Lever

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

First post and first Rossi Lever

Post by Mad Trapper »

I purchased my first Rossi Taurus Lever rifle a few weeks past.
Very fine rifle indeed, I really love this rifle.
I was looking for a working rifle that was compact, easy to carry, fast handling, etc.
I purchased the George McQueen Farm about seven years past, George is the fourth great grandfather, or there abouts, of Steve McQueen.
Im in Southeast KY, next to the Daniel Boone Forest.
I try to get out and hunt,trap and fish, when I am able.
I needed a light,compact rifle to throw over my back that isnt a burden to me while im out.
this Rossi fits the bill.
At first I first wanted the 24" barrel version, but the 16" was all Buds had at the time, so I went for it.
I particularly didnt want the large loop either, but I like it now, be good this winter when Im wearing heavy mittens.
I got the Rossi in 38/357, since im already set up for those two rds.
I got Steves dvd and a spring kit from Brownells, tore it down, replaced all springs, filed and stoned some sharp edges, very smooth now,
I was hitting a 3x5 card at 50 yds, right out of the box.
Gave it a 1/2 dozen coats of tru oil, added sling swivels and made a butt cuff/cartridge loops and sling with some scrap leather I had.
removed the safety also.
Heres a pic of my cabin.
Stones in the fireplace date back to the first home built by George in the 1760s.
Ive been working on the wood pile getting ready for winter.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: First post and first Rossi Lever

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum Mad Trapper, like looking rifle and a great looking place! The three of you fit like a glove! Looks like you have the R92 setup. Your first image is going to end up in the header a little later today!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice and welcome
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Welcome from just up the road from you in Lexington soon to be elsewhere in the state hopefully. I got the 45 Colt with 20" octagon barrel and wished now it came with the big loop. Bought a Rio Grande in 45-70 from Bud's that had the big loop and at that point feel in love with them.
Joe
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Ranch Dog wrote:Welcome to the forum Mad Trapper, like looking rifle and a great looking place! The three of you fit like a glove! Looks like you have the R92 setup. Your first image is going to end up in the header a little later today!
Thank you Ranch Dog for the kind words.
Its the 92, but I noticed the box said M92.
I dont know the difference between the r and m
Im guessing it may be rd barrel or octagon barrel.
This one has the rd barrel.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

akuser47 wrote:Nice and welcome
Thank you akuser47
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

joec wrote:Welcome from just up the road from you in Lexington soon to be elsewhere in the state hopefully. I got the 45 Colt with 20" octagon barrel and wished now it came with the big loop. Bought a Rio Grande in 45-70 from Bud's that had the big loop and at that point feel in love with them.
Thank you joec.
Im about 1 1/2 hrs southeast of lexington,
Got the rossi right there at buds in lexington
I was tempted to get the 45 colt, but Ive only got about 200 rds of 45 in stock, and im not set up to reload 45.
A few years back I bought a blackhawk in 357, and put back a thousand rds each of 38 and 357, so I had to go with the 357.
Ive got a 58 remington with a 45 conversion cylinder, thats all I have in 45.
It would cost me a small fortune to put back a couple thousand rds of 45 and then buy 45 reloading equipment,dies,presses,primers, if I could even find them, brass, etc.
I feel sorry for anyone starting out right now with buying ammo and reloading.
So I just went with the 357.
thought about a 44-40, but just like 45, im not set up for it.
Right now im only reloading 45-70.
Bought a H&R BC several years back, so im just reloading for it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Mad Trapper wrote:Its the 92, but I noticed the box said M92. I dont know the difference between the r and m
This is probably just me but I refer to the Rossi Model 92 as the R92 in that the cataloged references are R92 then the hyphenated model numbers. I'm not sure if they do that because the Winchesters are the real M92. Even Browning cataloged their 92s as a B92. :?:
Michael
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Mad Trapper wrote:Its the 92, but I noticed the box said M92. I dont know the difference between the r and m
This is probably just me but I refer to the Rossi Model 92 as the R92 in that the cataloged references are R92 then the hyphenated model numbers. I'm not sure if they do that because the Winchesters are the real M92. Even Browning cataloged their 92s as a B92. :?:
Thank you Ranch Dog for the info.
I have the blackhawk in 357, but may match it up with a 22 revolver whenever im out with it.
i have a single six and a RR, both in 22 combo.
either one would work.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Another cowboy action shooter I see. I'm shooting with a NCOWS group in Shelbyville when I get a chance. I'm with you though on buying a different caliber than a side arm as I started with the Colt 45 so stuck with it hence the 45 R92 or M92 as it is actually designated by Rossi. Here is a shot of my rig with one of my 3 45 Colt 1873 models by Uberti/Cimarron. The holster is made by Cliff Fendley who shoots with my group as well as makes knives. He made me this setup with another holster for the 4.75" and 5.5" barrel 45 Colt but he picture of is my 7.5" barrel model. The holster is period correct for the 1880's with a pattern by F.A. Meanea called a Cheyenne which is really a Mexican double loop style. I've shot everything in my Rossi 92 from black powder to 300 gr black bear loads. I done about the same with my Rio Grande 45-70 also though the largest there so far has been 535 gr WFN. If and when you get into reloading give me a holler as I would be more than glad to assist you getting started.
Rig1_md.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe