Make a 92 Caliber .41 Magnum

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Make a 92 Caliber .41 Magnum

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
As you all well know there is a dire lack of caliber .41 magnum lever actions. I fortunately bought a CB Marlin years back but also would not mind having a 92 Carbine in .41 Magnum.
Anyone done so yet ?
Start with a caliber .44 mag and sleeve the barrel. The rim would be a few hairs loose in the bolt but the guide rails would probably work out well. Plus the feed gate and magazine would already be the right size. Maybe have to add a little metal to the cartrige stop.
What do you all think ?
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Make a 92 Caliber .41 Magnum

Post by 44-40 Willy »

There was a thread on this over at Paco Kelly's leverguns forum a couple of months ago. Steve of Steve's Guns said that he has worked on one of the ultra rare factory Rossi 92s in 41 Mag. He also said that a conversion wouldn't be as easy as it looks. That being said, he didn't say it was impossible.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... lit=41+Mag
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Thank you 44-40
Read the whole stack of posts ! That was very useful and confirmed that it would be possible without to many hoops to get through.
Just have to start the search for a rusty ugly 92.
Thhanks !!! Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

If you get this done, be sure to walk us through it. I would LOVE to have a 41 mag in a lever gun. Have considered having one of my 357's reworked, or a 44. I have to go back and read the link. DP
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I would like to find the factory R92 41 Mag and try to buy it!
Michael
olderndirt

Post by olderndirt »

I used to have a Rossi in 41 Mag. it got stolen out of my truck in the 90's, I sure miss that old gun. Shot good and was real handy. Killed a few deer and lots of jackrabbits. Even killed a few coyotes and turkeys.
Naturally the police never found the gun and I have not been able to find one since. Also had a Marlin 1894 in 41 that I loaned out and it never came home after that, still don't know what happened to that one. Friend died and wife did not know anything about the gun. I did find a 1894 to replace that one with.
dionesius3

Post by dionesius3 »

They Rossi did make the 41 mag. back in the eighties but apparently they didn't sell well enough to justify continuing. I believe they also made a short run of some 20" 92's during the late 1980's or early 1990's but there were not many of these.

I still wish for .45 ACP which could not only be done but would sell like hotcakes on a cold morning. They can and did make a few production samples of the 92's in .45ACP back in the early 1980's and showed them around to test the interest and they decided not to pursue it at that time. Lever Guns in those days were not selling very briskly.

I say it's time they dusted off the idea and started making .45ACP, .40S&W, 10MM, 9MM, and 38-40, and why not a few more .41mags as well.

But as things are today, they can't even keep up with the demand for the ones they are producing so don't look for expanded product lines anytime soon.