Henry 45-70

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Henry 45-70

Post by Steelbanger »

Has anyone seen one of the Henry 45-70's? Ditto question for one of their 30-30's? I just picked up Henry's 2012 catalog and that is where I saw these models.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Henry 45-70

Post by Ranch Dog »

I have not handled one but the 30-30s are finally hitting the range and woods. I think both the H009 & H010 (45-70 Govt) where introduced by the Company in 2010. I noticed they keep rolling the year back in the text of 45-70 page. I like the look of the blue and walnut rifles and the sight system they are using.

Henry_4570.jpg
[/url]

The only thing I don't care for is the method of reloading the magazine, it is via the forward end of the magazine tube like that of the Marlin 39A. Henry lists the retail at $800 which would keep me from buying one but I am signed up for a "in stock" notification at Buds where they list the price as $582. I would buy one at that but not much more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I was at a new gun store her in my city and they had alot of levers in stock from winjaps to remlins and alot of henries from the big boy .44 mag, .357, and 3030, .22lr. They had my ol rossi 92's in .357,.44mag, .45LC as well the riogrande 3030 and they had a henry mares leg that was sexy with the brass on it. I have a new place to go and droll over guns I cannot afford and to work deals on the ones I can. I only saw a few 4570 and they were mostly the uberti sharps models but still sexy so were the uberti levers.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I handled a Henry in .30-30 one time at a gun shop that weighed close to 9 pounds (more than my Sako .375 H&H) !!
Needless to say I didn't handle it again.
In regards to the new gun in the OPs picture......7.08 pounds is light for a.45-70........that's a good point.
Looks like Henry smartened up and lightened up the package.
This Henry is NOT eye candy & there's no chance of me falling in love with one of these at first sight like a Pedersoli or a Turnbull because of its looks.
My mind keeps telling me there's something missing whenever I look at a Henry rifle.........a receiver loading port.
I've heard from several sources about stamped internal parts including the extractor & functional problems.
A "hands on" range report from someone who owns one would definitely shine some light on the matter.
The price for this rather homely package is kinda steep at a MSRP of $799.
Thanks but no thanks......there's no way I'll be throwing $800 on the counter for one of these clunky looking things anytime soon.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Concerning the 30-30, this is what I've heard from customers. Its too heavy.

All typos courtesy of DROIDX!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:I have not handled one but the 30-30s are finally hitting the range and woods. I think both the H009 & H010 (45-70 Govt) where introduced by the Company in 2010. I noticed they keep rolling the year back in the text of 45-70 page. I like the look of the blue and walnut rifles and the sight system they are using.

Henry_4570.jpg
[/url]

The only thing I don't care for is the method of reloading the magazine, it is via the forward end of the magazine tube like that of the Marlin 39A. Henry lists the retail at $800 which would keep me from buying one but I am signed up for a "in stock" notification at Buds where they list the price as $582. I would buy one at that but not much more.
I don't know about the Henry rifles "hitting the range and woods".
I see Remingtons, Marlins, Savages, Winchesters & Rossis fairly often at hunt camps & shooting ranges but can't recall seeing a single Henry outside a gun shop.
Reason: too darn heavy & too darn expensive for what you get.
When you can buy a Mossy 464 .30-30 that's 1/2 the weight for 1/2 the money that'll fill the same freezer without dislocating your shoulder who's going to lug a piece of iron around that hefts like a pig on a shovel & isn't much prettier?
The ONLY thing I liked about the pictured Henry levergun that I would like incorporated into the Rossi 92 rifles is the sighting system.
If Rossi would put the Henry Ghost Ring sighting system on their R92s instead of that ludicrous, unsightly safety they would be well on their way to capturing the light levergun market in North America.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
kliff
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by kliff »

I own one of the "pigs on a shovel," in 45LC with that heavy octagonal barrel. And I'll grant you it is no wimps rifle, it will wear you out toting it through the woods all day. But it is the smootest action, out of the box, I have ever felt, and has fed every last round that's been put in it. Factory or reloads. Ugly? Personal taste, I think it's beatiful. But then the only ugly lever gun I've ever seen, and professed to be ugly is that 21st century rendition, Mo 464 by Mossburg. Again, personal taste, but I think it is yooooogly! :mrgreen:

PS....I paid $590.00 at a local gunshop.
kliff
AR15, 5.56mm home made
'71 Winchester NRA Centennial 30/30
336 Marlin 30/30
Henry Big Boy 45LC
Rossi M92SS 45LC
Rossi Ranch Hand 45LC
Rossi Rio Grande 45-70
Ruger Black Hawk 45LC (x2)
Taurus Judge 45LC/.410
Taurus Tracker 357
Colt Gov't Mod
Puddle-jumper
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Puddle-jumper »

I will up-date this thread with some pictures of one of my "other" lever guns.

This is my Henry Big-Boy 44Magnum/44Special. I agree it is a heavy gun and
would be a load to carry in the woods but I like to shoot it and really like the
action. I think the solid brass receiver and barrel band along with the nice
grain walnut stock and forearm make it an attractive rifle. Slick action
and chambers both Magnum and specials alike.

______________________-
Charles
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've been wondering about the H010 as of late, I noticed that Bud's had dropped it from their product list. That usually means that it has been dropped by the manufacturer. Davidson's list's it as "Allocated", which means:

"An allocated item is one where the demand for it far out steps the supply of an item, therefore enabling Davidson’s to sell all receipts of the item in less than a week and many times in a matter of hours. It is Davidson’s goal to offer allocated items to the dealers that are supporting our company with purchases of non-allocated products. Therefore, they are not available for commitment to consumers, as the dealers may have previous commitments to their valued customers."

...In other words;if it becomes available, it will not be available through the Gallery of Guns.

After 2 years now, may be more from it being listed on the Henry web site and based on Bud's dropping it, I think it is possibly a pipe dream. I hope not but come on, what is the hold up?
Michael
Pepe Ray
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Pepe Ray »

Alloe me to propose a slightly different view.
Foe example;
I was employed by a Wholesailer which also maintained a popular retail outlet. During times of high demand for a product
such as the rush for M29 S&W's in the '70's, you'd never find one in our retail store. They would be "allocated" to the smaller retail stores
based on their dollar value of business during the previous years.
I've seen "big shot's" from in town who thought that they "knew well" the Boss, come into the retail store, whip out a roll of hundreds big enough to choke a horse, and get denied. Even tho we had a half dozen in stock that hadn't been shipped out yet.
Ya gutta no which side of the bread your butter's on.
The Boss could have made several hundreds of dollars by catering to the "big sh#ts" but he chose to honor his loyal customers.

Maybe this doesn't apply here but it looks familiar to me.
Pepe Ray
Salvation is ONLY through JESUS.
Freedom is ONLY through ETERNAL VIGILANCE and SACRIFICE.