Interarms Rossi 92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Cheap870

Interarms Rossi 92

Post by Cheap870 »

I purchased this Rossi new in 1997 & was wondering the value of it.
I would say its condition is 95 to 98 % just because it has been fired.
I've read how the actions are stiff on these guns but I have to say in my opinion this one is smooth.

I know the pics aren't that good.
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Interarms Rossi 92

Post by Model 52 »

I saw an Interarms Rossi in .44-40 a few weeks ago for $350 in similar condition, but without the big loop lever.

That's roughly consistent with this on on GB with good metal but a significant ding on the stock for $300.
Last edited by Model 52 on 27 Jul 2013 07:03, edited 1 time in total.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

About $350
Maybe up to $425 cause the w/m fitting, bluing, finish all look good and no lawyer safety junk.
. +corn
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Cheap870

Post by Cheap870 »

Yes everything fits good. The only complaint I have with it is the sights.
I wish it had buckhorn sights. It's a quick handling rifle & the accuracy is as good as the sights allow.
I have shot some Full Power 45's through it & have to say the gun handles it better then my shoulder.
I all so bought a model 62 the same time I bought the 92, but I sold it because of the sights.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Cheap870 wrote:Yes everything fits good. The only complaint I have with it is the sights.
I wish it had buckhorn sights. It's a quick handling rifle & the accuracy is as good as the sights allow.
I have shot some Full Power 45's through it & have to say the gun handles it better then my shoulder.
I all so bought a model 62 the same time I bought the 92, but I sold it because of the sights.
There has been much adieu and fanfare about the inadequacy of the Rossi factory semi-buckhorn sights and new 92 owners replace them almost automatically without due process (range test) with peep sights, jury rigged x/s sighting systems, scout scopes, whatever because others thought it was the thing to do.
I'll tinker with something if it isn't working for me and needs fixing but I don't tinker just for the sake of tinkering. If it ain't broke I don't fix it.
I like the factory iron sights and they've been doing the job for me (most bullets in the 10-ring @ 50 yards) and as long as that's remains the case they'll be staying on the guns.
The 92s are quick handling and accurate 50 - 150 (on a nice clear day) yard brush guns.
If I need to shoot beyond 150 yards I take a scoped bolt action.
Like Dad used to say......."using the right tool for the job is the key to success".
I hate the idea of an animal (even vermin) being wounded and dying a slow agonizing death in the bush because I used the wrong gun for the job.
I like my Rossis and leverguns in general but they're just one brand and style of gun among many in my gun safes and I am fully cognizant of their (and my own) limitations as well as their strengths.
If some other gun is more suitable to the task at hand it gets used.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Cheap870

Post by Cheap870 »

I'm not saying I can't hit what I'm shooting at out to 100y, I'm saying I prefer buckhorn & bead sights.
And as far as the sights on the 62 I had (which were the same as the 92) they were only good for tin cans out to 25y. It was no squirrel rifle.
They are handgun sights.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I like the sights on my original Winchesters because they are a lot finer and more precise than the Rossi sights.
I also noticed with the Rossi sights on my M94/454 that when I was using lighter faster bullets I was running out of vertical adjustment because the front post was too low.
When I switched to 335 grain bullets the original factory sights worked fine.
I'd rather have Marble or Skinner sights on my Rossi 92s but decided that the difference didn't justify the expense and I like to keep the 92s as close to the original legacy configuration as possible.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

The Winchester sights are better finished and more refined. I like that the rear sight can be fine tuned for elevation on the lowest step, and that the elevator steps are then generally pretty well matched to 50 or 100 yard increments on the rifles.

But in terms of actual sight picture the Rossi sights on my 20" Carbine was not significantly different than any of my Winchester carbines in terms of the rear sight. The Rossi rear sight was essentially identical to what came on my 24" Armi Sport Model 92, just not as finely polished and blued.

However in terms of the front sights, Rossi's front blades are generally crap - too high, too wide and too roughly finished.

I've also noted the rear blades vary by model with some u notched like the Winchester sights, some have square notch pistol style sights and some have a semi-buckhorn sight. I've never paid enough attention to recall what I saw on what models.