Two new 92s Holy COW!!! Rossi kicks AZZ!!!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Two new 92s Holy COW!!! Rossi kicks AZZ!!!

Post by pricedo »

They're neat little guns that are a lot of fun to own and shoot....... more so if you like to tinker ........ less so if you don't.
I see that magazine retention is becoming a problem for those who shoot lots of heavier loads.
For the less than a dozen shots a year hunters their 92s will probably outlive them and be relatively problem free.
The Rossi guns have their bad points and good points.
It is what it is.
Are they up to snuff with my Pedersoli 86/71, BLR 81 or my Winchester 94 Trails End carbine that cost 4 times as much?
Of course not.
Will I be selling all my other brands of guns and owning exclusively Rossis?
Of course not.
The Rossi 92s are budget priced utility fun-guns that have their good points and bad points.
Whadya want for $400?.......an H & H or Westley-Richards? :mrgreen:
It is what it is.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

akuser47 wrote:I think this falls into the phrase of if it's fine we rarely hear praise for them but when there is issues everone wants to sing it to the world. It is always a gamble with any gun if you do not do your homework. I am pleased yours are GTG. I think most are GTG it's just those few that get burnt that spread the hate on ROSSI brand.
Pretty much.

I put them in the same category as Century built firearms. The angry beavers at Century get it right most of the time, but the failures are frequent enough and the QA poor enough that a substantial number of mistakes go out the door. And when the happens, more often than not, the new owner will complain in a loud and public manner. There was also a point of critical mass with Century and once the bad reputation got bad enough, shooters who had good Century built models stopped saying anything as it was not worth the uphill fight trying to argue that not all of them were bad.

Rossi or Century, it's made worse when buyers order them on-line and then fail to do a thorough inspection before accepting the rifle or carbine. I usually end up paying a little more for mine but with both Rossi and century rifles I buy them in the shop with a dealer who will take them back (in a reasonable period of time) if you find they shoot or function badly on the range. The shop I do the most business with is upfront that Rossi and Taurus are the guns they return the most for mechanical problems.

That's one of the reasons I like this site as it spreads the positives about Rossi firearms, not just the negatives.
Rossi's overall are good guns and superb values. With very little sweat equity you can take a $500 lever gun and get looks and performance that would cost you $800 to $1000 from anyone else. It's more than a fair trade off for having to be well informed when you purchase one.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

dpe.ahoy wrote: Taking the 24" octagon barrel 357 with me tomorrow to the cabin, she hasn't been out for a while. Congrats on your 92's! DP

I'd love to go with ya....I have spent more time in Montana then I have any other state other then Commyfornia. I really like it up there. I have family in Roundup.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I approach any given Rossi like I do anything else......with a engineers frame of mind.
Pragmatic to a fault.
Back when they had the 3-D movies at the drive-in I would be the only one in the audience not wearing those plastic glasses they handed out at the ticket booth.
I like to see things exactly as they are.
Playing things down or playing them up.......what's the point?
I go gun by gun in making my assessments.
If the gun is great I say so.
If the gun is garbage I say so.
It is what it is.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

pricedo wrote:I approach any given Rossi like I do anything else......with a engineers frame of mind.
Pragmatic to a fault.
Back when they had the 3-D movies at the drive-in I would be the only one in the audience not wearing those plastic glasses they handed out at the ticket booth.
I like to see things exactly as they are.
Playing things down or playing them up.......what's the point?
I go gun by gun in making my assessments.
If the gun is great I say so.
If the gun is garbage I say so.
It is what it is.
Heck yes well put! +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
wallythacker

Post by wallythacker »

I do plan on the performing the basics,

Stoning the sharp and rough edges off, replacing the plastic follower, maybe changing springs, and rubbing the stock down with tru-oil. What else? I think maybe something about the ejector?

What's amazing is I don't HAVE to do those things with my Rossi but if I don't with my new marlin then my Marlin will still be a slightly rough, unreliable and no fun to use rifle.

What else could you buy that is GTG from the box, responds great to tuning, is accurate and reliable all for $495?

The only other rifles in this range are the Savage Axis and Ruger American. I have an axis and it's a 1/2 moa shooter from the box! But there's no way my axis could be called a "fun" rifle like the Rossi. The Rossi could be called the ultimate truck gun but it's too damn pretty to be bounced around although I bet it could take it.

I'm having a hard time figuring out adding a picture.
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

wallythacker wrote:I do plan on the performing the basics,

Stoning the sharp and rough edges off, replacing the plastic follower, maybe changing springs, and rubbing the stock down with tru-oil. What else? I think maybe something about the ejector?

What's amazing is I don't HAVE to do those things with my Rossi but if I don't with my new marlin then my Marlin will still be a slightly rough, unreliable and no fun to use rifle.

What else could you buy that is GTG from the box, responds great to tuning, is accurate and reliable all for $495?

The only other rifles in this range are the Savage Axis and Ruger American. I have an axis and it's a 1/2 moa shooter from the box! But there's no way my axis could be called a "fun" rifle like the Rossi. The Rossi could be called the ultimate truck gun but it's too damn pretty to be bounced around although I bet it could take it.

The ejector is fine, it's the spring that gets changed for a lighter one. The hammer spring and magazine springs get shortened slightly and the leave springs on the loading gate and trigger return are also thinned a bit to lower the tension on them.

The detents for the cartridge guide benefit from some polishing as does the lever detent plunger.

The Stevesgunz DVD is worth getting and it can be bought as a kit with the new ejector spring and magazine follower.

----

I post pictures by uploading them to photobucket (you can set up a free account, but after it gets so much traffic, you may have to upgrade to an annual members ship). Once you have the picture uploaded there, you can copy and past a direct image link into your post.

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

wallythacker wrote:I do plan on the performing the basics,

Congrats on getting a good Rossi 92.
I don't have an Axis but I have 3 Savage bolt rifles that have served me well and are very accurate.
Enjoy. +guns
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
wallythacker

Post by wallythacker »

thanks for help posting pictures. I'll set up an account later today.

Someone here mentioned they also buy firearms in pairs. I generally buy 2 if its a rifle and <$500. one gets kept, one is sold, hopefully for a small profit. if I love them both they both stay.

for pistols I generally buy used as my tastes only get satisfied with certain older guns. I got lucky though and found a pair of Tokarev pistols in chrome. got a great price too.