Universal Clays Powder

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Universal Clays Powder

Post by ironhead7544 »

Anyone using this powder? I have been using Unique for a long time but recently it has been hard to find. Picked up a big bottle of this as a replacement.

How does it work for you? M92/revolver in the magnums and Specials?

Thanks, Bob
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Universal Clays Powder

Post by Ranch Dog »

I have a pound of it, one of those powders I bought because "there surely must be a use of it". The only place I have tested it is in my small cartridge semi-autos, 25 ACP, 32 ACP, 380 Auto & 9X18 Makarov, but I'm not using it for any loads at this time. When compared against Universal, HP-38, TiteGroup, & HS6, Clays is always at the bottom of the heap in velocity, a good 100 FPS short of the maximums the others offer. My shooting has shown it to be better than Unique in these applications because the powder is limited by the case capacity like Unique typically ends up being; hence, it has produced better velocities than Unique.

I have not used it in the 38 Spl, 357 Mag, 41 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, or 480 Ruger for the same reason but the velocity performance difference is huge, just eyeball my records... 650 to 950 FPS less than shooting a powder like Lil' Gun. I know you are going to want to know about accuracy but in the first few shots when I see such low velocities I shot the shooting and pull the components as I don't want to pop a primer that bad.

Another powder I purchased for the same reason, was International. I had a bit of a tough time figuring it out but it has ended up being a great low pressure semi-auto powder and I use it in my 25 ACP, 32 ACP, 380 Auto, 9X18 Makarov, and 45 ACP. For the given pressure, it will out velocity any offering and is usually tops in accuracy.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

I have use Universal Clays and Clays in my 9mm, 45 ACP and 45 Colt loads with both cast and jacketed bullets. I like both due to them being some of the cleanest powders I've shot. I also use the plain Clays in shot shells when I load them up though not often as those I usually use black powder. I kind of lean to the universal for pistol calibers though it is also suited to shotguns.
Joe
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I use it with 38 special loads, .45 acp and 9mm. Love it for it being around but it does seem to be the least favorite of the bunch of powders listed. I have at least 3.5 pounds of it I got it cheap and do not mind shoting it. I do like hp38 more though.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

akuser47 wrote:I use it with 38 special loads, .45 acp and 9mm. Love it for it being around but it does seem to be the least favorite of the bunch of powders listed. I have at least 3.5 pounds of it I got it cheap and do not mind shoting it. I do like hp38 more though.
I also prefer HP-38 myself. Unique and Bullseye are my least favor for the 3 calibers I previous listed. Bullseye because it flat doesn't meter well at all.
Joe
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Guys: thanks for the info. So far I loaded up some 200 gr RNFP cast in 44 Special with the max that Hodgdon shows. Seems to be a nice light load but still lets you know you are shooting a big bore. Only plinked a little with 50 rounds through a Ruger Flattop Bisley and a New Vaquero. Didnt check velocity but will next time in rifle and pistol. Did some research and found a big discrepancy in charges being listed. One manual shows a start load that is .7 grains higher than the max load that Hodgdon shows. According to the burn rate chart, Universal is a bit faster than Unique. Seems to produce more velocity than Unique with the same charge/bullet.

I am going to load a number of bullets and will report here on what I get with the rifle and handgun.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Joe,

You better watch it bad mouthing Unique like that. :lol:

I too use HP38 in mid power loads, when I want clean burning like in an auto, it's hard to beat. Unique will make a mess in that kind of load. BUT in 38 special, a lyman 358156 and 4.5 of Unique, is one of those almost magic combinations. Just like 9.0 Unique and a 429421 in a 44 mag. Dirty as all get out (mostly because of the lube), but worth it because of the accurcy. I sometimes leave the range with black goo all over my face, cause I cant keep my hands off of it. I never think about it until people at the grocery store look at me funny.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

donhuff wrote:Joe,

You better watch it bad mouthing Unique like that. :lol:

I too use HP38 in mid power loads, when I want clean burning like in an auto, it's hard to beat. Unique will make a mess in that kind of load. BUT in 38 special, a lyman 358156 and 4.5 of Unique, is one of those almost magic combinations. Just like 9.0 Unique and a 429421 in a 44 mag. Dirty as all get out (mostly because of the lube), but worth it because of the accurcy. I sometimes leave the range with black goo all over my face, cause I cant keep my hands off of it. I never think about it until people at the grocery store look at me funny.
Will do but do use Unique in some cowboy loads but as you say it is very dirty in a bottom feeder type gun. Bullseye shoot great it just doesn't meter well for me and though I have it and use it I have to throw light loads and trickle up to what I want which is somewhat time consuming for 45 ACP or 9mm. I've actually have gone to TiteGroup for the 9mm and 45 ACP but then I weigh each and every load as too easy to double or even triple load with it.
Joe
mikld

Post by mikld »

I use Universal in the same cartridges I use Unique. Not interchangeable, loads differ, but real close performance.