Snake shot through the 92?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
.Dirty-.Thirty

Snake shot through the 92?

Post by .Dirty-.Thirty »

Was wondering if anyone shoots the CCI snakeshot loads in a 92. If not what do you guys use on fanged varmints?
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Snake shot through the 92?

Post by Rooster59 »

Either a 410 with 6 shot, because I have an abundance of old shells like this. Or a 12ga with 7.5 shot because it really blankets the target with effectiveness. :)
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I heard the older shot loaded cartridges that you could buy for the handgun calibers years ago leaded up barrels but the more recent ones feature plastic capsules that contain the shot and don't allow it to dissipate until it leaves the barrel.
Regardless, I prefer solid bullets for small game.
For varmints and pests where the meat is not harvested I guess the shot loaded rounds would be OK.
One aspect of using shot cartridges for pest/snake disposal; around homes and built up areas is that it will not penetrate walls to hurt the occupants of nearby dwellings like solid projectiles do.
No wounding of game with solids.......you either hit or you miss.
Not keen on shotgun harvested game any more.
Broke one back molar on a #4 shot from eating roast duck and have no desire to relive that excruciating experience.

* I've used the factory loaded 44 special shot shells in my S&W model 29 to kill rats...........good for about 5 feet range...........looked like it was loaded with #7 1/2 bird shot.
Can't see why they wouldn't work in a Rossi M92/44 loaded into the chamber one at a time.
Those blue plastic caps are shaped like full wad cutters so I don't know about cycling them through the action. :?:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I shot a 38 Special shot cartridge in my 1892 once, just to see how it worked out. Not much range to it and had to single load it into the chamber. I didn't try to work it through the action as that just didn't seem like a good idea.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Wills Point Pete

Post by Wills Point Pete »

I've used the Speer shot caps in my 24 inch R92 .45 Colt as well as a 1894C Marlin .357. I've used both the factory and handloads. About eight feet from the muzzle is about as far as I'd try, after that there are too many holes in the pattern. The range is actually somewhat better from a handgun. The good news is that most of our snakes in my neck o' the woods will follow the muzzle so if I stick the shootin' iron out one handed from out of reach and wiggle the muzzle side to side the snake does the aiming for me.

"Course if I'm out of striking range, why shoot the snake?
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Wills Point Pete wrote: "Course if I'm out of striking range, why shoot the snake?
Because I have three very inquisitive bird dogs who I can't afford to get an infection from any snake much less the infrequent opportunity to encounter a poisonous one. Snakes on my property are gone. Snakes anywhere else are just fine where they are unless they appear ready to strike.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver